• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED: Western Flyer TANK for 24" early '50's

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hello RRB'rs !

Please help me complete this 24" Western Flyer Cream Puff !!

Need a TANK to fit this ........ HORN or NO horn....... any color / condition flexible .........

Please reply here or PM me......... Thank you! CCR Dave
W.F. 24 PIC 1.jpg
W.F. 24 PIC 2.jpg

I'm still on the hunt for this Tank !! Nobody out there has 1 available ??

How about a PICTURE of 1 so that I know what I need to be looking for so that I can Dream & Drool ?? Really appreciate some help!
Thank you! CCR Dave

Might help to mention that it is a "Huffman" make (later Huffy).
So, a Huffy 24" (fits-sooner) might [edit not] match, as well as many others, from ~1949 to about 1958 or so. For example, Belknap "Blue Grass" model.
upload_2018-4-21_14-42-3.png

Above is a picture of a tank (half) for a bike with 26" wheels; it is about 21" long.
A tank for a bike with 24" wheels might be smaller?

Last edited:
Oh, wait. Huffman also made a tank-less Promotional (Mainliner) or Competitive (Western Flyer) models.
upload_2018-4-21_14-53-48.png
<26>
upload_2018-4-21_14-59-54.png

On those frames, the lower top tube did not attach to the upper top tube.
I am not sure if that was the "old" design, or if a tank was ever made for it.
See the 1" gap between the two tubes, where they meet the seat tube.
upload_2018-4-21_14-58-24.png

upload_2018-4-21_15-2-21.png

I think your bike looks complete and fine - without a tank or other extraneous.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies!
@nosferatu1381 @joel.romeo.79 @rrtbike
What makes this frame unique is the lower top tube starts about 4" from the head tube where it joins the down tube
None of the pictured examples above seems to have that design.
I'm thinking that you guys could be correct stating there might never have been a Tank option on this frame. Thanks again for the help offered and the old catalogs pics! CCR Dave

the lower top tube starts about 4" from the head tube where it joins the down tube
Exactly, that would be one way to eye-ball photos to determine that a frame is a youths/teens or juvenile model. Usually the old ads and catalogs might portray the deluxe models, and usually the full-size versions at that.
http://www.nostalgic.net/1948-huffman-catalog
upload_2018-4-25_10-17-1.png

Above is the more typical design, with fairly straight and horizontal 2nd bar, that plunges downward about 1/2" as it meets the down tube, characteristic of the fits-sooner frame.
Could be that old George Pepperdine (University) of Western Auto did not care for the looks of the frame design, when a tank was not installed.
Not sure if another picture same as your bike frame would add information.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back