(WBO) Bhuzzard

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black shouldn't be too hard to find...
aquarium/pool filter, furnace filter, scruffy sanding pads...
I'd use eBay for searching for examples,
better than an old Sears catalog for daydreaming.

Carl.

Those plastic air filters look cheap and nasty,I found a cheap stainless steel icing sugar tin,identical to that.Just not at that stage yet,also purchased a glass fuel filter.Something tells me you will do the same RM.:grin:
But looks perfect:thumbsup:

Thanks fellows.

Back to the air filter. It's pretty much done except for a couple of screws to hold the cover on. I didn't like the first idea of using a shower drain cover because it started looking like a lawn mower muffler, so I bought a cheap Kitchen sink strainer and cut the screen out of it. It had the basic shape and all I had to do was reshape it a little and add a couple of dents to knock the new off of it. I also soaked it in some muriatic acid to take the shine off of the stainless screen. I used a torch and burned the paint off of the housing which left a nice bare metal finish.

I've been looking for some filter material to stuff inside of it like lawn mowers use, but so far all that I've seen is green. I'd like to find some black or grey. Any ideas?
What about the material used in crank case breathers mounted on old cars valve covers?
Here it is, two dollars later...
100_8976_zpsd8iyqoyz.jpg

Here's the thrift store candle holder that I started with...
100_8744_zpsa7sizznf.jpg

This is the plastic cover that came with the kit...
Air_Filter_Assembly_Speed_Carb_Bike_Engine_Kit__35785.1408626995.900.900.jpg
What about the material used on old car crank case breathers mounted on the valve cover? It is a knitted-mesh material. http://www.knitted-mesh.com/images/products/knitted-mesh-filter4.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the Morrow Blackout hub won't make the cut.:( After tearing into it, the brake shoes are in pretty bad shape.
100_8987_zpstr9r8spo.jpg

Being that this is a motorized bike, good brakes are critical. I haven't been able to run down a new replacement part, so I've decided to go with another wheel that has a Bendix Red Band hub that stops great. It also has good spokes and a drop center rim that will match the front so I won't have to do any relacing. All it needs is taken apart, cleaned and fresh grease.

The Morrow will also get cleaned and rebuilt anyway. It probably still has some life left for a low speed cruiser.

The tires are mounted and it's sitting on the ground. I've been waiting for this to be able to dial in the fender braces. I had everything as close as possible before, but now that it's sitting on it's own, I used a laser level to take any guessing out of the equation. I love using that thing and the best part is that I only gave $10 for it at a flea market!:)

100_8996_zpsi7p6nujy.jpg

I'm amazed by how much work this rear fender has been but I'm finally in the short rows. Today was spent notching out for the drive chain. I don't like the way it looks to simply cut the fender out for a chain so I've been thinking about how I would do this to match the pedal side and here's my solution:

I was a little uncertain if this would work, so I tested it on another junk fender first. After I built up my confidence, I first cut the same amount as the chain side with sheet metal cutting shears. Then I took a couple of scrap pieces of heavy gauge steel and made a buck that I bolted over the fender to give me a uniform curved break. I put the buck (with the fender in it) in my vice and pulled & hammered it into shape. This doesn't look like much, but it took a few of hours counting driving across town to use my friend's band saw to make the buck.:13:

Fender%20buck_zpspvkht5yp.jpg

I'm very happy with the results!
100_9008_zpspjaliwkm.jpg

Love the laser level. I almost bought one, but my aquarium wasn't big enough.

rhu.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back