Weird old fixed gear bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My son bought this bike frame and shipped it to me to fix up for him. He was told it originally had wood wheels and was from the 1920s. It has a very odd headset, no cups but races pressed onto the head tube lugs. It has a hole of an oil cup on the BB and a large drain hole in the under side of the BB. It has track type drop outs and an Italian bottom bracket. It had two coats of spray bomb that I removed. The tubing is stamped EXTRASTAHLROHR TITANUS, which is 1930s Italian tubing, seamless and very high quality, equal to the Columbus tubing 50 years later. It is nickel plated and the lugs were originally red. He was told it was a German track bike but the fork is drilled for a brake and there are brazed on water bottle mounts with pan head slotted screws. It's not German but the tubing name probably confused the previous owner. My research told me that braze on water bottle holders were rare before 1960. I don't know how rare? My question is could these braze on bottle mounts be original?
IMG_1411.JPG
IMG_1407.JPG
IMG_1406.JPG
IMG_1412.JPG
IMG_1413.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG

Can't help you on the bottle mounts, though Luke makes a very good point. However, I too have a question concerning the bottom bracket. Exactly when did square taper become the norm? I certainly would not expect to see it used on a bike from the '20s.

Can't help you on the bottle mounts, though Luke makes a very good point. However, I too have a question concerning the bottom bracket. Exactly when did square taper become the norm? I certainly would not expect to see it used on a bike from the '20s.
Square taper bottom brackets use the same threads as English cotter pin ones, so that may be a later swap too.

The square taper is not original. It was built up as a fixie when I got it. What a mess, loose balls on the top race, bigger balls in a cage on the bottom race so it bound. It had a long Italian track type gooseneck, carbon bars with horns sticking out in the front to rest on, clipless pedals on a first generation alloy Shimano single chainring crank, a small chainring because the square taper bottom bracket was too short to allow a bigger chainwheel to clear the frame, a Ritchie seat post, a modern splined Campaganolo bottom bracket, an alloy small flange Campagnolo front 36 hole quick release hub laced to every other hole and a 36 hole Wycliffe Bayless small flange steel bolt on track hub with a missing oil filler cap laced to every other hole. It had high quality rims and thin slick (about 20 mm) racing tires. It was hacked pretty badly considering the effort and the parts. Just a little more attention to detail would have made it ridable. The binding fork made it unsafe, it bound up bad. The only thing original is the frame, fork and headset races. All we want it the frame and fork, the rest is junk so I didn't mention that it was a semi dismantled bike he sent me.

Fun project! I have a square taper Shimano UN-55 BB 70mm/118mm. If it works for your project I would be happy to send it out, just cover the shipping. Brand new in box. Should be the correct thread for this.

Fun project! I have a square taper Shimano UN-55 BB 70mm/118mm. If it works for your project I would be happy to send it out, just cover the shipping. Brand new in box. Should be the correct thread for this.
Planning on using a 3 pin cottered crank and skip tooth drive line. Cotters have to be replaced quite frequently but I have the tool.

Latest posts

Back