Westfield Wasteland

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the red dude on the rear axle? Just a red nut?
KIMG0974.JPG

genuine Fender baby! Strap locks...

Carl.

Smoopy used barbed wire struts on Tuco and it looked sick!
Ah! I remember seeing that bike in the archives. It had a barbed wire cup and baseball bat too. I'm goin' back to see it again.

Carl.

Black paint is drying...
I really don't like the aluminum 3 piece front sprocket... I don't have a chrome 3 pc one. I might have a raggedy black one. I do have the chrome mag in one piece. Hmm, what to do. I do want to put it all back together tonight...

Carl.

Last edited:
I found my GE electric stove top grill sprocket. Got the barbed struts 99% and polished some thangs. I think I'll put some old repo black bow pedals that I have on. Hit it with some copper wire loops tomorrow. Then maybe she's done... Gotta check the on og chain guard.
c7a9fff9ff958db969492aae87f3d696.jpg

Carl.

LOL! I've never heard someone call the Murray chainring a GE ELectric Stovetop ring!!!! :21:

243868-1-M-GE-WB30M2-Surface-Element-8-2350W.jpg

LOL! I've never heard someone call the Murray chainring a GE ELectric Stovetop ring!!!! :21:

243868-1-M-GE-WB30M2-Surface-Element-8-2350W.jpg
Yeah that's what I've always been reminded of...
I do have a few different sprockets for 1 piece cranks.
The repo Schwinn Mag looks ok but it's overdone and this isn't a Schwinn. I've got a couple different styles of 3 Arrows, the spacier one with a matching three sided guard was on it for a bit last month. I've got Huffy's version of a 5 spoke that looks like a 5 petal flower to me and in raw steel I have a curved six spoke that looks monarkish. There is a Columbia style I'm going to see if my honey hole bud has. It's a ten spoke split into pairs... but for now it's wearing the Murray.

Carl.

I too like the guard.

Agree, The red looks a little out of place, but could integrate in, if there were red somewhere else on the bike to match.

Rusty white chain to match the darts would look pretty sweet. [emoji102]

Building..... Riding.....

I too like the guard.

Agree, The red looks a little out of place, but could integrate in, if there were red somewhere else on the bike to match.

Rusty white chain to match the darts would look pretty sweet. [emoji102]

Building..... Riding.....
There's red on the three band Bendix hub and... Yeah it's gotta go. But I think I can paint it rusty white. Hmm. I also need to trim up the fender to clear the chain better and nibble just a bit out of the top of the guard. Riding is better with the bigger ring too. Low gear is cruise and high gear is open road...

Carl.

Last edited:
Passed on the bobbed fender with barbed wire struts... Cool but no I have the original peaked fender too.
68fad58f3874e64875a879559144023e.jpg
e68c6022fbd9f35857f7a90e2c01ec51.jpg
8b36d13586adef09561cf13dc37bff7e.jpg

Wire wheeled the red off of the right side of the chain, put the seat down, mounted the guard and dug up a reflector that may just be a place holder. It's getting close.

Carl.

Last edited:
Looks like you made some good progress on day one, Carl. Like the frame and theme. Those fenders are cool. Will they make the cut?
RaT oN!
Well, there ya go. A question from day one that at the time was a solid no, has changed to a YES, but just the back one. I went for a ride on the Harlequin early today, came back and swapped out the fenders on the Wasteland. To be honest, I didn't think the 26 x 2.4 would fit, but there's plenty of room. Now I did have to spread the struts some and take out a lot of the crease that was in it to clear the chain. With the old strut mounts that go over the axle it's practically self centering, but this is also as close as I can get it.

Carl.

Looking cool Carl....glad Falstaff found the guitar part. Would have never guessed that one in a million years.

Have you thought about a skinny chrome fender for the front? Doesn't really need it but might be ineteresting. Could attach it to the rat trap so it moves with the tire when the springer compresses.

Have you thought about a skinny chrome fender for the front? Doesn't really need it but might be interesting. Could attach it to the rat trap so it moves with the tire when the springer compresses.
I actually have one and have been going back and forth in my head about it...
I really like that rear fender on there with the original paint-ina! It makes that rear tire look even fatter, I think.
Yep, it's staying on there. It has a cool patina going. The whole bike was crusty enough to look green before I polished it a bit with PB Blaster and a green scruffy and found the blue underneath.
KIMG1012.JPG

Seat up and bars tilted for riding...
Oh, and neat as the Wald bracket and old brass Royal flashlight is... say bye bye...

Carl.

Last edited:
Yep this is super RAD !

Latest posts

Back