Walker vs. Julesjunk Kids bike buildoff......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double Nickle said:
Ok ok ok y'all have my attention, I'll chime in on this build off. Let's see some mock ups.

Easy there, Dubby. You have to remember, these guys are old and require frequent naps between their Ensure and early bird specials.

udallcustombikes said:
Double Nickle said:
Ok ok ok y'all have my attention, I'll chime in on this build off. Let's see some mock ups.

Easy there, Dubby. You have to remember, these guys are old and require frequent naps between their Ensure and early bird specials.
Hahahahahhahahahahaha :lol:

Easy there, Dubby. You have to remember, these guys are old and require frequent naps between their Ensure and early bird specials.[/quote]

OLD! NAPS! Hey it's 11:00 pm eastern standard, where is everyone?[/size]

Just stripped down 2 kids bikes for the build (Actually i have to get a Buzz Lightyear bike running for Tucker and do this build off bike as well)

Took some pictures of some wheels to be put up for sale too, i guess if Udall was awake he might get first dibs on a pair of NOS chrome drop center's...Oh well. :wink:

Bought a 3" brass ships bell, I'm thinking I might mount it right off the headtube. Good thing i have no neighbors.

Springer is going to be leaf spring style if i can pull it off. I'll have to hit the scrap yard this weekend for the spring material, If i can find a curved armrest from a lawn chair or something like that it should come together pretty easy. I thinks.

Udall - Easy there, Dubby. You have to remember, these guys are old and require frequent naps between their Ensure and early bird specials.....

Please type louder Udall. My hearing no longer so good. And can you send it in larger font? You know, the eyes.

Now I'd love to send you some sage wisdom to guide you there youngin, but I've got to..... sssnnnnooooorrre...........

julesjunk said:
thatismytruck said:
I'm having a hard time deciding who to root for. I'm from New England but lived in KCMO for 4 years and is my adoptive home town.

Well root for the good guy, of course....... ME!

What brought you to KC?

Moved there to put Wife through school. She went to UMKC Law. We really like KCMO. I keep meaning to go visit my bud, who's on this forum as well, but things keep getting in the way.

Worked this up last night. I think the stripe is going to be wider and probably 2 tone (ornage & red) like the famous Daylight locomotive.

DSCN0156.jpg

Gonna ditch the springer idea as it's going to add too much weight up front.

DSCN0157.jpg

I've got these tires, which are borderline balooner's at 2-1/4" wide. Whels will be spoked and blacked out.

DSCN0158.jpg

Thought i could use that sprocket but i need something with fewer teeth.

Anyone got a 32hole Bendix rear hub? (is there such a thing?)

Springer

Springer Springs from Ace Hardware................. $3.68
12 pack of beer from local brewery...................$11.88
Sending the wife off with the Bean to shop all day .......... $$$$$$$ scared to ask.

Getting to work all day building a roadmaster springer for my daughters bike............... Priceless.

007-23.jpg

008-14.jpg

009-19.jpg

012-12.jpg

Civil wars have been fought in less time than it took me to build it, but I'm relatively happy with the outcome. Still need to clean up the welds, etc.

Walker,
I'm liking the look and your paint scheme. And I love the sprocket! For lack of a better term, it looks very Locomotivie .Hope you get to use it.....

thanks Jules, I think the strips need to be broader but it flows.

I got the wheels taken apart and painted one to see if the paint would stick, and it does.

trying to get my head around the shrouded front fender, it woudl be great to find an old tricycle fender but I've got no time to scour the north country, i'll have to make something

No progress yesterday, wife is gung ho to build the double pond water feature so i spent the afternoon moving rocks and moving dirt. And i was a little distracted last night cleaning 70 years of grime off a skiptooth mens Peerless i scored at a yardsale along with a 1964 Schwinn Camelion. Wait till you see the chrome on the Peerless wheels and cranks. It's going to take chemical warfare or sandblasting to get the 3 coats of housepaint off of it but other bits like the saddle and braced handlebars are in good shape.

Baby's crying, got to go!

Snuck an hour in today.
First pic is what's going on at the back end of the bike. More later.

019-5.jpg

Digging around, and came across these kids trike handlebars. Don't know where I got them. And have never seen this size diameter before?? I love bullhorn bars, so I've decided to use them, even though grips will be a problem.
First mockup. I'm stubborn in attempting to use existing parts. Bars really need to be pushed forward. Might end up doing so.
Took 2 inches out of the width. May shorten the grip area as well.

010-9.jpg

020-3.jpg

021-6.jpg

022-9.jpg

Managed a little work this afternoon. Nothing pic worthy. Finish welded the bars. As well as shifted the seat post back an inch and a half. Also decided on the name. "THE BUMBLEBEE" When I show what my wife picked up for the project, it will become apparent why I named it that.
Pics to follow early this week.

I managed to get the wheels painted, and the frame sanded. Not very exciting.

I also sectioned a pair of road bike handlebars for navigation duty.

Might get some welding and painting done tonight..

Haven't done diddley since my last post. Hoping to get a little bench time in come Sunday. One of my scrapper buddies dropped this off last night. If they fit, I've now upgraded the rubber.
If there's anything on this bike you can use, let me know. I may end up using the fenders, depending on fit. Other than that, it's fair game.

Looking forward to posting something of interest come Sunday night.

Regards,
Jules

001-35.jpg

002-23.jpg

got some bench time in last night. Roughed out the rear carrier/back seat and the training wheels. Hopefully, will get some more time in tomorrow.......

002-24.jpg

005-17.jpg

Latest posts

Back