WINTER BUILD-OFF 2015! RULES HERE. Finished.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, do we have to be finished by midnight on the 31st or by midnight on the 1st?

So, do we have to be finished by midnight on the 31st or by midnight on the 1st?
The Renaissance Man squared me away with the answer. According to Luke's post I still have 28 hours and 5 minutes.

Entries close at midnight on the 1st of April. (UTC-6h Central America time, same as used for the main build-off's.

The Renaissance Man squared me away with the answer. According to Luke's post I still have 28 hours and 5 minutes.

Entries close at midnight on the 1st of April. (UTC-6h Central America time, same as used for the main build-off's.
I was actually thinking that it was going to end tonight until I looked into it. That's good news for me also. I might be able to crank the engine on mine and get a ride video tomorrow in time for the deadline! :D

Great variety of bikes in the WBO! Almost every style represented, and a very impressive group of pedalers and non-pedalers. This voting outcome forced me to ask why the wipeout by the gas buggies in the voting with so many nice bicycles? The no rules competition seems to push to the back-seat and discourage functional, pedaling rat bicycles.
I have only one suggestion moving forward to encourage more people to participate in comps.
1.) BO's should be split between motorized and non-motorized., and perhaps modified and non-modified. Too many great riding, beautiful and functional rat-bikes are left behind in the voting process because the flash-bang of chopped or motorized ones which seem to get the most attention. Just the my take on it. Again, I really enjoyed all the bikes that were entered and the opportunity to participate. Great job by everyone, especially those with clear and detailed build threads. And lastly, Congrats to the eventual winner!! :thumbsup: SKPC

I'm not so sure that any one type of bike has an advantage over another in these type competitions. I'm sure that it could be debated endlessly but it seems to me that when it is judged by opinion, it really comes down to an emotional decision when each individual looks at the finished photos. Some bikes give us a nostalgic feeling, others might wow us with shiny bits and doodads or maybe it's a style of bike that excites us the most. In any case, each person who judges the final competition will do so based on how each bike makes them feel when they look at the photos.

Just to illustrate my point, here are two bikes, one with a motor and one without. Does the motorized bike have an advantage?

images

11.jpg

Don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to defend motorized bikes. I'm just saying that there's more to it than just whether it has a motor or not. By the way, I voted for your bike.:)

Got it. I really do appreciate your take on it RM because of your experience here. I do believe though that more people with lesser skills (non-fabricators) will take part if the upcoming giant summer BO encourages it. The wide-open format of the Winter BO was a perfect format for me personally. Timing was good, and I wanted to see how my 35years of Ratting bikes stood up amongst the other styles. Pedaling abilities of the finished bikes are not what people tend to vote for, even though this is critical to me. The "open slate" Winter BO vote showed us in the end what the definition of a Rat Rod Bike was! The vote is in! FYI R.M., I voted for one of the motorized bikes also even though it is not my thing!:crazy: Not dissing cool motorbikes in build-offs, as I enjoy them as much as the pedal-ers, but when voting, you are forced to pick between an apple and an orange Everything I saw here whether it was moto, non-moto, trike, chopper, resto, muscle or Rat was beautiful!! Like you said earlier RM, all are winners here, and the vote turned out pretty close between the "pedalers", which is cool. The wipeout results beg the question though..... Thanks for yours and other builders' thoughts and support RM. Maybe the next BO format will encourage even more participation! Ride On!! SKPC :41:

Last edited:
Great variety of bikes in the WBO! Almost every style represented, and a very impressive group of pedalers and non-pedalers. This voting outcome forced me to ask why the wipeout by the gas buggies in the voting with so many nice bicycles? The no rules competition seems to push to the back-seat and discourage functional, pedaling rat bicycles.
I have only one suggestion moving forward to encourage more people to participate in comps.
1.) BO's should be split between motorized and non-motorized., and perhaps modified and non-modified. Too many great riding, beautiful and functional rat-bikes are left behind in the voting process because the flash-bang of chopped or motorized ones which seem to get the most attention. Just the my take on it. Again, I really enjoyed all the bikes that were entered and the opportunity to participate. Great job by everyone, especially those with clear and detailed build threads. And lastly, Congrats to the eventual winner!! :thumbsup: SKPC
Yeah, I don't know... I've seen build offs with more categories and rules and the smaller groups tend to get ignored. I think the reason the WBO has been gaining popularity is because we're all in it together. Do I think SGT.ROCK would place better with a motor on it as originally planned? Yes, but not because of the motor itself, but because it would've enhanced the WWII motorbike look I was after. IMO, the Indian is leading the pack not because of the motor but because it is the baddest bike out there. If I could have my pick of any of them to have, it would be the Indian.

Carl.

My opinion is this.
  • Motors don't guarantee votes
  • Popularity doesn't guarantee votes
  • Long build threads don't guarantee votes
  • Welding doesn't guarantee votes
  • Detailed build threads don't guarantee votes
  • Doodads or geegaws don't guarantee votes
Build cool bikes and have fun!!!!
Let the votes fall where they may.

Well said KF...Hail to the King.:praise:
I believe at the end of the day,it is up to that individual voters taste and what makes his/her heart flutter.Threads help if voters read them.But a great pic goes a long way.
But it's the whole design/concept of the bike that makes it stand out to be a winner.

Now for anyone who has never ridden or owned a motorized bike.
The engine is there to assist,for hills,just like bikes with gears,except it is a lazy mans version.:grin:
UNTIL you come to a steep hill,then you are left pedaling to assist the engine,then it stalls and you have to push the excessive weight of the whole bike to the top.
On the straight it zips along and is a lot of fun,but you have a choice either to pedal or burn fuel.
On downhill the bike coasters much faster than the motor,so it is useless.You have to pedal the bike to get the engine running,it has to have enough speed to kick over.Unless you have legs like the hulk...:39: would make a great exercise bike.
Having a engine on your bike is mostly for fun or if you have a long way to commute and you are knackered.
It is much easier purchasing a scooter or motorbike.As these motors need attention and chain adjusting etc.They smell n smoke,and the noise:crazy2:
When building a motorized bicycle it is double the work.
The only thing they have going for them is you can ride on the roads with no need for a license(in some countries/states) and that they are fun to whizz around on.

Last edited:
GC. Voting is subjective, but is seems important to people, that's why I mentioned it here. If you separated the WBO15 vote into catagories, the results would be accurate. But in an open format, you will never get "fairness". It's for pushing the limits of experienced builders I think, but may also drive people away from the BO's. Just my take on it. Perfect for me, not so for the masses..

GC. Voting is subjective, but is seems important to people, that's why I mentioned it here. If you separated the WBO15 vote into catagories, the results would be accurate. But in an open format, you will never get "fairness". It's for pushing the limits of experienced builders I think, but may also drive people away from the BO's. Just my take on it. Perfect for me, not so for the masses..
I hear ya, I used to want divisions too. I used to torture myself trying to figure out why my bikes didn't score better. I started in the Muscle Bike bo2 in 2013, the 2014 WBO, BONINE, MBBO3, and now the 2015 WBO. My bikes are getting better, and I really think the secret is good photography, and mine are shot with a notso smart phone. I do care where I place but I'm not going crazy...hehe. I've thought of the WBO as a little big build off, but it's all moot anyway, next year it's gonna be a clunk off....

Carl.

Last edited:
Well, i'm not ashamed to say I voted for both of the Motored bikes this time-but it was because both the 1910 Indian and the Bhuzzard screamed 'functional priceless working antique found in a barn' at me as hard as they could...

I also voted for the Plus Bike for a completely different reason-the absolute engineering elegance that comes from the simplicity of effective, no-frills design. Likewise other of my votes were due to-Funny and cheerful design concept, Industrial Art Deco masterpiece, Futurest Fantasy made frame, most Rugged, most Authentic Restoration etc etc etc...

I think the Open Category is awesome, and my only regret is that my outdoor workshop (aka the picnic table) was too frozen and icy for brazing or painting until March 29. Oh well, I can build with or without contests, right? A few dozen Ukuleles off to Ebay so I won't starve this month, and then...

(cracks knuckles)

I like the open category,it is interesting to see what the crazies come up with.:crazy:
I also enjoyed the 2 section build-off(original and anything goes).
The build-off does get harder every year,and it makes you wonder if you can compete.You have professional machinists and builders in the mix.
But it makes me strive to my full potential.
My first build-off I came 26th,then 7th draw(anything goes)and something like 13th combined. 2nd in last years,and have entered in 2 Muscle build-offs and have never done well.:confused:
But I am improving and thats what matters.
:grin:
Each time I enter I come out a winner.I always seem to win a new bike.o_O:banana:

Latest posts

Back