What do you do when you are waiting for parts?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Surf? Work on other hobbies? Yeah I do that too...
but today I walked into my garage and thought to myself,
I'm going to build a bike out of parts...

since this bike is dead in the water...
DSC00947.JPG

I looked at the cool little Sears frame I've robbed everything I could from...
and built this. Anyone recognize those wheels? Haha not again!
DSC00946.JPG

Needs just a bit of tweaking but it's a roller. 2.125 mtb tire rubs in the back, need to find a little smaller tire... and either shorter cottered crank arms or heat and bend these...
But the little apes and the red glitter coke bottle grips are comfy, while it's trying to buck you off!

Merle. :crazy:

DSC00945.JPG

Here lately I spend my free time looking online for ideas that pop in my head. Interestingly I've had some ideas I can't find, maybe one day I'll be an originator.

Aside from that, I usually just go hiking or fishing or whatever.

Dig the graphics on that frame...looks like a great bucker..:thumbsup:

I've been taking lots of breaks from my build even though I have plenty of stuff to work on.

I ordered from some giant warehouse deal that sends you a note 10 days after your ordered that says..."Congratulations your order has been shipped to our distribution center"

Still waiting on axle nuts, brake cables and pedals for mine.

When I'm not working on the bike I can usually be found on here fiddle farting around, checking out the other builds etc.

New guitar day! Woohoo!
0a481d56bc0447eb492cd8124144523c.jpg

Vintage modified Squier Jazzmaster.
Today I built a Squier wall.
8b91ffc09a999355ee1d954f8a14d816.jpg

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

I work at my other hobby, cooking. I've had my latest success with a filipino dish called Pochero. It's like a stew of pork, tomato, banana, green beans and cabbage with some other spices thrown in. Never any leftovers.

pochero.jpg

Oh yeah I love cooking... being a bachelor, a man needs to eat. Might as well eat good! I'm going to look up porchero, sounds good to me. Hmm, gotta eat today...

Carl.

I work at my other hobby, cooking. I've had my latest success with a filipino dish called Pochero. It's like a stew of pork, tomato, banana, green beans and cabbage with some other spices thrown in. Never any leftovers.

View attachment 24797
Oh yeah I love cooking... being a bachelor, a man needs to eat. Might as well eat good! I'm going to look up porchero, sounds good to me. Hmm, gotta eat today...

Carl.
I spent a couple weeks in the Philippines a couple decades ago...miss the food. I had a friend with a Filipino wife...those dinner invites were much coveted, and often hinted at :).

Jason

Well I gave it a go tonight for dinner, and two of kids were here. We all wolfed it down. Thank you Wildcat for the idea. It was good and will be repeated, ditto, no leftovers either!

Carl.

Went riding today with my lady,
pulled out Sgt.Rock...
8a2d97ab54dc1c6c70fb954578acb103.jpg
efad2b3dd5d64a6e8db89ef8efb7a238.jpg
2c82bfbe18dd5d6196f748ddf0b61e71.jpg

Carl.

Spokes and brake cable for my build showed up too.

sent from my banana phone...

Last edited:
I always end up working on my other bikes/projects, I just recently upgraded my 69 Buzz Bike Eliminator with a 24 inch rattrap springer fork.
IMG_20160508_175728_zpsp9gugbho.jpg

And I just stared hand reloading 45 Auto.
20160519_205110_zpshnwsdnck.jpg

I have the ultimate waiting on parts situation. I have a critical.. VITAL part of my build pending delivery status via fedex.. it's been 11 days. So now I'm just twiddling my thumbs praying to my gods that it shows up at all!:(

I personally write when I'm not working on my cars... (or being a slave to the farm.) I focus on steampunk sci-fi stories that everybody after reading them thinks they're fantasy novels.:39: Not exactly sure what that says about my writing.

I also collect old pre 1940's books. Mostly books where they spell today to-day and tomorrow to-morrow. So quite a bit of my writing style in some of them is that turn of the century published before ww1 style.:bigsmile:

I can identify a book's age by its cover, blank pages before the title, the paper and the type face. The paper can actually identify where it was printed.. I kid you not I had people show me a book and I was able to get it's age with it being off a year or two.:confused: However if you show me anything post 1950 I wouldn't have the slightest clue.:shake:

I have the ultimate waiting on parts situation. I have a critical.. VITAL part of my build pending delivery status via fedex.. it's been 11 days. So now I'm just twiddling my thumbs praying to my gods that it shows up at all!:(

I personally write when I'm not working on my cars... (or being a slave to the farm.) I focus on steampunk sci-fi stories that everybody after reading them thinks they're fantasy novels.:39: Not exactly sure what that says about my writing.

I also collect old pre 1940's books. Mostly books where they spell today to-day and tomorrow to-morrow. So quite a bit of my writing style in some of them is that turn of the century published before ww1 style.:bigsmile:

I can identify a book's age by its cover, blank pages before the title, the paper and the type face. The paper can actually identify where it was printed.. I kid you not I had people show me a book and I was able to get it's age with it being off a year or two.:confused: However if you show me anything post 1950 I wouldn't have the slightest clue.:shake:
I read modern and vintage sci fi, love R. Heinlein and W. Gibson. You might check out The Difference Engine, it's a steampunk novel by two of the best cyberpunk authors, Gibson and Sterling. I liked it enough to name a build after it...

Carl.

Both the Mrs. and I are waiting for parts to arrive. You can't beat Niagara Cycle's free shipping, but you have to wait a while for your stuff, So I've been revamping past projects to sell to cover build off expenses. Anyone recognize "Winter/Spring Marriage" from last year's winter build off in its new state?
20160525_155624.jpg

Two days so far on a vinyl fence job, augered a lot of holes yesterday. Today we've been setting panels... and 21 yrs sober today. Parts have been trickling in so a little at a time. Laced a rim last night...but I still have a garage full of oak cabinetry to complete. Life is good.

Carl.

Got my yard work done, and reading about you guys. Listening to Pink Martini and having my scotch and soda, but feeling a little guilty. Congrats on your 21st anniversary. That fact is way cooler than your bikes, and they are super cool. I did search Craigslist a few minutes ago and began a conversation on a recent Chinese Schwinn single top bar 27 1/2 in. tired cruiser with a springer fork. The rear hub is fried, but that only makes it more fun. They want $25. I have a rear wheel. You all know how that goes.

Latest posts

Back