(WBO) Super - Sonic......1957 Chevy parts....finished, finished,, FINISHED!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next installment, I thought that the frame looked to plain all black so I did a bit on paint work on it. I then went over it a sanded the paint and satin cleared it to keep the "well used bike" look. I'm not sure how much the paint helped the look of the bike, bit I don't think I hurt it.

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_12101.JPG

I got this cool Starjet head badge FREE!! From a member here @spd635 Steve. He didn't even let me pay shipping on it! Thanks again Steve!

IMG_1211.JPG

I am now ready to start assembling most of the bike. Still have many issues to figure out, but here we go.

IMG_1212.JPG

Greased the bearings and started to assembly the fork. Done for today!!

IMG_12141.JPG

YOWZA!!!! I had a lot of catching up to do on this build. WOW!!! :eek:
Chain guard painting is super cool, that fork work is genius, tires are perfect,tank is awesome,etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
LOVE LOVE LOVE this build!!!! Great work!

Thanks for all of the complements!! I still have some hurdles to get over before this one is done, bit I am pretty happy so far.

Just another update as I continue to clean, grease, adjust, and assemble this bike. The front wheel that I am using is off of an old Raleigh 10 speed. It took a lot of rubbing to remove the rust from the spokes and rim! I greased it and set the bearings.

IMG_1215.JPG

I have installed the star chain ring, some new jeweled Torrington pedals, and the chain guard. I am still a little less than thrilled about the amount of chainring showing at the top, but I feel that this was the best compromise.

IMG_1216.JPG

I got rid of the original S-7 hoop in the rear but saved the good part! I laced a random chrome hoop to the bendix red band 2 speed hub after I cleaned everything up nicely. Then I tore down the hub and cleaned it and repacked it. WOW, my first time into a 2 speed, thankfully I work on transmissions some. Because that is what the insides of this hub look like. A planetary gear set, some friction and steel discs (brake) very similar to automatic trans clutch packs.

IMG_1217.JPG

A cute item to match the theme.... rocket valve stem caps.

IMG_12182.JPG

I also polished up the rear rack. Man, that old Schwinn chrome really comes back to life with a little aluminum foil scrubbing!

IMG_1219.JPG

So, here is the bike as it sits right now.

IMG_12201.JPG

Last edited:
I am planning to use an old spaceliner seat on this build. But, I just about bent the crap out of the lower pan when I separated the pieces! I intend to dye it and make some changes to the lower section for my mounts.

IMG_1221.JPG

Well, I got the seat all taped off and ready for some deep red vinyl dye. I had to order it in so I won't have it until tomorrow. :(

IMG_12221.JPG

I had originally planned to use an old Huffy two-tone red and white seat on this bike. @jd56 had one but it was a little on the rough side, so I grabbed this decent saddle off of my girl's spaceliner bike. I did my own two-tone job with some dupli-color vinyl dye. This seat has a crash rail also, the huffy seat didn't. Here is a picture of the seat and a quick mockup on the bike.

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1223.JPG

Those valve caps are sweet!:rockout: LUCKY ROCKET SHIP VALVE STEM CAPS

Last edited:
Sorry that I haven't posted on this build in a while. I have been in one of those 2 steps forward, 3 steps back modes for a week or so! I wanted to try and make a seat mount that was cool and out of the ordinary!
I made a front mount on the seat base so that it could hinge off of the original seat post.

IMG_1228.JPG

I also realized that the original seat was designed for about half of my weight, so I installed a rubber bump stop into the lower frame.

IMG_12293.JPG

It took quite a while to make these 1/4" thick aluminum "wings" designed to mount the seat. I intended to polish them out and really make them a focal point of the bike.

IMG_12301.JPG

IMG_12311.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

After all of this, I looked long and hard at the mount.... and decided that It looked out of place, and not at all like the flowing form that I envisioned to complement the form of this build.

Latest posts

Back