(WBO) Super - Sonic......1957 Chevy parts....finished, finished,, FINISHED!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, I kinda hated tearing it all down! It almost seems like it could be done anytime. But, I do have quite a few more modifications to make. Stay tuned...............

I saw that fork on eBay...
It's not all there is it? Gonna' be some fun modding it all together.
I have a threaded head tube from a Schwinn excersizer...
just like the tube on a springer but not chrome...
Want it? Needs a bearing race...

Carl.

I saw that fork on eBay...
It's not all there is it? Gonna' be some fun modding it all together.
I have a threaded head tube from a Schwinn excersizer...
just like the tube on a springer but not chrome...
Want it? Needs a bearing race...

Carl.

Thanks for the offer Carl, but I'm getting it done. I heated and bent the Schwinn fork, then I cut the fork down to about 5". I will show some pics in the next couple of days. Using part of the original fork this way allows me to rake the Springer more to my liking.

I worked a little more on the fork today. I basically heated the original Schwinn fork and bent the legs slightly beyond 90deg. And then drilled and welded a tube between legs.

IMG_1200.JPG

After I squared everything up, I put the Springer on the bike to check figment. Next thing to do is make up a top plate to tie everything together.

IMG_1199.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

Yeah, I really just set the fork in the vise how I wanted it, then heated the blades and bent them over until they touched the top of the vise. I had to go back and straighten the back of the blades a couple of times because they wanted to roll in at the bend. I had to get a pretty extreme bend because I wanted to get the fork out forward for my rake but I also wanted to get the hinge point down close to what the springer had originally. I thought that it was cool that it only took some minor flexing to get the chrome to fit the fork after surgery.

O.K. my tires got here today and I have come to my first 2 sticking points. The plan was, to flip the old hot rod script of red rims with whitewall tires over to white rims with red wall tires ( I was going to add a red pinstripe on the rim also). BUT, now seeing the tires on dirty chrome rims, I am leaning towards just giving the rims a nice cleaning and polish and forget the paint. The next issue is the rake, I think that where I have it in these pics gives a nice stance and wheelbase. If I go farther it drops the bike some, but the front end almost looks displaced from the rest of the bike then. I am open to opinions and am not easily offended so feel free to pick it apart.

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

Almost forgot, the front tire is a 27 x 1 1/4 and the rear is 26 x 2.125
And this beauty in the lower left corner in Sweet Pea aka PIGDOG.

Last edited:
More rake would have a tendency to flop over.
If being a good rider is as important as the look...
I like it, I put the same tires (as your rear tire)
on my flat black tandem with a chrome springer.

Carl.

More rake would have a tendency to flop over.
If being a good rider is as important as the look...

Carl.

Yeah Carl, it has to be decent ride. It's like I told my brother in law, my bikes are like your model cars, except when you finish a model car it sits on a shelf to look at, while I go for a ride on mine.

Latest posts

Back