WBO 2017 Jan 1st to April 1st: ANYTHING GOES INCLUDING BUILDS ALREADY STARTED!---GO!---

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it time yet? itching to go.
PDogScratchingAni.gif

My problem is I always want to start something new, even though I never seem to complete what Im already working on. I have an idea that will have everyone's eyes popping, but without someone to weld a frame extension for me (cause no one has time to do it apparently) I'm dead in the water with what I ALREADY have waiting to be completed.

Same dilema. I have at least 5 good builds. Simple yet diliberate. Now I need to chose my entry.... Cuz Im gonna finish all of them by April.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

What time zone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What time zone?

Yes I think it's US Central Time, but I've been naughty and started my build thread early.

You see, I'm in New Zealand and it's been the 1st of January for 16 and a half hours already. I saw the new WBO 2017 forum was up and just went and started my thread without thinking or checking the countdown clock...

https://countingdownto.com/countdown/rrb-wbo-2017-start-01-january-2017-countdown-clock
https://countingdownto.com/countdown/rrb-wbo-2017-start-01-january-2017-countdown-clock
I know I've been naughty and I apologise profusely.

:whistle:

Glen.

That is a ridiculously cool bike! It's nice to see it in motion. What does it weigh?
Never actually weighed it, but I did weigh the wheels and frame as I went and pretty sure the total would be around the 150lbs mark.
Heavy bike, but 7 speeds and low gearing meant riding up hills was easier than expected.

This is a great idea, I have four unfinished if I don't count the
Indian I am making a fake engine for! You got me but will be
waiting for a cooler day, she been a roasting out in the Tasman
Sea the last couple of days! Any rain coming from you chaps
further west?

This is a great idea, I have four unfinished if I don't count the
Indian I am making a fake engine for! You got me but will be
waiting for a cooler day, she been a roasting out in the Tasman
Sea the last couple of days! Any rain coming from you chaps
further west?
We have had some monster storms the last week or so down here, but I doubt they will get to you, they were heading more towards Tassie.

Looking forward to seeing your builds Pirate!

I'm going to suggest/ask we do this type of build off again
down the track. Seems many have incomplete or started but
not finished builds "can we go Dad can we please, I'll be good
I promise!"

Thanks, PP..........

Last edited:
I'm going to suggest/ask we do this type of build off again
down the track. Seems many have incomplete or started but
not finished builds "can we go Dad can we please, I'll be good
I promise!"

Thanks, PP..........
Seeing the response so far, it just might! The BO is going crazy! 33 builds up and going in one day!

Seeing the response so far, it just might! The BO is going crazy! 33 builds up and going in one day!
You guys make me crazy! With all this great builds going on, my fingers start itching to get to building too.... But there's no time and money left for a build right now..... :(

When does BO12 start?:blush: I've allready written down my parts list and will soon throw some first bits into the project box...:whistle:

VistatopProfile.jpg
VistaMACRO.jpg
T
hink I'll go 'build up' instead of build off this time. Last two I did were a lot of cutting, welding, smoothing..etc, and although tons O' fun...took too much of my time from other things.

BUT, having said that..I am going to rehab an old-er 3 spd, touring bike...Vista..that is a rusted relic that I "started
cleaning up well over a year ago, then discarded, and banished it to the back of Old Shed #2
Hopefully, it will not only restore this grand old bike to most of it's former glory on a dime and a ton of elbow grease and raw fingers, , but perhaps someone will benefit from what I've learned about cleaning up...rehabbing...refurbishing, if you will...it is NOT a high dollar restoration, there's other sites for that, this is for do it yourselfers and reg'lar guys...lol...I don't have money for high ticket stuff like chroming, and ordering top of the line spokes..If I can't grab a part off of an older donor laying around, then I'll make it..... But I research cleaning products as much as I do bike stuff...well, not really...but almost. :happy:

Still, it will be a lot of work...4 layers of house-paint to remove, a Sturmey Archer 3spd rear that I have no clue if it needs rebuilding or not.Stripping , repainting, bearings? I think these fell out in a rusted fast cage when I cracked upen the bottom a year ago.....had to cut off chain and one tire...you know the drill...

I love seeing an old lawn ornament morph into a usable , ridable, and perhaps even a very lovely bicycle.
franco :)

Last edited:
You guys make me crazy! With all this great builds going on, my fingers start itching to get to building too.... But there's no time and money left for a build right now..... :(

When does BO12 start?:blush: I've allready written down my parts list and will soon throw some first bits into the project box...:whistle:
Usually May 1 to August 1...
View attachment 41498 View attachment 41499 Think I'll go 'build up' instead of build off this time. Last two I did were a lot of cutting, welding, smoothing..etc, and although tons O' fun...took too much of my time from other things.

BUT, having said that..I am going to rehab an old-er 3 spd, touring bike...Vista..that is a rusted relic that I "started
cleaning up well over a year ago, then discarded, and banished it to the back of Old Shed #2
Hopefully, it will not only restore this grand old bike to most of it's former glory on a dime and a ton of elbow grease and raw fingers, , but perhaps someone will benefit from what I've learned about cleaning up...rehabbing...refurbishing, if you will...it is NOT a restoration...I don't have money for stuff like that. But I research cleaning products as much as I do bike stuff...well, almost. :happy:

Still, it will be a lot of work...4 layers of house-paint to remove, a Sturmey Archer 3spd rear that I have no clue if it needs rebuilding or not.Stripping , repainting, bearings? I think these fell out in a rusted fast cage when I cracked upen the bottom a year ago.....had to cut off chain and one tire...you know the drill...

I love seeing an old lawn ornament morph into a usable , ridable, and perhaps even a very lovely bicycle.
franco :)
Looking forward to the build thread Franco!

Slight change to the rules to make it a bit clearer:

1: Start a build thread in the new forum that will open up on the day and post your progress there as it happens.
2: Must be human powered. (Can have motor as well.)
3: Build cannot be finished at the time of the first post. (We want to see some progress happen!)
4: Must be in the finished area by the deadline to be eligible for voting.
5: Riding photo or video if rideability is questionable.
6: You must have fun.
Are there any exceptions to the rules?
72e0d17b22ffd2b4558dc795d5e7ba70.jpg

Yes, I like to think we're the kind of all inclusive site that wouldn't discriminate against our interstellar brethren and would welcome them to the contest with the understanding that they don't eat or take over the bodies of any of the earth population while here. Should be some interesting ideas!

Latest posts

Back