What a crying shame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I had a fairly rare muscle bike dropped off to me yesterday, a Eatons Fastback 100 Glider. They were carbon copies of the famous Raleigh 3 speed chopper made for a department store here in Canada. This is what it looked like back in 1970, according to the serial #.
download.jpg

And this is what it looks like today;
fastback100.jpg

fastseat.jpg

It was found out by the airport leaning up against a tree, apparently it's been there for quite some time. One of the seat downtubes has a small split from water freezing, the seat pan looks like lace, handlebars are bent, shifters seized....but thats not the worst part.
Do you see it?
I so want to do something with this, but it might just be beyond my skill to pay that bill.
Rick

yikes!!! :shock: :shock:
do you know where I can find info on Eatons Gliders? I have one but its a cantilever frame...

Markm said:
yikes!!! :shock: :shock:
do you know where I can find info on Eatons Gliders? I have one but its a cantilever frame...
Hey Mark, it was easy enough with this one, as they're basically rebadged raleighs. Odds are yours is the same, try looking it up as a raleigh model. If that doesn't work, maybe someone here can help shed a little light; http://www.rcoc.co.uk/

Hey Tommy, not bad :lol: The decal on the chainguard actually reads "no riders" like you used to see on rigs in the 70's. Guess that holds true today. When I 1st saw the bb was gone, I said to myself, "well, it sure is a glider now, cause there aint no way you can pedal anymore. :roll: Maybe I should fill the frame with lead and turn it into a gravity racer??
Rick

oh yeah, a GB bike. go for it. that would be awsom. what ya think fast eddie?

Outlaw

Is the shifter restorable? That looks like the most valuable part. If not.....
Yard Art!!!

I had one of those as a kid looked good but to heavy to jump well . I moved back to mustangs because they could take more abuse. DARN KIDS :mrgreen:

if ya found a donor bike with the correct size down tube, you cut probably cut out the bb (with a portion of the down tube attached) and stuff it in the exsisting pipe. couple of bolts and there'd be no welding required.

could even tell peeps its custom, so you can change out sprockets with ease. :)

Well, the shifters been sitting in a wd40 bath for a week now, still no sign of movement. The bb appears to have been hacksawed off judging by the little nib left where they bent it to snap it. I presume if the weld had broke, the bottom of the tube would be fishmouthed, or have some sign of the weld left on it.
I'm still working to improve my welding, picked up a mig welder earlier this year. Some beads are passable, others are a spatter nightmare :oops: so if I find a beater raleigh with a decent heron crank i'll go for it. Nothing to lose, and a rideable bike to gain right?
Rick

Latest posts

Back