Volo.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the second super curvy layer glued up today so I'm done gluing up the frame parts and I started shaping and assembling the top tube. I'm still working out details and finding glitches in my plans.
20190821_014743.jpg
20190821_014437.jpg
20190820_233607.jpg
Honestly it feels like a bit of a long shot that I could have a ridable bike by the deadline but I'll just keep plodding along.

I realized I needed to figure out my crank situation sooner rather than later and I'm pretty excited about what I came up with. I knew I wanted to use this sprocket but I didn't want to go with a one piece crank. This was one of those moments when I'm glad I don't throw much away. I have a box full of old cranks and I found one that was about the right shape and had a four bolt ring. This worked out so well it seemed like they were meant to go together. The sprocket center hole was the EXACT I.D. to self center on the new crank arm making locating it a breeze.
20190822_172400.jpg
20190822_175046.jpg
20190824_165242.jpg
20190824_170207.jpg
20190824_170154.jpg

Attachments

• 20190822_172400.jpg
    20190822_172400.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Not many would have seen so much potential in that ugly crank!
As always, I'm amazed by your craftsmanship and your eye for detail and possibilities!
Keep on working! We want to see the wooden Angel done!

Gesendet von meinem K00Y mit Tapatalk

Very cool adaptation of old and new. Worked out well.

Trying to machine aluminum with woodworking tools is pretty frustrating but progress is being made. I had to make a head tube and since I didn't have a lathe I used a laminate trimmer. By wrapping a bearing with tape I was able to remove just enough material to get a perfect fit on the cups.
20190824_230541.jpg
20190824_235245.jpg
20190824_235738.jpg

Last edited:
That crank turned out well. I wonder how stiff that will be with the BB suspended below the frame in the cradle brackets. Although the brackets are aluminum, and they look fairly thick, so probably nearly as strong as a thin walled double butted chromoly frame would be.

Head tube looks like a nice fit. Adhesion for the connection to the frame?

That crank turned out well. I wonder how stiff that will be with the BB suspended below the frame in the cradle brackets. Although the brackets are aluminum, and they look fairly thick, so probably nearly as strong as a thin walled double butted chromoly frame would be.

Head tube looks like a nice fit. Adhesion for the connection to the frame?
You're not seeing the whole structure because its not made yet but its not suspended, its going to be cradled between that middle beam and the lower beam with three brackets. I know its not going to ride like some 80's aluminum road bike but according to my my computer models its going to have a torsional rigidity of 3.7 Newton meters per square inch (JK).
Part of what slowed me down on this project was deciding how best to bond metal to wood. Thanks to miracle of highly toxic marine grade adhesives I've found a way to get such a powerful bond that attempting to separate the wood from the metal resulted in a twisted piece of metal and splinters of wood.

Latest posts

Back