Why I like 2 sets of brakes ...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on my bikes.

Just now:
cable.jpg

Yeah, I usually stick a front hand brake on my old coasters, even if I have to drill the crown. Gives you more control even if you never have a failure. One exception is my 40s original paint Rollfast. I don't have the heart to drill it, but it only sees easy dedicated dirt path use anyway. I could step off at those speeds. :crazy:

When I was a kid, a neighbor was moving and gave me their old Schwinn tandem. In my zeal to use that cool hand brake on another bike I snagged it off the tandem right away. Later, while riding the tandem by myself and going down a steep hill the front chain came off. No brakes at all and a 90 degree turn with fresh gravel to fill a pot hole was coming up fast! The heavy tandem was going too fast and too heavy to stop Fred Flintstone style!
The bike and I survived an awesome knee grinding slide. I was able to walk home with the bike.

Fun days of youth!

Or when your are going into an intersection, at speed, and a driver doesn't check her side-view mirror before turning right.
If not for 2 well tuned v-brakes, and my bike-handling abilities, my ride home from work could have done me a lot worse than a pedal bite on the shin (the car lost its mirror).

Cousin K:
Glad to learn that you escaped with only bandaid boo boos. Like Sergeant Esterhaus says:
sgt esterhaus.jpg

I'm afraid that you have to assume that all drivers are blind, clueless, and/or evil.

Cousin K:
Glad to learn that you escaped with only bandaid boo boos. Like Sergeant Esterhaus says:
View attachment 152895
I'm afraid that you have to assume that all drivers are blind, clueless, and/or evil.

I ride fast, but careful - Always a finger on each brake, I look well ahead, wear hi-vis yellow gloves etc. But sometimes that isn't enough. That's when good brakes, my fast reflexes (which have earned me the nickname Ninja), and the ability to do an endo turn with a locked front wheel come in handy.
I live in "the world's most bike friendly city". So drivers here are used to sharing the roads with cyclists, and most of them try their best no to hit us. In 25 years of going everywhere on my bike, this is only my second close encounter with a car. And the other one was purely my own fault (15 years old, drunk, no lights on the bike).
I actually took pity on the elderly woman driving the car, as she was very shaken by the incident and frightended that she had hurt me seriously. So after shouting "What the (colourful language) do you think you're doing!!?", I had to talk her down a bit, and assure her that I was ok, to get her to a state where she could drive on safely.

I think it was Nelson Vales that said when he was a messenger, he looked at riding like it was a video game going on around him, and he was always anticipating what was going to happen next. I ride like that. Always scanning, always trying to think what could happen.

When I grew out of all them ugly cables I realized dear old dad wasn't so dumb! and I don't have to use that stupid coaster brake anyway.

Attachments

• 16159362515238397789465402985401.jpg
    16159362515238397789465402985401.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 65

Latest posts

Back