Who is stoked for winter riding?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Who else is stoked to shred the snow this year? Since I got my Walgoose Beast I have been thinking of nothing but shredding some snow covered trails on it and having a blast this winter. Who's with me?

Not so much looking forward to it. But I'm prepared for it. I road ride and when the roads get really crappy I have to ride my 90s rigid Mtn bike with 1" slicks.

Not-Me.jpg

When I was half my age and mostly broke, winter riding was pretty "cool" ( :roll: :p ). I do putz in it around the hood a little sometimes nowdays, but that's about it.

Ill ride in the winter but only on clear streets. I had a pretty bad spill a couple years ago. Spider crack in the back lane at 20 mph.

loweredmanta002_zps2a26ff46.jpg
:mrgreen:

Several years ago (on a different bike) went downhill mountain biking on a snow covered hill, it had well over 8-inches of snow on it, did two endos – FUN STUFF!!! :p

Had a light dusting of snow and I got out a little bit but no noticeable difference as it was a really light snow and now it's all melted. Nature is such a tease. :roll:

I just rode home from work in the snow....a light dusting of @1" so far, but it was coming down fast and heavy as I rode. A lot of fun on Fat Franks with good lights.... Every yeah, I look forward to snow riding and enjoy the first few wintry rides, but my enthusiasm fades quickly after the first run-in with black ice. I hate that stuff.

When I was more into MTBs and driving to trails, I always used to love trail-riding in the pine barrens, especially on a singlespeed. Very little black ice out there, and a lot of fun even when traction was limited. Maybe I'll try that again this season.

I posted this elsewhere but thought id put it here too. We finally got a good deep thick snow (and getting more tonight and all week) so I got a chance to really test this beast of a bike. I am amazed! It handles snow very well for a bike, Very minimal slip even towing a trailer full of groceries (Double bagged and tied to prevent moisture from getting in) It was awesome riding by all the trucks out plowing snow and seeing the look on their face when they get passed by a bicycle.

We got a good 6-8 inches of thick wet sticky snow and it is still coming down so I threw on my Carhartt coat, coveralls, and sock hat and went to the store for groceries.

Unplowed streets

Trail tested and passed with flying colors. Does need some different peddles though these things have no grip when wet.

On the way to work yesterday the path had 6" of fresh in our plowed track with ice under that it was a chore. The worst part of the ride was on the streets in the second town I go through it was about 4" of tire churned snow I had to walk a mile to get to a plowed street. On the way home I detoured the path and took main streets but it was 9 miles instead of my usual 7.5.
p673.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back