Well , I went in a different direction.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About my Mixte build and about , the Schwinn Continental frame and the Raleigh Super Course frame .
After a lot of swapping , cussing , banging knuckles , and carrying frames up and down the garage steps , I finally decided on a frame to build myself a single speed road cruiser .
I built this to ride on Sundays with some folks on another biking forum . They have a Single Speed Sunday ride thread .
I took the Mixte out this morning and I’m too cramped riding it . I went to turn around in the street and almost dropped the bike . The geometry is off .
Anyways , I tried to swap everything over to Schwinn frame and ran into odd sizes . The stem for one is smaller than 22.2mm . And that frame weighs a ton . I didn’t even want to start on the old Raleigh frame . I knew it had odd size issues without even checking , plus it has cottered cranks .
I dug out the old 700c frame I‘d rattle can painted black a few years ago . I don’t even remember what brand bike it is , but I remember it was chrome moly, and lighter than any of the others .
So, I spent a couple hours building it up .
I went back to the BMX bars and with this frame , I’m able to have a front brake easily .
Everything just sort fit and fell into place on this frame , and it’s comfortable to ride .
I‘ll be glad when my 700c rear wheel gets here and I can match up my tires .
Speaking of tires , the ones I have are 700x35‘s . With this frame I can easily fit 40’s or maybe 42’s on it, which I like a lot . I much prefer using the most tire I can fit on a bike .
And I’m digging the black .
64B657C0-5393-4447-945E-1394BED4112F.jpeg

Last edited:
The rack is great for beer runs.
I wish !
I use it sometimes to carry my fishing tackle and takedown rod to fish the town pond . Or to deliver Neighbor‘s packages that get delivered to my address by mistake.
I also have a small cooler I strap to it to take extra water on long MUP rides .

Took the new SS out for a cruise this morning and kept feelin a bump when I pedaled .
Check it out when I got home and the crank axle had a lot of play in it .
Luckily I had a new crankset with bottom bracket I’d bought about six months ago to put on my Specialized Hardrock, ut changed my mind .
After about two hours of video watching and tool searching, I took out my channel locks and removed the old BB and installed the new one, along with a 42 tooth chainring that’ll make the bike pedal easier on my old knees .
Now I need my new 700c rear wheel and I’ll be just about finished with this one .
I just realized , with the new rear wheel , the Brooks saddle and the bottom bracke/ crankset , I’m just south of $300 invested in new parts in this one . And friends get upset when I refuse to work on their old bikes . I suggest they buy new .
DD60F47D-464D-4CD8-90E5-982B072D84B7.jpeg

Last edited:
My longer stem came today . This moved the bars up a little but mainly forward , giving me more space between the saddle and the bars .
Removed the rack . Prefer the cleaner look and I’m going to try and keep this one light .
This one has evolved into a sweet ride .
E6169489-E647-4391-906B-3CA6AEE0F791.jpeg

Well , I guess my no name 700 Cruiser will keep its 27” rear wheel .
I got my 700c wheel this morning and it’s not going to work .
First off I was disappointed in it because it is a deep V wheel and presta tube .
When I went to mount my tire , it seemed like the wheel was undersized . I had to work to get the tire seated to where the tube didn’t want to blow out the side . I would never feel safe riding this wheel .
Also its a 110 instead of 120 I thought I was getting . But I can space it with washers like I did the 27” wheel .
But when I went to mount the axle nuts , I discovered the threads were messed up on both sides of the axle .
The shipping box wasn’t damaged , so it had to be sent out this way .
I was able to chase the threads on the brake side with the axle nut and clean the threads up , but on the gear side , it was damaged on the end .
After working with it for a few minutes I was able to get the nut started and threaded 4-5 turns , but it froze up on me and wouldn’t turn either way .
The seller only accepts returns in “as new” “ unpackaged condition and I’d have to pay return shipping.
Guess I’m the proud owner of a parts wheel . maybe I can use the internal parts for a coaster brake rebuild. I may have to cut the ends of the axle off the get it apart .
Lesson learned . I can strike that dealer off my list to do business with .

Latest posts

Back