(WBO) 2015 Winter Build Off Entry: "Switch-a-roo" by Gig Mata

Discussion in 'WINTER 2015 BUILD OFF' started by gigmata, Jan 15, 2015.

1. gigmata

gigmata

[​IMG]

I am in.

- by Gigmata

2. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

:21:

Nice start! :thumbsup:

Luke.

gigmata and jats like this.
  3. Big Ape

Big Ape

With your reputation........I will be watching!

gigmata and jats like this.
  4. gigmata

gigmata

I hope that I won't disappoint. Know anyone with a waterjet machine that can cut some aluminum?

5. Funkme

Funkme

Well it's a start... get to build-in...

gigmata likes this.
  6. gigmata

gigmata

Today I visited 3G Bikes (they are an advertiser to this site) and test rode a couple of their bikes. I got great service and learned a bit more about the products they have (which you can buy throught the ratrodbikes.com store on this site). I was drooling over the 3G forks. I want a set of those really really badly. I also wanted a set of those sweet checker board wheels which come as fat as 80mm. That is not as fat as me but it's pretty fat.

My 2015 WBO entry, "Switch-A-Roo" was born with a bit of a problem. I needed adjustable handlebars. Notice the past tense. One of the bikes I rode at 3G was sporting this puppy.

[​IMG]

I forgot to ask 3G's Gary Silva who came up with this idea. I don't know who to credit but my debit card. Thank you 3G. I also ordered a set of rims and tires through the ratrodbikes.com store which you can do too on this site.

I also spoke with a company that does anodizing. It turns out that anodizing is pretty cost effective and does a great job at protecting components and entire frames. Hmmm, what does that mean, hmmm? I also raided the island of misfit parts again to come up with a GT Rhythm front hub. It didn't sell on eBay. There might be a Deep 6 chain guard in "Switch-A-Roo's future if that thing doesn't move.

In a similar vein, I look at two houses (now I know where B.F.E. is) and one of those homes was situated in a picturesque setting with a lot of land. It had a horse stable that would make a very nice place to weld, grind, paint and polish. This same weekend I took 4 of my bikes to the studio for a photo shoot. It was a mixed blessing. Somebody turned off the power that I needed and I didn't know how to turn it back on. I left a couple of bikes there (they are locked away) so when I go back I can photograph them. I came home with 2 in my SUV. I walked into my apartment's kitchen which had no bikes in it for the first time in about 2 1/2 years. My living room hosted "Switch-A-Roo" parts and Bill's Elgin that I built for him. I wanted to Plasti-Dip the tank white and do a few other little things. It goes to him this coming weekend. My living room was larger than I remember it. It was strange seeing so much space again but in a good way. A friend called and offered me another job full-time or part-time. I will be going in on weekends, if we can work it out. That house in B.F.E. would suit me fine and since I don't have horses, I suppose I can consult a a contractor about how to make the stable a shop if I end up out there. If get that place I will post pictures. Maybe we can have a Room Addition Build-Off. More updates to come. Thanks for reading.
    -Gig

- by Gigmata

kingfish254 likes this.
  7. gigmata

gigmata

But wait...there's more. The postman dropped off some parts today. Yes, that is a Bakelite shift knob.[​IMG]

- by Gigmata

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  8. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

This is going to be cool!

Luke.

gigmata likes this.
  9. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

Those bars and number plate are awesome!

10. gigmata

gigmata

Thank you. The bars come from 3G. They may offer them in the Ratrodbikes.com store.

11. gigmata

gigmata

The plot thickens. As many of you know I have been saving for a house. I found a place and I am trying to buy it. My realtor told me I will likely need another $8K to $6K in funds. As a result, I am selling as many of my bikes as necessary to raise the dough. I've got half of it so I shouldn't have to sell but a few. I am still in the contest with "Switch-A-Roo" though. I won't be able to afford the .......' expensive forks I was salivating over but I have an alternative. I have nearly all the parts for "Switch-A-Roo" but there is a long way to go.

The house is a priority at the moment. Can you believe I am having trouble getting my realtor to take my offer and deposit check? I knew that house was out in the boondocks but I had no idea it was in Bizzaro world (Superman reference). Thanks.

-Gig

12. roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Family and home is always the priority. Hope everything works out for you. I had to excuse myself from building for 2 years until I got settled here.

gigmata likes this.
  13. gigmata

gigmata

Housing update: the realtor didn't need a check until my offer is accepted. Hopefully we hear something back soon.
    "Mint Julep" bike update: the mint green Felt I built will be featured in a TV show. I can't mention which one it is until is goes on air. The bike had a lot interest from the crew and the woman from the property department passed out my information. I hope that helps.

"Switch-A-Ru" news: The chainring and power disc arrived. The combo looks really good together. I already had the cranks and bearings. I am still on the lookout for a very special set of cranks. Hopefully they will turn up a few weeks prior to the build-off's end and after the house is bought.

- by Gigmata

14. SoulGarageOH

SoulGarageOH

The Ol' Switch-a-roo

gigmata likes this.
  15. gigmata

gigmata

Just a brief update. I took the brakes apart so they could be anodized but I may go with hydraulic brakes in the same color. I also ordered the forks. I am out of my depth on them but the house I wanted may go to a higher bidder so I squeezed a bit out of my budget for the mystery forks. I got the exact seat I wanted which was a plus. I also found an even cooler fender and bought it from a forum member. It's perfect but it wasn't cheap and it wasn't free but it was better than what I had originally invented. Unless I swap the brakes for hydraulic units I have all the parts for Switch-a-roo down to the last decal. I am now saving up for that powder coat. I am also saving up for another Felt aluminum tank frame for a future build-off. :)

Is there anyone in the Los Angeles area that can weld two disc brake tabs on steel forks? I need some help with that.
    -Gig

- by Gigmata

16. Funkme

Funkme

Sounds like it's full steam ahead here,any pics?

17. gigmata

gigmata

I ordered forks on 2/16 and they still aren't here. In fact UPS lost them and I bought a second pair which they actually had to build. Fortunately, they are some good guys and sent 2 forks my way but they used UPS again. I grit my teeth. The powder coater is ready for me. Tomorrow, I will be dropping off all the parts to be shot and some that are blast only so they can be anodized.

Switch-a-roo was a complete fully-functional bike but I hated the color. I could swear it was shot in the wrong shade of orange. The photo below is all the stuff that came off the bike and won't go back on.
    [​IMG]
    Above you'll find a rear rack, Noleen forks, suspension seat post, Felt Cafe seat, Felt cranks, Felt cross bars, and a pair of Quick Brick tires. Not even the brake levers will go back on. I have plans for the seat post butt the rest will hit my parts closet for something in the future.

Switch-a-roo started out as two bikes rolled into one but delays have killed that idea. What reared it's head is the most technologically advanced bike that I have ever built. Hydraulic disc brakes, Ziegler-Lam Supergear cranks, Osymetric chainrings, 8-Speed Sturmey-Archer hub, 3G adjustable handle bars and a completely unconventional number plate. As for tires, I am still contemplating the color. I had originally wanted aged brown tires so I sprung for a set of brown BOA-G tires and they look great but they are going into the parts closet as well. I had better hurry up and make up my mind. I only have 2 weeks left.

- by Gigmata

kingfish254 likes this.
  18. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Hurry, hurry, hurry!

Luke.

gigmata likes this.
  19. gigmata

gigmata

I didn't realize the forks would be threaded (I did not look at the photo on the website carefully. That really changes things for me but perhaps not for the worst. I had an idea that I thought I just would never be able to use but now maybe I can.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Due to a previously mentioned snafu with UPS I now have 3 of these forks. I need two. The 3rd will be sent back to the manufacturer.

- by Gigmata

kingfish254 likes this.
  20. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Cool forks! Who makes them?

Luke.