wards hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have ANY idea of the year.................. im not sure if the forks are original, but they are definatly bent, could probably be saved tho....... almost look home made hahahha. the frame has built in chain tensioners. im not sure the sprocket is original, im guessing NOT but i dont have a clue......... rear rim is TACOED, and the front is ok i guess......... nothing else looks original. unless you guys say its something spectacular that i dont know about, im gonna pass, it can be had for 50 plus some shipping....... thats what the guy wants and i dont think i want to pay that. (like i said, unless its something special) but id be more than happy to go pick it up and ship it to somebody. just under the area where the STRAIGHT bar meets the down tube, there is a rectangle piece of metal welded to the botom side of the down tube....... anybody know what thats for??

l_f8171f78882899b6afb597d7e227bdae.jpg

took this pic to show the shape of the forks........ i had never seen any like these before......

l_17a0319e93452354cbb655a734bb46e2.jpg

this is the overall bike.......... MAYBE the seat post is orig, i dont think so tho...... frame and fork are probably all anyone would want from this thing......... ill take it apart and ship whats wanted to save on cost...... just an offer.

it a pre ww2 bike. the crank is probably the original the chain ring isnt. try to find a serial# if its local and check on oldroads.com itll tell you exactly what year but yeah.......the only thing really that look usable are the fram,crank and(original it is....)seat post. stem also looks to be original too

that seat post has a 90 deg bend in it at the top......... you think that stem is orig??? lol, im not going back out there to get a sn......... its DEEP....lol way up in the woods..... id go to pick it up but thats about it. so pre ww2 huh? the old man said a kid put it all back together..... or just TOGETHER id say, and tried to JUMP it over something....... thats why the forks are bend and the rear rim .......

yup seat posts on most 30's bikes were bent like that(at a 90) and yah the neck looks to be a prewar also(the bolts on the top and threads into itself right? (not into a nut) like this...........
http://cgi.ebay.com/Prewar-Wald-Bicycle ... dZViewItem
for 50 its okay..maybe alittle on the high side price wise(tell him keep everything but the cranks,stem and seat post and give it to you for 30 :wink: (who knows.....he might!)

lol, yeah, that neck looks to be the same as whats on it...... wow. so a buddie of mine is buyin a 64 lincoln cont. from this guy........ i was thinkin about going with him when he picks it up with a nice crisp twenty........ take it or leave it hahhahahha.

If that frame is all in-tact, get it! Tell him all you want is the frame, he won't want to take it apart. Offer $40? Let me know if you need info on it, I can offer more. I have a couple of old Hawthornes, one is all original.

Nice find. Your bike looks to be late 30's. Not like I'm an expert, but the neck and the set screws in the rear drop-outs eem to point that way. Here's one of my finds:
hawthorne.jpg

Similar neck and drop-outs (minus mine has stand tabs). As far as I can tell, mine's a 1937 Hawthorne. Alot of perusing old catalogs got me here. Got similar Shelby and Roadmaster too. Can't stop the "prewar" fixation now though... Lookout...

No Talent Clown said:
...love that back rim. How do you suppose you could do that? Without sustaining major injuries?... sheesh...

lol, the old man said a kid put that bike all backtogether and tried to jump it off something, thats how the rim and forks got bent......... I LOVE THE SHAPE OF THAT FRAME ON YOUR BIKE........ that thing is sweet!!!!

Latest posts

Back