Vintage Raleigh Sports 10 Speed - Age & Value

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
index.php

Can anyone help me with the year and value of this Raleigh Sports 10 Speed Bicycle? I was told by original owner that it's a 1971? Most of the information I am finding regarding this gold bike is for a 3 Speed but this is a 10 speed. Hoping to sell this bike once I have some more information. thanks!

I had a Hercules 10 speed, one of the early models, early 70's was my guess. Cottered cranks and Sturmey Archer wheels, all steel. In good condition. I tried to sell it for months for one hundred bucks. I finally let it go for 50 bucks. I can't tell from your pic, but it looks like cottered cranks and a Brooks saddle. Even if it's in great condition it depends on where you are selling it.
Here's a long read on the serial numbers.
http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html

I have a hard time getting $75.00 -on old Schwinns, of course they don't have the drum front hub. Maybe parting it out would make more money?

English three speeds go for free around here. No one wants them. It's sad. They are nice bikes. I have three for sale including a rate women's 24".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to take more pictures today and post them to give you a better look. This is a 10 Speed bike, not a 3 Speed. The 10 Speed part is stumping everyone. I have contacted Raleigh USA but they were unable to help me and I am going to email the UK this weekend, hoping someone can share some light on the bike. thanks

No .. its a Raleigh Sports .. I looked on Sheldon Brown site and didn't see the bike on there at all
My first thought was, if it's a sports, then someone most likely converted it to derailers from the Sturmey. However, I hit up google and found this thread on a different forum: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/retro-classic/dating-old-10-speed-raleigh-sports-model-70088.html
Looks to be the same color as yours, with the same GH6 dynohub as yours. Maybe they offered some derailer-equiped Sports prior to the Sprite's introduction? The front hub will have a date code, which will give you some hints but it is possible that Sturmey made the gh6 in one year, but Raleight didn't lace it into a wheel and put it on a bike until a few years later, but still... it's a lead.

I'd love to see some better pictures. Is it an ea3/590mm wheelset?

If the hubs are Sturmey-Archer maybe you can find a date on them.
Are the white fenders Bluemels-Popular? I had a Schwinn Le Tour Turist with these fenders. It was early 70's. I remember that a set of these fenders was on-line (e-bay) arround 80$

On the SA 10 speed wheels and hubs, I found no date. I did find some photos of the early Raleigh 10 speeds, using the same chain wheels and components as my Hercules. The Hercules was probably made at the same factory, just a little lower quality than the Raleigh.
wu1gn6.jpg

Latest posts

Back