Westfield Wasteland

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's a 44' Westfield/Columbia
KIMG0720.JPG

I'm going with a classic Dragster Rat build. Big n' little, lace up some wheels. Chrome rat trap fork. No theme yet...

Carl.

Anybody else can't wait for the BO12?
Midnight my time zone...I was up.

226c54dc9f8ada57d48435a746282350.jpg

This is it this morning and I have a hour or so to tinker...

Carl.

Sent from my C6743 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Couple hours of tinkerin' counting scrubbing the crank and rings in the kitchen sink... and here we go...
Issue 1...needs a spacer, easy fix if ya got one.
KIMG0792.JPG
think I'll put it under the bottom race
KIMG0795.JPG

can't let little drawbacks stop the build
Three Arrows ring on a Huffy crank
KIMG0796.JPG

The wheels are just placeholders and here's where it all slows down. I need to lace my wheels to get what I want and I don't have the front hub or the rear rim.

Carl.

Last edited:
Looks like you made some good progress on day one, Carl. Like the frame and theme. Those fenders are cool. Will they make the cut?

RaT oN!

I got to checking clearances...
I borrowed the QuickBrick and rim, off of my 41' Elgin that @SlyRed built. It's only a 26x2.125 BUT on a 57mm wide rim it really opens up. So I'm thinking of going with a 57mm rim flat black, so I'd better check to see if it fits eh?
KIMG0802.JPG

No problemo. There's more than enough room! Now I wonder what Duro's cream Goodyear/Diamond tread will look like opened up on a 57mm rim? That tire has a bit of a shoulder, not quite a pie plate profile but in that realm.
I also swapped out my crank and ring for a mag style. The 3 Arrows ring I had on it was for a 5 speed derailleur setup and I need to run the wider chain to drive the kickback I have. The crank I have here is beefier too. Early BMX I think, and like new. I also found some bow pedals in cream.

Carl.

Last edited:
Took me a while to figure out exactly what was going on there!
:eek: Smoke and mirrors.
I like the extra tube in the middle, and I want to put the rear wheel back a bit. But unless I can find a donor with the same seat stays and dropouts, I doubt the double stays will happen.

Carl.

I think I have my drive train sorted out.
KIMG0808.JPG

Pulled the rear wheel off of an old build to get the coaster kickback hub I wanted and I found a high flange 27 1/4" wheel too. IF I can find the tires I want I may only have to lace the rear hub to a 57mm rim. That 27 squeezed right in, that's skinny fat to me and clean with no cables.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back