What price to put on AMF Skeeter Wheelie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't touch it. Trying to clean up a bike wrong will make it worth less than just showing it as a barn find. For instance, you said the chrome was good, and just had crud on it. You're wrong. The chrome is rusty, and has crud on it. AMF's didn't have great chrome. So once the rust sets it in a blanket fashion such as on your handlebars, the chrome is pretty much destroyed. A 'barn find' won't misrepresent the bike's condition. Cleaning it up will take a LOT of work on your part, and you won't be happy with the results. Only a complete restoration will bring it back.

I would also very closely inspect that frame for cracks due to the nature of that bike being a used Wheelie bike.
Id feel safer buying it on ebay due to I know the bike would have to be sent & Id have buyers protection if I didn't receive the bike as would some others who may not be members here. Plus they know on ebay if its cracked & not mentioned properly it can be sent back. .

Last edited:
I wouldn't touch it. Trying to clean up a bike wrong will make it worth less than just showing it as a barn find. For instance, you said the chrome was good, and just had crud on it. You're wrong. The chrome is rusty, and has crud on it. AMF's didn't have great chrome. So once the rust sets it in a blanket fashion such as on your handlebars, the chrome is pretty much destroyed. A 'barn find' won't misrepresent the bike's condition. Cleaning it up will take a LOT of work on your part, and you won't be happy with the results. Only a complete restoration will bring it back.
I would also very closely inspect that frame for cracks due to the nature of that bike being a used Wheelie bike.
Id feel safer buying it on ebay due to I know the bike would have to be sent & Id have buyers protection if I didn't receive the bike as would some others who may not be members here. Plus they know on ebay if its cracked & not mentioned properly it can be sent back. .

Concur, leave it alone.
These guys know what they're talking about.

Not to plug one of my own builds, but you should go look at this build of a 1969 Buzz Bike I did for BOTEN. It's a good example of what can go wrong with old muscle bikes like yours.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/eliminator-i-found-ramhorns.92705/

Now this is after months of looking for parts and hours upon hours of work, it took seven hours to clean the crud off this thing. And what I do is not even close to what professional restorers do, I just refurbish bikes making them ride like new but still keeping the ratty parts and I still have about $500 worth of parts and time in this bike. This is also a good example of what your bike is suffering from, it's rare but not sought after or look for. P.S I got this bike for $50 and put about $200 in to fixing it. So in closing I stand bye my $100 appraisal.
IMG_7941_zpsdh3dipda.jpg

Well this thread has been entertaining and sent me to bed with a smile, thanks to those who amused me. crash, tankenstien...others....gnight ratrodders.

Highly educational thread thank you so much for sharing that. I love the clear coat over patina. It is exactly (minus the clear coat) how musical instruments are left alone.
So lots of learning here, this is a summary if I understand what is going on please chime in if I missed something. This is a bike that sort of has some collector value but isn't "A" list for most people. However there is a small subset who have a deep appreciation for them ,kind of like dobros in the guitar collector community (which I play). This bike may or may not have condition issues but the only person who will learn of those challenges will be the person who buys the bike and starts restoring it. I will definitely not have anyone attempt to clean it. If I sell and ship the bike (either here or on eBay) there is a risk of someone noticing something that I didn't and returning it. 500 seems to be a very fair (and to many actually over generous) price. I just realized that I need to have a family a family member look for the serial number.
In writing this I have found some clarity and am now putting a price of 500 cash to be paid in person. My in laws will be driving from North Carolina to Maine via Harrisburg PA or the NY State Thruway depending on whether they can meet someone to sell the bike along the way in a couple of weeks. I am going to repost this on the for sale thread.

60's and 70's AMF bikes don't have serial numbers that show the year of the bike or have any sequence.

With so many offers on it, including one(s) for your asking price, I am shocked you need to post a for sale thread. Good luck, I would probably keep it and be doing wheelies down a big hill all day. :D

The issue is "in person " cash sale along the northeast corridor. I'm giving the guy who offered 500 an opportunity to connect first.

While I certainly can't speak for everyone on the boards, I hope you you understand that for the most part, those giving a value you deem to be low, myself included, were attempting to give a reasonable estimate based on little information, not trying to pull the wool over your eyes, and have no issues with you getting more out of it as long as you are not misleading the buyer as to what you're selling. GLWTS.

I figured something like that which is why in my summary of what I had been learning I acknowledged that the bike is sought after by a (very?)small niche of collectors

Latest posts

Back