Walmart 32" review

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Walmart 32" review

Took another longer road trip today and found orange, green, blue and white ones. They were hanging in the back storage room. One of the clerks was nice enough to get a couple down and bring them out for me to look at, green and orange, otherwise not much helpful. The lime green is somewhat metallic. The orange was a bit towards the red side. Ended up hauling the green one home. I had to use one the adapter bars to get to hang on and fit my carrier. Probably not going to fit my pickup bed carrier.
The decals are over the finish so removable, nice finish. The rear hub is a KT. The tires measure 32". The cranks are low quality. Pedals aren't to bad, I had the same ones come on a bike shop major brand bike. Quick release seat clamp. Bar are big will probably change them out, grips OK. Fenders fit well. Wheels are real true at this point.
It
3e5edara.jpg
isn't a bike that I will ride long distances on, I see it as a unique fun bike. I might even get a clown suit to go with as previous posts have referred to it as a clown bike. I will be watching to see if the some more of the industry picks up on the 32" tire size. If fenders were removed there is clearance for a wider tire. I have some ideas churning around for the next RRBBO.

This AM I did some adjustments. Found out the fork, fenders and braces, chainguard are steel and supplement the aluminum frame. After adjusting the bars aren't to bad. One grip was on crooked. Crank arm must be cast iron.
I discovered one issue with adjusting the saddle to level it. The socket hex bolt came stripped, so no adjustment is possible without drilling out the head and replacing the bolt. Tweaked the chain guard as it was rubbing on the crank.
As a first experience at buying a Walmart bike, I've had much better LBS experiences. Guess you pay for what you get. It is a unique bike though.

Wildcat said:
The noise is a constant grinding only when the pedals are moved. I tore the whole bike down and checked the guts, they look good, the only thing with enough grease was the rear hub. The other bearings all needed some lube.

My green one had a grinding noise and i traced it down to the right crank arm rubbing on the round trim ring of the chain guard. A bit of tweaking the ring position solved the problem.

Took a shakedown ride on Thursday and found the bike didn't pedal too well into the wind. I change out the rear 16 tooth cog for a 19T today and it pedals easier into wind and uphill. Of course the larger cog required some chain adjustment. I also discovered that the brake arm clamp bolt was stripped and difficult to remove. If I find my 20T may put it on. I also cut off the stripped seat post adjusting bolt mentioned in previous post. Going to hardware store for replacement bolt.
These 32" tires are big...I have never purchased a Walmart bike before, and a sorta bitter-sweet experience so far. Almost afraid to remove anything else.
I ordered a spare tube from Kent as they didn't show up on Walmart's site.
ede2y2e8.jpg

The tire tread isn't the best for rolling resistance, I added an extra 5 psi over the max to each and it rode much better.

Holy bottom bracket Batman! 32"? Thats CRAZY! Is there any kind of ISO numbers on the tires or rims? ISO is short name for International Standards Organization, Its based on the metric system.
Ok the fallowing might not make sense at first, and most people tell me i'm stupid or think I don't know what the fudge I'm talking about, but I'm trying to help ya out.
There are two sizes that I know of that are bigger than the 622mm/700c/28/29r (I know 4 numbers. but they are all the same size/diameter) There is only two wheel sizes I know of that are taller than 700c/29r and one is the 27"/630mm. Came on all them English 3speeds and 80's-90's touring bikes- (I know.How is 27 biger than 29r?) And then There is the Mother of them all the other 28er/635mm.I don't think I have ever seen a wheel this size before, or even think you can get tires or rims this size in the USA.
Anyways There should be an ISO number some where either maybe on the rim, but most likly on the tire it self. It very well be just a 700c/29r marketed as a 32". Well anyways here is a link to a sizing chart, most likly if its the 630mm or smaller Maxxis or Schwalbe will have some tires to fit. let me know what you find on the tire, and I hope this helps. Again let me know what you come up with!

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

I tried to put 700c wheels on my old Raleigh, they were smaller in diameter than the original 27" wheels.

Looking at the sizing chart, there isn't anything anywhere near as big as these 32", except the Coker 36" which are the biggest. So, replacing tires will be a problem unless these big wheels catch on and there's a good market for them.

I'm this close to getting another one, a blue one this time.

Glad Genesis dropped the Top Tube on this one.....at 5'7" with a 31" inseam, my Onex 29 was right at "dangerous" during stops. I've since sold it to a 6'2" owner. The tiny little import brake hubs used by most Department Store Bike Companies, are waaaay too small for 26" wheels...add the extra "flywheel effect" of 29s, 32s and the extra 48 spokes, and the problem gets worse.....!!!!!

Maybe, That is why some people say that they have Girls and Boys bikes wrong. Some say Boys should have the lowered bar and Girls have the Higher Bar.

skuuter said:
Glad Genesis dropped the Top Tube on this one.....at 5'7" with a 31" inseam, my Onex 29 was right at "dangerous" during stops. I've since sold it to a 6'2" owner. The tiny little import brake hubs used by most Department Store Bike Companies, are waaaay too small for 26" wheels...add the extra "flywheel effect" of 29s, 32s and the extra 48 spokes, and the problem gets worse.....!!!!!

Since these cost $200 new, what's a decent used price? They're showing up on CL and some I've seen haven't been ridden much because they're too big.

I was looking at YouTube videos of them and ran across this crazy bike with 36" wheels. I've seen the Coker Monster Cruiser but this is just strange.

36er1-402x300.jpg

http://www.innercitybikes.com/

I have a white one,its a great rider on any surface and its a perfect fit for me but the 16T rear sprocket is a killer for my old (age 52) bones on hills.I just recieved a 22T rear sprocket and will have it installed tomorrow with the longer chain.I figured (mathematically speaking) this should give me nearly identical gearing to my 26" schwinn with a 46T/22T sprocket configuration.

In my line of work, I get into a lot of back yards, and low and behold. There was 2 sets of the 32 inch wheel sets..... I didn't catch the owner at home that day to ask whats up. Maybe some day.

The 22T was the ticket,it glides easily like my Schwinn.I cant wait for the snow to go away.

im thinkin those would make a sweet burrito!! :shock:
youd be sittin lower that the height of the tire. hmmmmmmm :wink:

Just picked one of these 32" bikes up. was admiring them before Christmas hoping for a price drop over the holiday no luck,they had a bunch of them, like 15 so i figured they would be cheaper after the holiday's, still 200.00. So went tonight hoping they would have dropped the price still no luck, and only 3 left. so picked it up.have yet to ride it, I'm surprised no one has kustomed one out yet?..lol.. Will tear mine down and grease everything up as suggested. hope to make this my daily rider. Hope to see some threads on here in the future of some kustom one's!...

Tires and tubes available from Kent Industries. I've done a few modifications.
rupyryzy.jpg
upu6a5a8.jpg

Pricy, yeah, but the wheel set was $350, for a 3 speed, and the difference in that few inches is dramatic. I'm not a fan of either frame, they're both ugly, that's why I bought the 36" wheels, I'll build a frame!

Latest posts

Back