we have a winner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0676.JPG
Came across a bike at the goodwill I frequent. The store rarely has bicycle priced right and this one was right on the fence. I called my wife to mull it over with her. Even myself was questioning buying a worth while bike, which almost never happens. The deal was that I would flip it quick as we are broke, like normal.

It's a 1984 or 85 Schwinn Mesa Runner women's all for $50. All original (Schwinn printed on everything!) down to the tires, pretty certain. Did an overhaul that was only half necessary considering it actually rode out the door. After that deed was done, I test rode it and it was just beautiful.

I told my wife that it just might be the bike we have been searching for all along. Something comfortable, versatile and good for commuting. Well she loves it! I would say I'm just as happy, because now she can experience the true nomadic nature of cycling. Up until now, she only could hear of my adventures after the fact.

We rode maybe 20 miles yesterday with no obstacle getting in the way. This would be her first bike with gears, hand brakes and the ability to go off the beaten path.

In summary, this is a milestone for the two of us and I just can't contain my excitement. Thus, I had to share with my fellow bicycle nuts.

Very cool!
Surprised they wanted that much for it, usually the market for ladies bikes is very limited!
There is a price monster at that particular goodwill. It's actually very upsetting. I've seen the same early 90's women's hybrid there for $70. It's totally thrashed in every way, one piece cranks and Walmart quality components.

Their tag system is totally ridiculous now. They now have certain colors that stay between 50%-80% off, while certain colors stay regular price (except on their bi weekly sales). Well, guess what color tags they exclusively use for higher priced items? Yup, the non discounted tags.

All of that aside, in Arizona, I haven't seen a huge difference in price for women's bikes in any market. There are so many bikes here that people are just happy to find a decent one. Whenever I move them, I put plenty of information in the ad. Almost everybody who has bought from me tells me they liked that I gave detailed info about the bike and the services I performed. It makes them feels all warm and cozy (as it should ;) ) knowing exactly what they are investing in.

It's a Schwinn, so that automatically inflates the price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which is unfortunate, but sometimes good.
One of the local scrap yards sells me bikes sometimes, I can usually get a decent older bike for a few bucks. But the guy that runs the place will ask more for a walmart schwinn than what walmart sells them for.

At the same time, my local goodwill over prices everything. Even salvation army has started doing it.

Latest posts

Back