What bicycle is this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can Anybody help identify this bike for me?
f9caeba84467808b3988eb9e0236db15.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Definitely a Westfield frame, Columbia being the Westfield in house brand, sold with different names by other suppliers. I would link to a date code page, but apparently the Mr. Columbia site no longer exists. :cry:

The Mr. Columbia page was great but has been gone for awhile. I wrote down the serial numbers in my index book of bike IDs.
Your serial number should be on the left dropout, Columbia's were a smaller font and harder to see. A lot of your parts aren't original but the frame and fork look like they belong together.

Thanks for the info, I haven't picked the bike up yet. I will have it this weekend, I bought for 40.00, not sure if that was a good deal or not.

Looks like a good deal.
I think that's a50's Huffy chain wheel and the seat post looks to be a 5/8ths making it an older model frame.

Looks like a good deal.
I think that's a50's Huffy chain wheel and the seat post looks to be a 5/8ths making it an older model frame.
I'd bet on 13/16", due to the straight tank tube. although I have seen bikes shimmed out for 5/8" solid post

I think that's a50's Huffy chain wheel
Could also be a Wald...they usually have two drive pin holes opposite each other where as the Huffman/Huffy have one.

I'd lean to Westfield/Columbia as well...but, I have bee fooled by Snyder built bikes of the same era (early post war)...I think those are Westfield/Columbia rear dropouts.

As to the Mr Columbia info...some is kept on the Vintage American Bicycles site...
Vintage American Bicycles

...but, more importantly, pretty much all of it is archived on the WayBackMachine internet archives...
Mr Columbia site (archived)

I don't think the fork is Columbia or Rollfast...might be Schwinn, might be Colson. Pic isn't clear enough. Definitely a collection of parts going on there. The stem could very well be off a cycle truck or aftermarket (such as Wald).

Not only the dropouts, but the way the seat post tube passes through the top tube are quite distinctive traits, 100% certain the main frame is Westfield. looks like it may have external dust shields on the crank, which could be original, but it should have a 5 spoke sprocket. I agree that the fork is likely from another make.

...but the way the seat post tube passes through the top tube are quite distinctive traits, 100% certain the main frame is Westfield.
Ah...I think I see it now. Westfield seat mast pierces the top tube where Snyder seat stay terminates at seat mast.

I'm 100% Westfield now as well, but...because I just noticed the kickstand mount :grin:.

I pick up the bike tomorrow, id like to restore to original once I figure out what that is and ride it. I'm not sure where to begin as this is my first vintage bike

I pick up the bike tomorrow, id like to restore to original once I figure out what that is and ride it. I'm not sure where to begin as this is my first vintage bike

A good deal at forty bucks. To get it original will take a whole lot of time and money, if you find what exact model it is. It is made up of different parts which work together but aren't original. The cranks and at least one of the wheels isn't original. The fork may have been changed out to, but it fits the bike well. The chainguard is a replacement. The only thing original may be the frame. Sounds like a lot of problems but not actually.
You can make a great bike out of it fairly easily. All the parts look okay from the pic. When you disassemble it, check where the old paint shows to see what color it was and if the fork matches the color. That would be a pretty good indicator that those are the original forks. The original color will show on the fork tube and the inside of the frame of the head tube and crank housing. Even if they aren't original, it's a good looking fork.
Find the serial number, probably where I have the circle, and we can ID the year it was made.
columbia.jpg

They had smaller font and weren't stamped as deep as other brands. They also carried the same style frame for may years, so it could be from 50's to 70's.

Westfield frame for sure:

1617518987800.png

Yeah, that fork follows the lines nicely. If the head set doesn't rock or bind I'd leave it for now. Trying to find a straight "correct" one could be tough.

Latest posts

Back