What have you been riding lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More bicycle tinkering. I swapped rear cogs around to give both SS bikes a 2:1 ratio (34:17 and 36:18). Test rides confirmed my hunch; a bit more effort on climbs and a lot less spinning out on flats. While I was at it, I went ahead and installed a DMR chain tensioner that I had on hand on Big Red. Unfortunately, the metal piece that the skewer goes through won't fit in my dropouts, so the tensioner is just bolted tightly (with Loctite) on my derailleur hanger. I'll carry the spare chainring with me in case I need it in a pinch as a ghost ring. If you look closely at Big Red, you'll see my bodged cog arrangement. I used almost all of my SS hub spacers on the Crossroads build, so to make up the difference, I took apart an old cassette and used a couple of the spacers and the two smallest cogs. Works a treat!

DSC_9112.JPG

Couldn't sleep. Perfect time to hit the paths.
IMG_20210410_064438922.jpg

Shared the ride with a group of mergansers, a few whitetails, a couple of cardinals, and of course the obligatory Canada geese. By the time I'd had enough, seniors and dog walkers started showing up.

I'm still Wheeler'ing on my commute. I only use two of the gears - 42-15 or 42-17, depending on how late I get out the door. So I'm considering single speed-ing it with a 16t cog, and a ghost ring in stead of a chain tensioner. I have the spacers, and a 32t chainring already, so all I need is the cog. And then I could transplant the derailleur, and shifter onto my Sunn project.

I spent some of my Easter holiday building this one for the summer house. I'll be adding a front rack for groceries. And I need to shorten the reach, so my sister and niece can ride it as well - I'm thinking BMX stem + moto bars.

Latest posts

Back