(WBO) Thor's Twins '48 DX x2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So now that I got dad's bike posted to light a fire under his butt, time to do the same for me. Here's what I'm stating with, matching 1948 Schwinn DX's. A lot of noise in the pic from the other frames, but I didn't grab individual pics before starting to clean them up.

Why two at once? Well the big annual car swap is coming up in February and I'd like to have them done by then for shameless profit seeking opportunities. One'll be a full on Hoopty-licous blingfest, the other more or less traditional hot rod.

The starter yeast:
a981032c-86be-4919-b282-cdf1abc7ab6f.jpg

Heckling welcome, got a deadline on this one :)

Some progress... Uncle Ronnie brought over his skills to do a little braising-

Nexus roller brake tab:
IMG_20150113_164028.jpg

and derailleur tab on a '39 DX Klunker (yet another project on the bench)
IMG_20150112_174205.jpg

and I got my hands a little dirty silver soldering some escutcheons for internal cables on my dad's 47 Fatbar (yet yet another project on his bench):
IMG_20150112_180014.jpg

IMG_20150113_162221.jpg

Simple stuff by the standards of a lot of the scratch building gods around here, but new skills to me, so that's a win in my book.

Well, as it turns out they're huge. They make a 5.5mm version and a 7mm version and it seems dad ordered the 7mm one. The 4mm Shimano cables are going to look a bit lost, so we're going to flare some copper tubing and insert a little stint int them... eventually.

Eyes are bleeding from the classifieds... need a chainring, 48+ standard pitch- something swoopy to look good under a feather chainguard. IMO the standard 46ish chainrings look like crap under a chainguard designed for something in the 50 range, and I've never liked the Phantom style.

Trying to avoid this look:
7267880c-87ff-4e6d-9e30-54a9e647ce0d.jpg

I suppose I could just go skiptooth instead, as I have a couple rings, but good golly nice chains are expensive and Ichi's out of stock on his sprockets :( Anyone know what the normal link count would be for 26/11 so I don't cheat myself?

Google "bike chain calculator"
Multiple kinds but they just need the measurements
from cog centers and gear and sprocket sizes,
and some will do "inch pitch"...

Carl.

Last edited:
TLDR; I'm an Indian Giving D-Bag.

So the the only real progress this weekend was organizational- got out in the garage and did some cleaning, sometimes that's the most important thing to cast into relief what you actually need to prioritize when you have just way to many projects all going on at the same time. Good news: lots of progress was made; bad news, I'm a jerk. As I get things to the point where can start looking at bicycle parts, I start grinding rivets off fender stays and start selecting fenders for DX #2. Front fender? No problem, of the six fenders I have (three rear three front, all razor edge) one rear is pre-war and went with the '41 frame I gave my old man. Of the three fronts, two are post war springers, an one a regular short dimple ducktail, and clearly in the best condition, so that's the one I'll use right? On to the rear. Of the two remaining rears, one is hammered, one is ok, so the ok one it is. But... and there's always a but. The little ridge stamped along the edge where the metal curls under is different than the front. And I'm just the kind of nerd who, not matter how nice a bike I build, the VERY FIRST THING my eye will ALWAYS be drawn to when I look at the bike is that one franking 1/16 difference in the radius in the stamping in the fenders. And since I was planning on powder coating them, Bondo is not an option. So I look at the edges of the other fenders and of course, as luck would have it, I do in fact have an exactly matching pair of stamping and edges, identical in every way, clearly from the same bike based on house-paint forensics, and of course they are the most hammered examples of each. Peachy. And they are double dimple fenders, which means now I have to come up with truss rods which is money I wasn't planning on spending. Double peachy. Double and now I have to find someone with much, much more talent with metal then I, and prolly even a fender roller. Type II Diabetes Sugar Coma Inducing Cobbler peachy. So In this process I'm looking at the fenders and decide that the simple fender is most likely prewar, and so I text my dad, 'don't worry about the front fender, I have one, we just need to change the dimple'.
Time goes by, I keep cleaning.
Over the course of the day I randomly place my one pre-war fork in my other '40-41 frame hanging on the wall. At some point it catches my eye that the steerer is really, really short. So I go to the shelf, tap in a couple cups, slap together a headset, and lo and behold, my one pre-war fork is from a standard non-truss model bike, and my one pre-war front fender is too, even though clearly from different bikes. And there's a guy on ePay with NOS rear pre-war (ladies) fenders this week. Guess who just texted his old man to tell him he's keeping his pre-war front fender.

Eek gads I'm a jerk. ;)

Where to even begin. Sideways almost sort of starts to get there. Lots of progress this week, but lots more of the 'work on project D,E, and F to make progress on A and B' flavor as before. With the big auto swap drawing near, I'm really focusing on trying to get bikes out into the crowds of folks with cash in hand just desperate to buy bikes. Uh huh. So, that meant the '79 Spitfire who was to be donating it's forks, bars and some incidentals to DX #1 in this project:

IMG_20140418_173633.jpg

had to come apart (and gives an idea of where #1 was going) and so as part of that all the parts from the black '59 Jaguar in my avatar got transplanted to the red Spit. 90% complete on that one. Took the Nexus 7 coaster wheelset from the spit and the old Nitto bars from my Jamis and put them and the original forks back on the black Jag and should have that ready to sell at the meet once three miles of Grab-on arrives. another 90% complete. Pics later I suppose.

Then, alas, the best laid plans of mice and men. I got the call from my powder guy that frame #1 was ready. Picked it up, took it out to the garage and just hung it on a random hook. I go out to the garage this morning, and noticed I had hung it right next to the Jamis which was my inspiration for the color- I liked it so much when I had it done that I had the DX done in the exact same thing.

IMG_20150207_120843.jpg

and as you can see, that is a VERY unfortunate juxtaposition of parts, which then got me thinking, and pretty soon I'm wrenching, and next thing I knew, despite having a whole heap of crap off at the chrome shop, the direction of DX #1 has turned 180 degrees and the Jamis is out the door as soon as someone puts cash in hand and I'm never looking at it again lol.

IMG_20150207_145128.jpg

Complete about face, and TOTALLY not what I had in mind, but it's just so darn clean I can't resist. Not loving the square pedals, but baby steps. Maybe I'll pound them round like giant KKT's and have them chromed. I'll pick up some cheap 90's Chinese Huffy to put the 140 spoke wheels on ;)

Turns out I ordered the wrong tube grips, so whatever. Picked up a headbadge and Stingray top tube decals (I just like the smaller script) and broke out the welder to extend the bars and grabbed some snakebellies off the wall...
IMG_20150215_191746.jpg

Plain Jane, but hits all the right notes. All these bikes getting built to make room to build a bike. Ug! Rear fender arrived for the second frame finally, and still waiting for chrome to come back, so definitely more to come...

Ug, well I suppose an update is due...sold the second DX to a guy who just had to have it, so so much for the Twin builds, and still waiting for my chrome, should be back any day. I get it done at such a discount through a family friend, I cant really complain if I'm on the "I'll get around to it" pile. It's the old do you want it fast or do you want it cheap rule, and I'm cheap. Did clean off that horrible workbench however :)

Latest posts

Back