What have you been riding lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took SteamRoller for it's first test ride a couple of weekends ago.

104697037_1184350481906234_2460379051572585390_o.jpg

So I was pretty happy with my last MBBO project bike. That is, until I took it on a longer ride with a group. It was fine for cruising around the block, but for any kind of distance, the extreme turndowns on the '66-'67 handlebars were just plain annoying. And as much as I loved the vibe of the original tires, especially the rear Slik, I was not real confident in its ability to continue to hold the rim up off the ground under the weight of my fat butt. Because of this, I ran the pressure a little low, which didn't help rideability any.
20200627_145841.jpg

So a little research revealed that modern 20x1-3/8 Junior BMX tires are the same ISO 451 as the old Fastback tires. Better yet, they can be had in 20x1-1/8 also, so I was able to get one in each size to maintain some of the big 'n little vibe of the original Slik/street tire combo. Bonus: the rear 1-3/8 can be run as high as 80 lbs. pressure, and the front 1-1/8 as high as 100 lbs.
20200627_144920.jpg
20200627_145036.jpg
20200627_145053.jpg

And with the cool white lettering, I'm feeling like I did back in 1987 when I got those Dunlop Radial GT Qualifiers for that old Nova with the Gabriel HiJackers...

Also, I swapped the bars out for a cheap modern repop set I got off Fleabay a few years ago for a project that went in a different direction. Stingray nuts would pick them out as "wrong" in a heartbeat, but there's so many other "wrong" parts on this bike that I don't care.

Overall, it's a much better rider now.

Last edited:
So I was pretty happy with my last MBBO project bike. That is, until I took it on a longer ride with a group. It was fine for cruising around the block, but for any kind of distance, the extreme turndowns on the '66-'67 handlebars were just plain annoying. And as much as I loved the vibe of the original tires, especially the rear Slik, I was not real confident in its ability to continue to hold the rim up off the ground under the weight of my fat butt. Because of this, I ran the pressure a little low, which didn't help rideability any.
View attachment 126860

So a little research revealed that modern 20x1-3/8 Junior BMX tires are the same ISO 451 as the old Fastback tires. Better yet, they can be had in 20x1-1/8 also, so I was able to get one in each size to maintain some of the big 'n little vibe of the original Slik/street tire combo. Bonus: the rear 1-3/8 can be run as high as 80 lbs. pressure, and the front 1-1/8 as high as 100 lbs.
View attachment 126862View attachment 126863View attachment 126864

And with the cool white lettering, I'm feeling like I did back in 1987 when I got those Dunlop Radial GT Qualifiers for that old Nova with the Gabriel HiJackers...

Also, I swapped the bars out for a cheap modern repop set I got off Fleabay a few years ago for a project that went in a different direction. Stingray nuts would pick them out as "wrong" in a heartbeat, but there's so many other "wrong" parts on this bike that I don't care.

Overall, it's a much better rider now.
PowerBlocks are GREAT tires!

Happy Independence Day from Chautauqua Lake!
Can't remember one in my lifetime that was as meaningful as this year, thank God it's a free land and pray that it stays this way, and be ready to defend the Constitution! Sorry to get so preachy.

Attachments

• 20200703_152100.jpg
    20200703_152100.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 101

Latest posts

Back