Whippet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whatd i miss? :lol: oh! youre still working on this??? :p

thebigred67 said:
My favorite tool is the Tuning Hammer!

I'm not sure I'm familiar with what that is!? My favourite tool at the moment is a pencil. :)

stretch: Well...let's see...nope, you haven't missed anything! Pretty much nothing has been done on this build for waaaaay too long! :lol:
Let's change that! Here's what I've been up to the last few days:

Brought the fender mold back from the dead and made the front fender.
Framskrm1.jpg

Framskrm2.jpg

Framskrm3.jpg

Covered the fork and parts of the fender with foam.
Gaffel1.jpg

Made a little notch in the frontlight shell and attached it to the handlebar with some fiberglass and resin. Taped it to hold it in place while it cured. The light and hanlebar will also be covered with foam and shaped to match the idea I have and then all of it will be fiberglassed.
Lyktor6.jpg

Mock-up. Starts to resemble the sketch!! :D
Mockup2.jpg

Next up will be to start shaping the fork. :)

Thank you everybody for showing such interest in this build even though progress has been so slow and updates has been far apart!

There he is. 8) A tuning hammer is a little wrench-like object used on harps, pianos, hammer dulcimers and the like. :| I only know 'cause I've got a few. :mrgreen:

Ok, where do I start?

First I´d like to say that this bike has gone farther than just being a bike, it´s art, refined European art.
I admire the fact that you actually get the hole piece to look exactly like the idea you had in mind, the sketch and the final result are exactly the same. Not everyone can do that, I certainly can´t.

If I´d win the lottery, I wouldn't be buying fancy cars or houses, I´d be buying plane tickets to Sweden to see you work on the Whippet! :wink: :D
I hate the fact that I´ll have to wait to see more, I know next update is going to be excitingly awesome!!!
Please don´t stop now :!:

Thank you for your kind words everyone, I really appreciate it!!

deorman: So that's what it is! Closest thing I've got to such a tool must be a tuning key for my drums. :lol: You're a piano tuner?

Gdcast: Make sure you fly here during summertime, winters are long and dark around here...and cold!! :wink:

I promise I won't stop now, but I can't work on the bike again until next week. Tomorrow I'm going to Gothenburg to see Iron Maiden and on saturday and sunday I've got band rehearsal and a gig coming up. :) Hopefully I will have been given some measures next week also for the two comissioned bikes that I'll try to manage to build this summer. I'll work on them and the Whippet side by side so to speak. Weld and grind during the days and do some fiberglass work in the evenings. Stay tuned! :) In case you have a tuning hammer that might come in handy! :mrgreen:

Galtbacken said:
Thank you for your kind words everyone, I really appreciate it!!

deorman: So that's what it is! Closest thing I've got to such a tool must be a tuning key for my drums. :lol: You're a piano tuner?

Gdcast: Make sure you fly here during summertime, winters are long and dark around here...and cold!! :wink:

I promise I won't stop now, but I can't work on the bike again until next week. Tomorrow I'm going to Gothenburg to see Iron Maiden and on saturday and sunday I've got band rehearsal and a gig coming up. :) Hopefully I will have been given some measures next week also for the two comissioned bikes that I'll try to manage to build this summer. I'll work on them and the Whippet side by side so to speak. Weld and grind during the days and do some fiberglass work in the evenings. Stay tuned! :) In case you have a tuning hammer that might come in handy! :mrgreen:

My tuning hammer is actually a ball peen hammer or sledge hammer I use to adjust things that won't respond to normal tools. Though I did know about the tuning hammer that deorman was speaking of.

thebigred67 said:
My tuning hammer is actually a ball peen hammer or sledge hammer I use to adjust things that won't respond to normal tools.

Aha, sort of "when all else fails, this will do the job"-kind of thing! :D

Galtbacken said:
thebigred67 said:
My tuning hammer is actually a ball peen hammer or sledge hammer I use to adjust things that won't respond to normal tools.

Aha, sort of "when all else fails, this will do the job"-kind of thing! :D

I am accualy very good at bending and hammering.

How can you look at it and not rush the fiberglassing?
Please Galt, she needs her skin! :D

By the way, what a beautiful cottage you got there, I bet the surroundings are awesome.

I can make a piano with a couple of sour notes agree with itself. A real piano tuner could concert pitch it and crank out a couple of pages of Debussy in the time it takes me to straighten out an autoharp. :p Given the time you've spent on this bike, I could probably tune a baby grand. :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNoSB1E7tYE

Gdcast: Part of me want to get started on the fiberglassing right away and another part of me want to figure out a plan for a good way to do it first. It's a battle between the caveman and the engineer...and since I'm not an engineer yet I guess the caveman will be the victor. :lol:
I've been rehearsing a lot for a few different gigs and haven't had much time to build, but I've made some progress on the handlebar and I've started on the chainguard. I need to do a little bit more on the chainguard before I can start fiberglassing because it'll be fixed to the body of the bike. I haven't got around to taking photos of the progress but I'll do that soon. :)
That cottage is one of my favourite places to be. Beautiful surroundings with rivers and lakes and pineforests. I stay there during the summer to get some peace of mind and recharge my batteries. I guess I'm not a city person. :)

deorman: Given the time since I started this build, you probably could have built a grand piano!! :lol:

On a side note: I've found the donorbikes I need to start building the commissioned bikes for the summer, and I'm planning to start those two builds really shortly.

A couple of photos of what I've done with yhe handlebar so far. I'll probably sand of some more foam and make it a little bit thinner.

Styre2.jpg

Styre3.jpg

Here's the part of the chainguard that will be fiberglassed to the bike body.

Kedjeskydd1.jpg

I've made the sketches for the two other bikes that I'll start building in a day or two. Those won't be scratchbuilds so I'll make a thread for them in the regular build section. :) The Whippet build will keep on moving along very slowly for yet a while...

:cry: :cry: :cry: Nooooooo, I love the Whippet!
Sorry, childish attack :D

The handlebars are looking great, they remind me of the Vespa ones a lot! Gorgeous!

wow very impressive in deed you sir are an artistginearinorator..... artist+engineer+creator..all in one :wink: yupp you got skills my friend im SUBSCRIBED......im hooked on this build and cant wait to see it glassed.... 8)

Latest posts

Back