(WBO2015) 1910 INDIAN Board Track - COMPLETED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I did it...
I had practice once before using a skinny mtb rim with its own spokes and a coaster hub...The spokes are about 10mm longer.
I had purchased new spokes and took a guess on the size.
I laced up with the new spokes and relized the 3 gear sachs hub diameter is larger than the velosteel hub.That was easy,I would just grind the extra spoke tip down.In the end I don't need to,they just sit below the top of the nipple.
After getting it right the first time with new spokes,I decided to give it a go again with the painted red old spokes?
For the life of me every 2 were longer by 15mm?:crazy2:
So a expert opinion needed.
Do the spokes stretch over time? And does the paint and rust hinder the tweeking?

In the end I relaced with the new spokes,done and trued,maybe a mm out.:113:
The wider the rim the easy to line it up.;)
Post pics tomorrow...
Has been snow flaking all day,but nothing settles,needs to be a couple degrees lower.

Sounds like maybe you missed a hole when lacing with the old spokes? Maybe did one side 4x and the other 3x?
15mm is huge!

Luke.
I did it like 3 times,couldn't figure it out.Even had another wheel to copy.
The moment I used the new spokes, right first go on both accounts?o_O

Sounds like you are have a ton of fun with the lacing. I will be ther by the weekend, or so I hipe
Hope you like scratching your head...

No progress today.Cold and windy,but i did get inside the workshop and sorted out nuts n bolts etc...
Wheel is straight and centered,only needed to tweek it a few times.
I use a marker taped to the rear of a bike.
It marks the spot or not. Shows the spokes to adjust...
DSCN3796.JPG
DSCN3797.JPG

DSCN3798.JPG

Ready for sanding and spraying.

Nice work! Just remember to completely remove any trace of that marker before painting, learned my lesson the hard way...

Luke.
Good point,have done that before...

I'll be honest, I cried a little when I saw that you cut that frame, but this looks like it is shaping up to be your best build yet. I will be watching.
Me too,I am not for cutting up rare frames or old.In the end I didnt need to cut the rear out so much.But still needed to extend the drops by 2cm.Bike was made for much smaller wheels not 26".
Truth is will be no difference,4' in width instead of 6' and a extra 15mm back.I matched the same width tubing as the original,that's why I went to the trouble of using the same tube and welded the 2 together with a tube inside for support.
otherwise would have been easier to make a new rear end.

A question to wheel builders.
I am guessin after you ride it a few times,the spokes will need tweekin some more?
Sky's the limit now,I already ordered alloy strips,will join to wheels together to make them wider.Like I have seen here on a rat thread.
I have so many MTB wheels,will attempt to build them back using a coaster hub and the same spokes.

You will find that 260-262mm spokes are very common on the cheaper end MTB's and Cruisers, very handy for swapping hubs and rims... ;)

Luke.
Yep been measuring the different lengths.
The coaster hub hole are larger in diameter, so it leaves about 5mm over,if they are tight and trued I would just grind the extra bit of the spoke.
I know the holes on the rims are not centered,so I wonder if using the furthest hole from the hub would work?

260 worked for me... Schwinn coaster and alloy MTB rims...
After lacing and truing, I tugged on all the spokes and pulled on them like plucking, then I left mine "untired" overnight. I believe by the next day they had relaxed/settled some, I then did a final true on it. May have been unnecessary but it was my first ever so I wanted to be sure before I put it all together... Hope yours works out for you.

Carl.

I'm using the velosteel hubs and also sachs and torpedos(German).The holes are different in diameter...lol I guess that was the reason in the old days,so you couldn't swap parts out...I will measure the schwinn and higgins (skiptooth) hubs. Interesting to see the sizes.
I know the cheap MTB hubs a much smaller...

Today I extendend the axel and bottom bracket AGAIN?:arghh::banghead:
Just didn't get it the first time,needed extra 1.5cm to clear the rear stays, had calculated the pedals but not the chain drive...DOH!!!!... Engine clearance is a blast.
I do believe it it all seems inline...
Will clean it all up and attach the rear end in next day or so.
So stoked :rockout: it's all coming together slowly. By the end of the week,I want all welding sanding etc to be done....
But wind n rain again from tomorrow....:arghh:

Today is the birthday of the kid that I gave Good Vibrations too...
He rides it almost everyday...
A small vid with My Electra Jeremy(a work in progress),1950 Schwinn(Purple Reign),Angel '0' Death and Good Vibrations.

Latest posts

Back