VOTE HERE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vote for the bike you like

• Mini Machine

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Lil' Fat Rat

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Ross Barracuda "Gt"

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Daredevil

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • The Baby Deluxe

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • Clunker 20

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • PhantomBantam

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • 20 or Less

Votes: 42 30.2%
  • Bob Ross Little Happy Muscle Bike

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Uncle Scram

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Transformer

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • Frantic Lowrider

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Bean Burrito

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Rachaels Stingray

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Josie's Skate Trike

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how some of these bikes can be called ratrod bikes. As far as I'm concerned, a ratrod, whether a car, truck, or bike, has to be pre '63 with as many original or era appropriate parts as possible. Let me know how you feel about that.

ridered7603 said:
I'm not sure how some of these bikes can be called ratrod bikes. As far as I'm concerned, a ratrod, whether a car, truck, or bike, has to be pre '63 with as many original or era appropriate parts as possible. Let me know how you feel about that.
I feel I'm glad I don't expend much effort debating definitions. I would miss out on the good times and creativity that can be found here. Welcome and feel free to show us what ya' got! :p

ridered7603 said:
What do you got ? :p

RATROD-PLEASE KEEP THE VOTING OPEN!I'm sure there's alot of people who are waiting for the last minute to decide. Just my $0.02 :wink:
L8 EM

ridered7603 said:

I say pre '62........But some people say, pre 2009. It's all good!

TheFlyingDingo said:
SWEET!
1%!
ALLMOST WINNING!

I'm "kicking " your butt, Dingo! I gots 6% :D

hey ridered, dude how ya doin man? hey ya know, i don't remember ya positin a intro or gee did i miss something, i mean i know i am mostly blind an all. ya know around here we just build em how we like em an call em how we see em, but of course i am blind so i see everything the same way as its all blurry an looks rat to me. but ya know i would really like to see what ya got, bet its a rat ain't it? God Bless man

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Great builds guys and girl! I really enjoyed watching all these bikes come together.

I may try and enter something in the next build-off, but it will never top what you guys can do!

Dan

oh man not the whole what is a rat rod thing again. well for one thing if you are really into "rat rods" you get pissed when someone calls your car or truck that. to us into it our cars are real hot rods, we drive the piss out of them fix them and do it all over again. but there are blurred areas like the early 60's style kustoms with sweet metal flake, tons of pinstriping and such. are these rat rods? no not really but they are welcome at traditional shows. iduno i have seen a lot of old hot rod photos and i have never seen a car done with no floor sitting 1/2 an inch off the ground and the top so cut your head sticks out the top. actually to me those are not really all that traditional so here we come back to it "what is a rat rod?" IT IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT AS LONG AS IT IS NOT TRAILERED, NOT BILLET CLAD, 24" WHEEL BLAHHH BLAHH your good

A few month ago, we talked about the case of a full suspended mountain bike RRBBO project.

I wrote then "it's not a rat", I was young :roll: what you do is the most important. Rat rod bikes would be prewar bikes, custom bikes postwar bikes, a bit difficult, no????

We don't have strict rules cars have, so everything is possible, fun is the rule.

Everyone here seems to have a good spirit.

As we say in french "les gouts et couleurs...".

Let me believe my last toy is a rod... (the frame is a german Pimp Garage Streamliner, I love his Bluebird look)

2469650213_0670ef3d1a.jpg

Even on my Elgin Twinbar I have modern bearings, brand new kickstand :oops:

IMG_5274.jpg

i personally dont see a date to classify something a ratrod bike to me its a styling issue
because a 1980s canti schwinn frame looks like an early one at first glance
and the diamond frames look like real early bikes.
anytime you classify something as a style the rules get pushed and stretched but I really dont see an issue with that as long as the core reason we do this isnt changed :)
while a few of the bikes in the buildoff might not be considered "Rat Rods" they were all built with that same heart :)
maybe we should have a no paint/welding/new parts build off to appease the diehards :)

maybe we should have a no paint/welding/new parts build off to appease the diehards

My kids would be a little...disappointed if I was trying to give them a rusty bike.

My 8 years old son never used his 61 Schwinn Bantam and prefers his mountain bike (he also prefers orange juice to a great Bordeaux)

The skate trike and others finished bikes are nicer with clean paint job and certainly more desirable like that by kids.

Now we have purist rat rodders. :D
I really think of Rat Rod as no more than the name of this site and I guess the mentality of the people on it. Not as a definition of the bikes that we share here.

As for the build off I thought the name was Rat Rod Bikes Kids Bike Build Off meaning it was just sponsored by this website. I now see it was called a Rat Rod Kids Bike Build Off which I guess would insinuate they were meant to be rat rod kids bikes.

Will this age old debate ever end?

Maybe the first rule of Rat Rod Bikes should be don't talk about Rat Rod Bikes. :D

ridered7603 said:

yes in an ideal world it probley should be pre 62-63
and rusted to the point where you need a tetnis shot just to get close to it
but lets face it most old bikes have allready found their way
to the scrap yard way too many years ago
if it hasn't the current owner wants
an arm, leg, first and last born child also
on an occasion you might get lucky
and most of us(if we do get lucky)would rather leave it with the patina
if it's decent or do a full restoration
a lot of us work with what we got laying around :D
there are those of us that like doing the custom stuff :mrgreen:
like making a newer bike look like an old bike