Wheel trouble

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to true(bend back) a bent steel rim? I was told to use a hammer and just make sure I don't go crazy on the lip.
I thought about a different rim but I like the look of these and the front is perfect. The back is not bad but I am have'n a hard time getting it true the traditional way.

I did 4 one day, steel rims, and not to bent but I could not get them to true. Un laced them, and they were 2 inches from being true. Kinda hard to explain with out pictures, but take 4 2x4's and lay parallel under the rim, at the edge of the rim. Then bend the rim with the high portion of the rim towards the level cement floor. Easy, little by little and check the rim now and then on the level drive way. It may take a dozen trys to get it. I did a 27, two 26 1 3/8's and a steel 26. Got them with in a 1/4 inch of true, relaced and they trued easy.

Dont use a hammer and this normaly wont work on aluminum rims.

Anyway that worked for me.

Put a 2x4 under your rim, under the trouble spot, and tap it with a hammer back into place. I did this with a steel Schwinn rim that I couldn't find a replacement for. That was a 'blowout', i.e. the rim was bulging out. If it is the other way, I would assume same method, just reverse and more careful. Good luck.

I used two 2x4 and used a third two cross the two and some clamps. Seemed to work good enough to get it close. I think I can get it true from this point.

Thanks for the imput.

I once took an alloy MTB wheel in to a LBS that was pretty taco'd.
the tire was still on the rim and inflated.
the mechanic took it and whacked it once on the floor. It pretty much sprung back in shape - no kidding!
he then finished truing it up in his truing stand.
I just kind of stood there amazed. :shock:

Jerry,
Gave it a few like that and a true but this was a steel rim and it would not budge. I have had to do that on MTB, And it did work out pretty well for an on the spot fix

Latest posts

Back