(WBO) "Slightly Dangerous" Bomber - Finished! 3/16

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I change anything I am going to loosen the chain. After I greased the coaster I spun it by hand, at that time I noticed the drive sprocket has some play - Maybe the tight chain may be binding the coaster slightly. Weather not good for test drive however.:confused:

Compared rolling resistance with little kids 16" bike with same Chinese hub. rolled just as free, so led to me to research gearing.
Thus:
was stock
44tooth/20tooth=2.44 wheel revs per crank rev x 26"=63.44 gear inches
now is
32tooth/20tooth=1.6 wheel revs per crank rev x 26"=41.6 gear inches.
I robbed the 32 tooth front sprocket from the kids bike! LOL :banana:

B-24 build... love the concept!!
Once you get that drivetrain sorted out, any styling cues to point it towards the B-24 bomber, or is it the name only that you're using?
Looking good, keep it coming...

Carl.

Me and Yoopergirl was wondering why city slicks and BMX chain gear? Come north and we can find your a slick hill to test that gearing! Can wait for pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you get that drivetrain sorted out, any styling cues to point it towards the B-24 bomber, or is it the name only that you're using?
Looking good, keep it coming...

Carl.
Pondering addition of some aluminum panel. and some graphics.
The build is seeming to be taking on a life of its own however...
So really unknown at this time.:dance2:

Me and Yoopergirl was wondering why city slicks and BMX chain gear? Come north and we can find your a slick hill to test that gearing! Can wait for pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do have knobbies in my possession.:grin:

UPDATE - 1/29 Got front v brake operational and chain shortened to go with 16" Huffy kids bike front sprocket. Kinda crappy grey day and pics are dark even with flash! Took test drive to Post office and bike just powered along thru snow and against pretty good headwind. Have to raise seat a bit yet.

wbo2015update4bright17_zpsb4e45ff6.jpg

Here is pic of "new" sprocket and used alum GT pedals...

wbo2015update4bright13_zps3a35961f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also seems like bike is more "hybrid" than "bomber" now (maybe its the tires) may change that. In case anyone noticed the front brake lever is on wrong (Right hand) side cause the hex screw is stripped out on that one and I had to leave it on there anyway!

or38_06.jpg

Then again others (Alan Bond built - orange 1938) have done this before!
http://clunkers.net/orange1938/orange1938.html
Brake works great tho!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
UPDATE - 2/3
wbo2015update5003post_zpsf5341d10.jpg

Swapped out directional tires for knobbies. 26X1.95 front and 26X2.125 rear. Rear is one of those "folding" type tires without a wire bead, kinda skeptical how it would work on the funky Chinese rim that caused me trouble keeping the previous tire seated but seems good so far.
wbo2015update5042post_zps5b2c7af3.jpg

Knobbies much softer compound then previous tires and seem sticky even on hard packed snow - though don't think I'd be a winter biker at 16 deg I get pretty sick of it quickly.With the low gearing it will be awesome in summer on dirt tho.

Thanks Luke, I've had limited opportunity to ride it so far, but it is comfortable on short jaunts down the road and riding around the yard. Looking forward to little warmer weather here for extended ride. I assume fork compresses some with me in saddle, so maybe a little less rake when riding than setting parked.

Also seems like bike is more "hybrid" than "bomber" now (maybe its the tires) may change that. In case anyone noticed the front brake lever is on wrong (Right hand) side cause the hex screw is stripped out on that one and I had to leave it on there anyway!

Don't worry; it ain't a hybrid without derailers.... of course, it ain't a bomber with a handbrake, neither.... You're building yourself a plain-n-simple klunker right here...

As for the right lever for the front brake: that's called "moto" style by some folks, and that's how they run'm in the UK.... I got a few bikes set up moto; i like it!

Great! I'm experimenting with saddles now, found a Specialized one that can slide back on the rails more.

No pics yet but trying to fit a rack to the back - kinda a trail bike look. Plus I like the utility.

Hopefully not a face plant! What's the weather like in Greece? In Wisconsin it's like -15 f or -26 c.....
Not that cold here,but we do get snow from time to time.We get wind,and mostly rain,but also Tee days in winter.

Added an old spring type rear rack, and a used Specialized mattress spring seat. My brother used a Cricut machine to cut lettering for the top tube and skull and cross bones for a head badge.
slightly%20dangerous%20done%20005_zpsxkn5tb3m.jpg

slightly%20dangerous%20done%20004_zpsulhzmlbd.jpg

Very happy how it came together and it rides great!
slightly%20dangerous%20done%20007_zpsuuzyxwgo.jpg

We have had 3 or 4 very nice days and I have put about 10 mi of road riding on it and a little offroad too, so far and it does pretty well.

slightly%20dangerous%20done%20009_zpsdxk0lecz.jpg

slightly%20dangerous%20train%202_zps1yx05f4k.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back