Walmart 32" review

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
They had two, a green and red one. I took it for a ride around the store and the wife said go ahead and buy it. It rides well, but I'm going to tear it down to see if has grease where it needs it and to check the adjustment of everything.

25qci0y.jpg

Ha!

Didn't realize they had these....need to keep up with the thread I started. :lol:

Looks like fun. :wink:

looks pretty smooth for a wally bike... as long as it rides smooth thats all that matters looks nice

Rat Rod said:
Where do you buy replacement 32" tires from?

WALMART ... you just replace the bike :wink:

Honestly ... That was my first thought too when they started showing up.

I wonder if any of those wheelsets will show up in BO8?
Kind of surprised that we haven't seen any ONYX wheels in BO7.

We really need some photos with you next to the bike and on it.
Otherwise it's just another bike.
I really want to get a judge on the scale of this beast.

I'll post a pic of one of my 26" bikes next to it later. With 32 inch tires, there's less wear on the tire, because it goes farther on one rotation. Almost 20 inches farther than a 26" tire, so they shouldn't need replaced for a few years. Both sprockets are tiny and it gives just the right ratio. They have the same crappy tread pattern as the ONYX 29's, I'd rather have a smooth thread. They are walmart bikes, so I figure broken ones will be going cheap or picked up on trash day before too long. That's why I'm going over the whole bike to get as much mileage as I can get out of it.

I didn't think the wife would go for it. I was just enjoying the ride around walmart, and with my foot still recovering from surgery, I didn't mind a bit. She seldomly says yes to things I don't need, so I bought it. Also, the coaster brakes are poor, maybe lubing the hub will help, but I think it's the size of the hubshell for that size wheel, it may be too small.

It would be a sweet bike if you were to lace in a 5 speed drum brake hub like many of the Schwinn Tandems had, make a springer front fork, and put on some mini ape hanger bars. 8)

It was getting dark and the flash isn't that good, but this was earlier, with a standard 26" wheel. The wheels on the 32 have 48 spokes.

2l97fph.jpg

The rear hub makes a slight clicking noise when pedaling, like sometrhing is contacting another part while turning. I was given a wheel a few years ago, brand new, that made that same noise. We tore it apart and couldn't find anything wrong, all the parts looked perfect. Anyone know what is making that noise? It may not hurt anything, but I like it right. It's in the rear hub, everything else has been checked.

As far as clicking goes, make sure it has plenty of grease, make sure the bearing cages are not bent, cones adjusted properly, and make sure there is no dirt or debris in it. That's why I love old Sturmey Archer hubs, they click normally.

Thanks, I agree on the clicking sound the SA makes, my 53 CWC has one. This bike will stay a one speed though, probably can't find a 48 spoke 3 speed hub, or even a 2 speed auto. The more I look at this bike, the more it needs to be painted and ratted out. I'm thinking Navy Aviation themed. I still have a build off tandem to finish yet.

how often is the noise (every wheel rotation / crank rotation / more than once a turn) ? does it happen coasting too or just pedaling ? had tons of noises from hand fulls of different causes. its usually from a dust cover rubbing the hub or a rear cog wiggle letting the chain tap a fender mount bolt most times but could be any number of things.

The noise is a constant grinding only when the pedals are moved. I tore the whole bike down and checked the guts, they look good, the only thing with enough grease was the rear hub. The other bearings all needed some lube.

The crank bearings had only a light film of grease.
f5bp21.jpg

The front wheel has loose bearings, hardly any lube, but they are oversized.
fk7bsi.jpg

Only the rear hub had a respectable amount of grease.
opcwmu.jpg

Headset also had just a touch of lube.
f55av6.jpg

This feels like a cool episode of CSI:RRB!

Yeah this is why with ANY bike I buy new or old I always tear it apart and lube everything. Walmart bikes are bad about having no grease on bearings and people wonder why they break in a year's time. :roll:

I've got it all back together, adjusted perfectly, and the noise is still there. It doesn't seem to slow the bike down so i'll just ride with the noise.

Latest posts

Back