What kind of ebay seller are you?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I know these issues come up from time to time, and we all say " I'm such a good seller, blah blah blah". But this situation made me think about how people try to twist things and guilt you into or out of something. I had a bicycle on my watch list. It appeared in the pics to have the fork bent slightly. I had interest, and had watched the bike for a few days. So I sent a message explaining that the fork looked bent just a few degrees. I asked if it appeared that way in person. Simple yes or no question. I received a message including two pics of the fork, and a slightly defensive explanation of why there could be no fork damage. The pics did prove that the fork was straight. I thanked the seller and told him that the pics were helpful. I watched the auction, and it went far above what I ever expected or could pay. Ended at almost double the market value. Which is fine by me, congrats to the seller. I wish my auctions went that well. Then I receive a message blasting me. Saying that I "made him jump through hoops and never placed a bid" Asked me how often I purposefully waste a sellers time. Just tried to rip into me. I explained that I never asked for pics, just details. That the auction went above what I expected or had in mind as my bid. I congratulated them on an extremely successful sale. The particular bike fit into a slightly obscure niche market and I doubt anyone could have forseen the outcome. So... as a seller do you just go nuts if you receive a question or request from a potential buyer, and they then determine that the item or deal isn't right for them? Sounds obvious, I know. Keep in mind I only sent one question. Not a barrage of requests or craziness.

I don't sell much on ebay anymore. The last bike part I sold there was 8 or 10 years ago. I just got tired of the fees and the rudeness of some of the people that buy and sell there.
Don't take it personally because you never know who you are dealing with on the other end of the auction. Look at it this way, he wasted his "precious" time sending you a meaningless note after he blames you for wasting his time with questions. People never cease to amaze me. Why would someone waste their time after accusing someone else of wasting their time. Sounds pretty counter productive to me.
Personally I don't have a problem responding to anyones questions, whether they bid or not. If it helps the sale, it's worth the time.

I've been selling on eBay for 12 years and my positive transactions outweigh the negative ones 99.9:1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I welcome questions for clarity when I sell on e bay. I would never admonish someone after the fact for not bidding, nor feel like it was a waste of time. If I worked in sales behind a counter, you would expect questions from customers in the shop, and not get a sale with every question answered, so it wouldn't follow, that anger should follow a non-sale.

Its Been a few years since I have sold on ebay, because I don't like the gambling risks I take with the price of what I am selling, if it is rare old car parts, or vintage computer stuff. (I am a bit of a pack rat).

I usually find a forum that matches my interest and post the adds there first and am successful in getting what I want outta the item.

My 0.02...

Just thought of the perfect example on a set of hearders I sold in 2005.

In 2000, I picked up a set of custom tri Y, Spitfire headers, for my 65 dart. I paid about 150 dollars for the from the original designer and maker before he had a bad bout with cancer. Roll forward to 2005, I hadn't yet installed the headers and, harold wasn't around anymore leaving a few po'd customers in the lurch, looking for spitfires. I posted the set up on fabo forum, and didn't get a bite for them at 250, so I placed them on ebay, and forgot to add a couple details and a seller asked if the would fit early As without body or steering mods, to which I responded that he was correct, they were designed such that you could even use original starter without having to use a mini starter. After that response went up on ebay, the bidding went wild. Ended up selling to a guy that had missed the post on fabo and he ended up paying an additional $200 for the pair. He was happy to find and get them and I was happy I had tripled my investment.

Still glad I didn't install them, car runs great without them and is still a original unrestored car.

Anyway, without the qna on the ebay, I don't think it would have sold as high, even though the person that asked the question never bidded.

That's how I saw it. Other people probably saw the same angle I did, and possibly believed the fork to be bent slightly. Seeing that it was not may be why his auction went through the roof. Yayy! I helped!

Latest posts

Back