What's in a NAME ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nobody has started this thread yet. Picking a name for a build has always been my favorite part of the entire process...Some names need explaining..some don't....So how about sharing how the name of your build came about...

Mine: Pyola Kayrap... When I looked at some of the things I was going to use, it looked like a "pile of crap"..so I had a name.

Mine's called... ❤︎ Blackheart ❤︎

It's a Murray Monterey and since I'm not that familiar with them, I researched to find the year it was built and discovered they have a label on the seat tube near the bottom bracket with the date on it. Mine says "05-82" which makes it built in May 1982 I believe.

My first thought for a name was 'Monte' which made me immediately think of a New Zealand band called Monte Video which had song called "Shoop Shoop Diddy Wop Cumma Cumma Wang Dang", which I thought was from 1982 and would make the name 'Monte' perfect as a tribute. However I found that the song was actually from 1983. I could've still used that name but I then searched for top song for May 1982 and the search turned up "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts. It was a different song here in NZ but since the bike's from the USA, I went with that and decided on Blackheart for the name. "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" was number one in NZ for four weeks in June and July of 1982.

Glen.

P.S. Here's the Monte Video song for those interested...

Last edited:
○〇◯ Holeshot ◯〇○
Tried to come up with some reference to the cool holes in the CNC portions of my Trek Rail CNC frame.
Didn't like any of the "holey" options - holey moley, holey mackeral, holey smokes, etc
There was an frame addition idea I had that I thought might be too George Jetson and @gowjobs joked around about "Eep Opp Ork, Ah-Ah!" . If I went that route, I would have definitely used that as the build name, along with a Spacely Sprocket and a rear Coswell Cog.
In the end, I didn't want to be really tied down to any "theme", so I decided on the drag racing term ○〇◯ Holeshot ◯〇○

ps, someone should definitely go for the Jetsons theme build some day!!!

Thick as a Brick: one of the things I really like about my bike is the color, which I believe they call "brick red". Plus, it's a fat bike, but no matter how many times I try, the forum won't let me call a bike " Phat .......".

(See what I mean? It censors Austin Powers references. )

Thick as a Brick: one of the things I really like about my bike is the color, which I believe they call "brick red". Plus, it's a fat bike, but no matter how many times I try, the forum won't let me call a bike " Phat .......".

(See what I mean? It censors Austin Powers references. )
Phat B@stard

The name I chose was pretty simple really.

I'm building the bike for someone else and he was very specific about the color which will be turquoise. So I started thinking about the color as a name and shortened it to quoise. After a quick Google search just to see if it had any established meaning that I may or may not want to be associated with, the only thing I found was a jewelry maker and also an Urban Dictionary meaning.

The Urban Dictionary meaning is this: "The feeling that someone has while he's doing something artistic." That fit perfectly since the owner is a full time professional artist that has an affinity for painting with turquoise! So, QUOISE it is.

BTW, it's worth 15 points in Scrabble (if no one challenges it). :21:

"Bad Finger"
ygFWB7MaAV46cZM-1tLpeFrT1CTCvXED5M_TG-lkM7ri7R4FIIo9qewJXbVlgR4BLrWHRO1aPLw3AE5AqR55yEsaSLcpf7szYcZzDYSq97ogb9NpuFQFiWjlobt29gwAnTpT1xY6WhKnEFKZ3gaTXXjVROJAPm5uVRtcmScQZRb9NetuiPm_N5f4eEPi8Rf9b7C2Z6_GIl4DALZAvCo7XJgq2-hWy6ZHhqRM5OoCeJNH57kiGGY1EDphWcFtjbZ7EdUwZmmAf2IyAISqVvkD8pAWNbtMeRoGxft6TNPClfxmZQ7yB-1zkMqISNETMZQc7TREwtxFyW3GCDkO7FI0WhbiRXNjVcEcRnGkj4HCQt1cKxEdAyAuhM9YQYxpGH3vOlgdrNqb2QnJWHAUeH48mH-M-EhvnyVTWaRiY-ymaPM2GD4R02orQIqSmmVvyKBsXn8zv-iVVQ7qeLWwUuhS6VWocBRELhbYTm9WsV8UonQsMjhmQ9lco8QOdnmvC6J79zrJapcPv_zVdLX7nalQpsfbZyyka6HCuNT87JRx5BCrYXKY26b7zt2TDvFtYiuxQEQyWUTb_UeRpZtMIrH3HGVOzyC5DgVgBHcg0_w=w872-h523-no

self-explanatory

Mine's called... ❤︎ Blackheart ❤︎

It's a Murray Monterey and since I'm not that familiar with them, I researched to find the year it was built and discovered they have a label on the seat tube near the bottom bracket with the date on it. Mine says "05-82" which makes it built in May 1982 I believe.

My first thought for a name was 'Monte' which made me immediately think of a New Zealand band called Monte Video which had song called "Shoop Shoop Diddy Wop Cumma Cumma Wang Dang", which I thought was from 1982 and would make the name 'Monte' perfect as a tribute. However I found that the song was actually from 1983. I could've still used that name but I then searched for top song for May 1982 and the search turned up "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts. It was a different song here in NZ but since the bike's from the USA, I went with that and decided on Blackheart for the name. "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" was number one in NZ for four weeks in June and July of 1982.

Glen.

P.S. Here's the Monte Video song for those interested...

When I think of "I Love Rock & Roll" my mind goes immediately to Weird Al's "I Love Rocky Road"

52 Pickup. As mentioned in my journal, I got it from the card game of the same name. Also when I was a kid and had toys and such strung out all over I would be told it was time to play "52 pickup" and clean up the mess. That's kinda what this build is about, picking up parts, whether it's bike parts, plumbing parts, assorted hardware parts, parts is parts, and putting them together into a (hopefully) cool bike. Perhaps other meanings may surface as time goes by?

I have a stack of names for bikes and bands...
Most of the music I've done is recorded under the name Skycrusher (don't look, never published) The band I play in every Sunday morning is called Crossfire. Past names for bikes have been Little Neutrino, Rockn' Rollfast, Harlequin T and ALiEN FiRE. Often names come first and I have to find a theme and a bike to match it. My current build was a play on the 13th build off with a nod to some classic rock and a bit of my twisted humor thrown in, 13th Mental Breakdown. Sometimes they name themselves, as the upcoming name change to my bike came to me standing in front of a statue of the last Aztec emperor, Cuauhtemoc.
5876a8f51641249392a9b3e771385b63.jpg

Guitarl.

Last edited:
It’s complicated...my bike is thought to be a 1940 Elgin Sports Model. That part is easy. It is the 3rd Elgin bike that I’ve used in the build offs. This is Rat Rod Bikes Build Off # 13. Thus my build title is, “1940 Elgin Sports Model No (1)3”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are way more creative than I am. My trike started as a generic Roadmaster bike. It is also fairly good sized at 7' long by 3' wide (give or take) so it takes up some real estate...so "Roadmaster" it is.

My other project...one friend saw it and called it "Insane"...my 10 yr old said it looks like a "Clown Trike", so ICT it is. No, not a huge ICP fan but I do occasionally listen to some of their stuff.

Mine may yet undergo a name switcheroonie, but since my plan was for my bike to be a little classy, a little trashy, and this is the 13th RRBBO, I went with "13th Mistress".
As any of you who have been following along already know, I ended up doing a frame/theme change, re-building my never-going-to-sell-it '62 Typhoon for on/off road cruising. Using White Industries cranks, Paul Components brakes, and some other parts from the top $helf, so it became "Tycoon".

Latest posts

Back