Walmart 32" review

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw these for the first time , right here on RRB , not long after buying my first Onex bike . I have seen them in store and even attened a test ride event put on by genbikes.com at a local Wal-Mart where I came in second in a contest for riding in your bike from the longest distance, the prize was a white Super 32 . The winner was a dude in Lance Armstrong suit who had ridden in on a 700c road bike Who seemed to look down his nose at all things beach cruiser and single speed. I have been watching local craigslist regiously and have yet to see one even listed much less at any kind of bargin . Cruiser bikes seldom pop up locally on craigslist and if they are cheap sell quick. I missed out on a Felt with springer front end for $100 , it couldn't have been more than 15 minutes old . But there is a Del Rio bike advertised at $125 right now . Wal-Mart down the street has a few for $99 . I guess my only option is to order from walmart.com amd get me a blue one.

I did have the opprutinity last mont to buy one from a local who knew I am into bikes for only 20$ , but I figured out it was stolen so I called the cops instead . I was correct in my assumption, dude went to jail . Yet out there somewhere someone is riding my original Onex 29er.

It's always a great day when a bike thief is caught. I had thought more of these would show up on CL because of the ridability they usually have straight from the store. My chain was way too tight and everything needed grease except the rear hub, it only needed adjusted.

Yes the pricing on this is odd - I think depending on region different colors are priced differently.

Here in Florida the white is $154, and the red is like $208..... odd.

I have the onyx 29er converted to banana seat w/ sissy bar and 13" rise apehangers, and I just grabbed the White 32 (arrives Tuesday) and will be putting extra padded banana seat and sissybar on that one also....

These are light for the size because they are aluminum - frame is nice, rest is "you get what you pay for" but they ride nice as stock.

Great for modding out or they look pretty mean as is if you sit next to a 26" road bike...

here is the onyx (onex) modded w/ banana/sissy/low apehanger

GUYS/GALS DON'T SLEEP ON THE CHOPPER POSSIBILITIES COMING FROM 32" to 29" to 26" - 32" back and 26" front for instance and use a banana seat and apehangers to offset the down angle - chopper.... I might toy with this and send pics...

579609_10151537585318053_2118098196_n.jpg

I'd just buy the cheapest color and strip it down and paint it. Flat black or bare metal would look sweet.

Wildcat said:
Thanks, I agree on the clicking sound the SA makes, my 53 CWC has one. This bike will stay a one speed though, probably can't find a 48 spoke 3 speed hub, or even a 2 speed auto. The more I look at this bike, the more it needs to be painted and ratted out. I'm thinking Navy Aviation themed. I still have a build off tandem to finish yet.

Hi I have a genesis 32" shipping here on Wednesday this week - will be adding apehangers and banana seat and will send pics soon - I have to wait until the bike gets here and fit the banana seat first so I know what size apehangers to get..... more soon...

I see mention of clicking noise - my onyx 29er has that clicking noise too - I haven't isolated it to the rear hub or crank yet - I feel it while pedaling but haven't investigated yet. Hoping 32 won't have it.

Explanation / review of 32" under pics...

1272716_10151578574843053_541994040_o.jpg

1244450_10151578574063053_1186713426_o.jpg

What I learned yesterday while building out the 32" (shipped to home) - original intention was to put a highback sissy bar and banana seat and 16" rise apehangers (similar to the black 29er i have in other posts...):

1. A normal 26" size banana seat looks really small and ridiculous - I could have made it work using an offset seatpost but the size of the bike swallows the banana seat and didn't look or fit or feel right - Banana would look great but it would need to be a custom big size - really big....

2. 16" rise apehangers still had somewhat of a forward lean feel when combined with a big Serfas XL gel seat, so I put on some 25" rise apehangers instead - because the bike is so big, the 25" apehangers actually look 'right' in size.... AND THEY FEEL FREAKING AWESOME TO RIDE - Just by changing to the high apehangers it brings posture up and makes it ride more like a beach cruiser and less than an urban cruiser...

3. They designed the 32" almost as a hybrid beach cruiser/urban cruiser - the stance feels and rides like a road bike as shipped. I would highly recommend getting a 27.2 offset seat post to move the seat back a little, and the high apehangers are a must if you want it too feel more laid back cruiser style... Stock it feels more like an urban/road bike...

4. Stickers were easy to strip - I did with fingernail...

5. didn't have the crank click issue my 29" has and that I see others reporting also (it seems some of the 29ers shipped with bottom bracket click issues) - the crank was smooth and quiet on this 32"

6. How it rides - someone mentioned in earlier post that they didn't like the gear ratio - it is geared low. BUT I actually liked this (when paired with high apehangers), because it makes it a dream to stand and pedal. So I found that the tradeoff of the nice "fly wheel momentum" experienced at cruising speeds (meaning that since it's geared low, once you have momentum it almost rides itself) was to stand when taking off or going uphill - I was able to actually accelerate up hill while standing - kind of feels like you are a rickshaw driver with no passengers or cart if that makes sense... oh I'm 6'1 210 lbs.... I have the seat as low as it can go, and I touch the ground tippy toes - I feel like a kid, I'm not kidding I had flashbacks of riding as a kid i felt so small, and it was so easy to ride standing I felt like a kid on a bmx. Oddly enough, for as big as it is, because it's light, I was still able to pop a wheely for a second with the high ape hangers....

7. It was a dream to ride - I'm used to the comfort of the lowered/stretch ratrod in the pic, with feet forward, and that I can ride comfortably for 3 hours... This felt as comfortable, but faster....

8. It is reallllllllllyyyyyyy high, but doesn't feel odd riding - it's all to scale so it just feels right, like I've heard others say, "finally a good inexpensive bike that fits us 6ft + dudes"

That's all I can think of right now - I'm most likely going to sell the 29er after I address the bottom bracket clicking - the 29er felt ok but the 32" is the big I was looking for and I don't need both........

I'm worried that it's like cell phones - if I buy the 32" multi-speed they will come out with a 34" single-speed ha.... Went from to 29 to 32 to 32 multi-speed in the last month...

I do wish they would do a 3-speed where the shifters aren't on the handlebars, and it's a coaster brake - keep it simple to mod and change handlebars without having to deal with caliper brake and shifter cables etc... (lazy I know...)...

Latest posts

Back