What is the best coaster brake, your opinions?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think the best hubs are bendix 70s 70-js and 76s. ive bought a lot of worn out muscle bikes and i only had to rebuild one of these

What kind of grease do you use in the CB-E110 , first time to service this hub, thanks for any reply
Be
What kind of grease do you use in the CB-E110 , first time to service this hub, thanks for any reply

I can say that it works for many thousands of miles, but don't know if its the best:

For bearings (also bottom bracket bearings) I use:
Klüber ISOFLEX TOPAS NCA 52
I am very lucky with an employer who throws this stuff away from time to time.

For the brake pads I use:
kluber wolfracoat c
To deal with potential high temperatures. But my country is a pancake, so no height differences and long brake runs.

Good luck!

I have 3 bikes with the shimano nexus 3 speed and coaster brake. The brake has plenty of stopping power. Locks up easily. Never had an issue with any of them and the best thing is they were all from Chinese Schwinns I bought for no more than $50. I have a 7 speed nexus with a roller brake with little stopping power but it is new and may improve once broken in.

Hope I do not revive a topic that is too old, but I like to share my experiences so far:

STURMEY ARCHER S1C hub:
I have been riding this one for about 900km's (560 miles) now and really am fond of the hub:

How am I using this hub?
For singlespeed klunking/mountainbiking. 24inch wheels with 3.0 tires. Mostly singletrack over hard tree stumps and sometimes cycling over tarmac. A quick descent now and then. I am riding in mud and fine sand aswell.

Positive:
No cracks or tears after high and hard jumps.
No sand in the bearings.
The "roller" type coaster brake really brakes hard! It bites.
No oxidation on the hub shell after some moist and water.
Feels solid and smooth.

Negative:
A bit of bearing play after 500km's (310 miles) of riding. Easy to fix, but still.
The "roller" type coaster brake really brakes hard! After a jump, I managed to land on the pedal that had a rearward position... you can probably guess what happened... I went over the bars and landed with my face (helmet) on the road.

SHIMANO CB-E110 hub:

Riding this for thousands of miles now.

How am I using this hub?
For commuting in rain and dirty weather, sometimes a little offroading.

Positive:
Parts and internals easy to replace.
Parts fairly standardized, for example: The axle thread is M10x1. A very useable type of thread for me.
Pretty tough hub, can take a beating and wear.
Rolls fairly well.
Even though the hub is made of steel, no signs of rust on the shell so far.

Negative:
Dirt can get into the hub fairly easy, so cleaning the bearings on a montly basis is neccesary (note: riding for 70 miles in dirty weahter each week).

VELOSTEEL:

How am I using this hub?
I used it for a couple of weeks on a city bike. Not very fond of it.

Positive:
Robust and tough hub at first glance.
Easy to repair.
Big tough bearings for rolling.

Negative:
Braking is not great.
Cheaply built.
The hub has quite some rolling resistance when new compared to other hubs.

Pictures: Klunker with 24x3 wheels and the Sturmey Archer S1c Hub.
jnNz7OD.jpg

4itHf8H.jpg

Hi, I know this post is more than a year old but I will try.

So, I am running a Shimano CB E-110 hub for like a year now and it is making me crazy. The problem is it is rattling like crazy when I am going over bumps or uneven surfaces. When coasting but also while pedaling. It started a few weeks after I bought the bike and it got worse since then. I have changed the internal parts, re-greased it several times. I don't know what could be the problem. It is fairly simple inside so I don't know what could cause the problem. Maybe the brake calipers rattling or the clutch? Let me know if you have experienced such thing and you are still there :)

Hi, I know this post is more than a year old but I will try.

So, I am running a Shimano CB E-110 hub for like a year now and it is making me crazy. The problem is it is rattling like crazy when I am going over bumps or uneven surfaces. When coasting but also while pedaling. It started a few weeks after I bought the bike and it got worse since then. I have changed the internal parts, re-greased it several times. I don't know what could be the problem. It is fairly simple inside so I don't know what could cause the problem. Maybe the brake calipers rattling or the clutch? Let me know if you have experienced such thing and you are still there :)
Is it possible that the cog has play behind the snap ring? Or that the dust cover behind the cog has play? Also is the brake arm snugly secured between the cone and lock nut?

Is it possible that the cog has play behind the snap ring? Or that the dust cover behind the cog has play? Also is the brake arm snugly secured between the cone and lock nut?

I bought a new cog, made sure it has no play. Dust cover has no play either. Brake arm is tight. I am assuming it is the inner parts, the clutch or the calipers inside, but I don't know why. I took it to multiple bike shops. None of them had a proper answer to the problem. Someone said it is normal for coaster brakes to sound this way but I don't really take that for an answer.

Latest posts

Back