(WBO) SGT. ROCK finished (for now)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta thick black coat of primer on today, may yet shoot the olive green.

Carl.

2, yeah 2 many! ;)

Well until I can score some new wheels I'm stripping these S-7's I have. Originally tan with a black pinstripe on each side, they've been house painted with a pretty close tan, looks like they did it to cover up the pinstripe. o_O duh. With chemical strip, a scraper and a flapwheel, I've got the rim sides done, between the spokes is gonna be a pain. For paint I have a nice green just a bit darker than the olive on the frame. Should match well.

Carl. :comando:

Why not take the rim off? It would be far less work for stripping and painting. :39:
Ah... trying to stretch my skill set huh? I've never laced or unlaced a rim and these are straight, front and rear... I do want to attempt it at some point but not on these.

Carl.

its not bad give ita try no better time than now you be soprised how simple it really is you can do it if you cant im sure someone would be glad to help you out

You can do it, I've seen your other work. ;)

Here's a trick to make it simple: Tie all of the spokes together where they cross with wire or string, mark the spokes on either side of the tube hole if you want to go back exactly as it came out, then remove all of the nipples and take it apart. When you get it ready to go back together, all of the spokes will be in the same position and you don't have to worry about the pattern.

100_7033_zpsa837d7ec.jpg

Here's my favorite wheel lacing vid.

Not too difficult but I always watch the vid while I'm lacing a wheel. It's a lot of fun.

If you can true a wheel it's not too bad.

You can do it, I've seen your other work. ;)

Here's a trick to make it simple: Tie all of the spokes together where they cross with wire or string, mark the spokes on either side of the tube hole if you want to go back exactly as it came out, then remove all of the nipples and take it apart. When you get it ready to go back together, all of the spokes will be in the same position and you don't have to worry about the pattern.

100_7033_zpsa837d7ec.jpg

I used this technique with 1/2" masking tape when I had to unlace and relace the Electra wheelsets that I had to that the rim colors would match. It really made it a breeze.

Yay! I have the link on my thread too... WooHoo!
Thanks Chad.

Carl.

After much inspection, I believe I'll do the rear wheel. One, there's no dish and I've been wanting to do something different with the rear wheel on my last MBBO3 bike, ALiEN FiRE. So I'm using that hoop on the Schwinn hub. It has the look, black rim, chrome nipples, and 36 black spokes (guaranteed not to fit...) I also already have a front rim to match it. So now, since its a multispeed rim and the hubs are different, I need a easy spoke calculator, and a spoke source. Any favorites out there in Ratland?

Carl.

Last edited:
Here's a good calculator. You can click the ? marks to get an explaination of the value it's asking for. http://www.bikeschool.com/tools/spoke-length-calculator

I use bmxguru on ebay for spokes. Had the local bike shop cut some once but they were expensive and way too many spokes with rough threads. Once you get your dimensions you can order spokes from him. He has them split into different quantities. Then just figure out what you want for nipples....uh huh huh huh....:p

Glad you are trying it Carl!
I put it off for many years and only recently tried it, I really love doing it now and will be testing my skills when it comes time for the Klunker build off this time next year, already ordered the fat spokes from Ind_Chuckz!

Luke.

Glad you are trying it Carl!
I put it off for many years and only recently tried it, I really love doing it now and will be testing my skills when it comes time for the Klunker build off this time next year, already ordered the fat spokes from Ind_Chuckz!

Luke.
Well if I'm ever going to build that bronco bike, I'm going to have to be able to lace. I'm also finding it hard to source the wheel I really want sometimes. So I'm going to have to build them.

Carl.

I'm already winging it... spoke calculator said 261.4 and I found some 260 take offs on eBay in black cheap so you know I ordered them...

Carl.

Last edited:
GC--way to go on the wheel lacing. You will be good at it eventually. It may take a wheel or two, but it becomes 2nd nature after awhile. Looks like you have already torn apart the wheel, so now you are in new territory of a total re-build.
Be ready to walk away when you get frustrated, and have another wheel with the same pattern and spoke number handy for reference. My tips..... 1st I drop the spokes (every other hole) from the outside-in through one side of the hub, then attach the nips loosely at the rim every 4 holes over all the way around. Do the other side of the hub next. You are 1/2 way there! Then drop the remaining spokes inside-out through the every-other open spoke holes in the hub flange. This allows for easy maneuvering of the spokes around and crossing over the other spokes when getting to the proper rim hole. When done, you have a loose wobbly mess. Put it in the truing stand and hand tighten every spoke by HAND until the rim runs reasonably true. This is really important. From here, it's 1/2 turn(nips) at a time until you get the tension up and the rim running straight. High spots, or "bumps" are another wheel building skill that takes time to get rid of. This is another chapter!:headbang:

Latest posts

Back