WHY HAVE A SEAT?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Just curious why they even put seats on these bikes.

BI297R00blk.jpg

See that little space between the top of the seatstays and the rear tire? The seat keeps your family jewels from getting sucked in there when you mess up on a jump.

Wanna know how I know? :mrgreen:

Ha Ha...okay...so it's just for protective purposes and not for actual sitting.

I have a buddy from NZ who rides trial bikes...no seats there.

pure-front.JPG

Once you start dropping the seat down you seem to get used to it not being there, and then it ends up lower. I don't think the seat will disappear off BMXs though, at least not while people are still doing hang fives, and crashing (sometimes) from big air. Plus between runs you sit on it at the skatepark, and at stoplights.

SkidMark said:
Slammed seats are the style of the time, like wearing an onion on your belt.

mco-nigel-bike1.jpg

seshin20bikes202.jpg
Wearing an onion on your belt? AH what? :?
My son rides with his seat way down on his bmx bike. But when we go for a cruise he has a hard time keepin up with the old man

maddogrider said:
Wearing an onion on your belt? AH what? :?

Grampa Simpson said that. "I was riding the bus to Shelbyville, which in those days was called 'Moygensville,' and I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. We didn't have white onions, because of the war. All we had was the big smelly yellow ones... In those days riding the bus cost a nickle, which we called 'bees.' Because they had pictures of bees on them. 'Give me five bees for a quarter' you'd say... But the important thing is, I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time..."

Good on ya, Skid Mark.

Wow i have never heard that before. So did the chicks dig it? My dad had a grocery store along time ago so he would fry some onions in the back and have a fan blow the smell out in the store. He said the smell of frying onions makes people hungry so they buy more.
Oh and he road with his seat up on his bike

maddogrider said:
Wow i have never heard that before. So did the chicks dig it? My dad had a grocery store along time ago so he would fry some onions in the back and have a fan blow the smell out in the store. He said the smell of frying onions makes people hungry so they buy more.

Ha Ha...that's awesome...great marketing technique.

Sort of like IKEA always cooking cinnamon rolls and filling the place with the smell.

Rat Rod said:
maddogrider said:

Ha Ha...that's awesome...great marketing technique.

Sort of like IKEA always cooking cinnamon rolls and filling the place with the smell.

Ever go to an open house? Real estate agents are always baking cookies.

Latest posts

Back