What stem would you suggest for a Klunker.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could tell you, Cap. Bought em cheap back in the ninties when a local shop went out of business. Been on there ever since. I think they're about 620 mm wide, which is about perfect with the bar ends.

I've never used an adapter like that for trail riding. Can anyone share experience, good or bad, about them? My main concern is with an extra clamping component, there's one more (highly stressed, and pretty critical) part that can shake loose.
I'm pretty sure most of the new mountain bikes use an adaptor (usually 1"/25.4mm or 1 1/8"/28.6mm) with a separate stem with 2 hex bolts. I have converted my late 80's mtb with a similar adaptor so I could use the velo klunker bars. I didn't like the idea at first but it definitely works fine. I'm too old and unfit for any serious trail riding so it won't be under much stress. You must be careful not to overtighten the 2 hex bolts which clamp the stem to the adaptor and those for the handlebar clamp. The Deda adaptor I bought is machined aluminium and Made in Taiwan. It will suit a fork steerer ID of 22.2. The stem clamp ID is 25.4. The BBB stem used is also Made in Taiwan and 3D forged. If you want to use a stem with a 1 1/8 ID there are shim kits available.
IMG_6115 (002).jpg
IMG_6116 (002).jpg
IMG_6117 (002).JPG

I think no-one rides MTBs with threaded fork anymore, only cheap bikes have them nowadays. Might be wrong though. I must admit I don't like them much. However I use such an adapter on my cheap daily and never had an issue. Everything stays tight, no worries.

I really like those sling shot stems, it looks like they would even work with 25mm clamp handlebars. But practically every bike I own that is worth spending that money has an ahead fork. So I am curious was there ever an ahead slingshot stem?

This is nice. It looks like an ahead setup where instead of the ahead nut you use a top nut... The stem itself looks great. Probably 1" only though or was it available in 11/8?
The Uni-Clamp predated 1 1/8" by about a decade...by the time they came around, slanted double clamp stems were 'ancient' history.

From the museum:
"1981 introduce the Uni-Clamp stem which was years ahead of its time! Instead of a traditional fork with threads the Uni-Clamp fork had a longer steer tube allowing clamping area for the Uni-Clamp. The top headset race is not threaded so the Uni-Clamp is placed onto the fork. Now the lock nut for the headset is threaded onto the fork allowing the adjustment to the headset. Once in place then the Uni-Clamp bolts are tightened onto the fork."
1980_uniclamp__lg.jpg

I vote Uni-Clamp! If you find a few cheap somewhere...pick some up for me :thumbsup:.

View attachment 144258
Matti beat me to it. I was gonna say you need a lot of steer tube to pull that off

Awesome opportunity to recreate on a 1.125 platform though. :thumbsup: Just don't tell a certain someone over on another forum that is apparently quite upset with CBR "rip-offs"

For some laughs

Last edited:
I accidentally just so happen to have a fork (1" threaded with suspension, for the daily) with a steer tube too long and with too little thread. So after seeing this I am thinking of switching to 1" ahead (which I have on hand), then put a few spacers and just like the uni-clamp tightening with a top nut instead of an ahead nut. Then use a regular quill stem.

I know there are bikes with a 11/8 threaded fork (I have one) so that's why I thought maybe the uni-clamp stem was available in that size too.

Hahaha the bmx museum gets pretty touchy about recreations and the exact definition of nos. Anyone remember that Stranger Things mongoose a few years ago? They lost their minds!
There also was a huge fiasco when a guy made some brand new old parts. He was the original maker, found a stash of old pieces on a back shelf, used the exact tooling, and made some stuff exactly as he did in the old days. He called it New Old Stock. It literally was new stuff, made with old stock. They reacted like he was counterfeiting the Mona Lisa. It seems that it needs to be made, then gather dust, rather than gather dust, then be made

Matti beat me to it. I was gonna say you need a lot of steer tube to pull that off

Awesome opportunity to recreate on a 1.125 platform though. :thumbsup: Just don't tell a certain someone over on another forum that is apparently quite upset with CBR "rip-offs"

For some laughs
That was a half hour wasted. He is very proud of the fact he has a lawyer on retainer that he will let loose on anyone he thinks is devaluing his brand. Whatever.

That was a half hour wasted. He is very proud of the fact he has a lawyer on retainer that he will let loose on anyone he thinks is devaluing his brand. Whatever.
Exactly

Latest posts

Back