WINTER BUILD OFF PRIZE THREAD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two. Sinister Splurge and my 20's Elgin. Two multi-speeds, and a couple of kickback/autos I believe from looking at the finished thread..

Putting up a 3-spd sturmey archer "Austria" hub. No other markings. Nuts look original chrome. Luke, for 3rd(for threespd), or you can give out as you choose!
IMG_3627_zps7stom5o8.jpg

IMG_3628_zpsuaf3cgnh.jpg
There's a very heated battle for third. It's a three way tie at the moment!

I have a 3 speed on 1910.Does that count?;)
I need another 3 speed for my next build.

Ha! Is it a hub, or a gearbox? Let's add it to the list....three for three!

Ha! Is it a hub, or a gearbox? Let's add it to the list....three for three!
I have a vintage sachs-Torpedo 3 gear hub,thats what the suicide shifter is for...

I have a vintage sachs-Torpedo 3 gear hub,thats what the suicide shifter is for...
OOPS! Missed it when I saw the wheels & hub you planned to strip. My bad! If I had paid closer attention to your final wheels, I would have seen your early Sachs 3111, a very much unseen and under-appreciated bicycle hub. It may have even affected my voting if I saw it! :blush:
The Schwinn Austria SA is still up for grabs! The race for 3rd for the 3spd is between 3 now!!! Thanks funk.

OOPS! Missed it when I saw the wheels & hub you planned to strip. My bad! If I had paid closer attention to your final wheels, I would have seen your early Sachs 3111, a very much unseen and under-appreciated bicycle hub. It may have even affected my voting if I saw it! :blush:
The Schwinn Austria SA is still up for grabs! The race for 3rd for the 3spd is between 3 now!!! Thanks funk.
You see threads get overlooked sometimes...I miss a lot also,it's hard when you are building.
I like those old hubs,they just keep going.

Winners for these prizes have been contacted and they will be on the way soon!
Congrats to everyone for an awesome build off.:thumbsup:

Barn Rod by @@Psycho Sammi, has won Best Rusty Rat Rod Bike. This was picked by my girlfriend and myself. And this is the prize.
0308152145.jpg

Reasonable facsimile thereof by @@us56456712, has won for Last Place Prize.
Giving him a brake! I am sure he will put this to use on his next build.
0110151943-1.jpg

Your prize is on it's way to you,I hope you open many a bottle with it.
Let me know on it's arrival.
Like I said a very cool bike with lots of interesting talking points...
Congrats on a nice ride!!!

GOT IT yesterday! Thanks, for right now, I have it proudly displayed in my bike shop!

GOT IT yesterday! Thanks, for right now, I have it proudly displayed in my bike shop!
Cool they gave me a tracking no: and it showed the delivery.
Enjoy a drink or 2...

I got the booby prize brake lever in todays mail. I would like to use it for my BOTEN bike as I am contemplating the use of a front brake. If I use the bars I want then the booby prize won't fit because these old bars are too wide, I spread a stem. Makes fitting grips a challenge too. I will probably have to use a motorcycle lever. If I find better bars I will use those, perhaps bars from a 1980 mountain bike would give me the look I am after.

This would work for the booby prize but I don't care for the alloy look, I like chrome for the build I am thinking about, but that might change to.

Bars I got (too big a diameter for my booby prize).

Thinking about using either one of my Bendix red bands or a Bendix manual 2 speed if I can build one out of the 2 and half ones I have left over from building one for my friend. The axles I have are not real good so we will see about the 2 speed. I re tapped one and the other is a little bent and has rusty pitted threads and would have to be straightened and re taped. I was gong to try and built this over the winter but never got around to more than cleaning and re taping the one axle. I got a dirty feeling that the axes are not usable. I have both the available rear cogs; 18 and 19 tooth and want to use the 19.

Last edited:
I got the booby prize brake lever in todays mail. I would like to use it for my BOTEN bike as I am contemplating the use of a front brake. If I use the bars I want then the booby prize won't fit because these old bars are too wide, I spread a stem. Makes fitting grips a challenge too. I will probably have to use a motorcycle lever. If I find better bars I will use those, perhaps bars from a 1980 mountain bike would give me the look I am after.

This would work for the booby prize but I don't care for the alloy look, I like chrome for the build I am thinking about, but that might change to.

Bars I got (too big a diameter for my booby prize).

Thinking about using either one of my Bendix red bands or a Bendix manual 2 speed if I can build one out of the 2 and half ones I have left over from building one for my friend. The axles I have are not real good so we will see about the 2 speed. I re tapped one and the other is a little bent and has rusty pitted threads and would have to be straightened and re taped. I was gong to try and built this over the winter but never got around to more than cleaning and re taping the one axle. I got a dirty feeling that the axes are not usable. I have both the available rear cogs; 18 and 19 tooth and want to use the 19.
There is always another bike to put it on down the road.:)

I've got more squadron decals. So... the winner will get an assortment of U.S. Navy F/A-18 squadron "Zappers". Like this...

VFA-154_insignia.png
A sack of decals arrived today.
Excellent!!!! Now Ineed to think of a build I can apply them to...
Thanx a mill Mike.
Will post a pic with all the swag and bike when they arrive...

Latest posts

Back