VINTAGE MOUNTAIN BIKES

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the oldest Mountain Bike I ever owned, a 1981? Ritchey Annapurna.

I never got round to building it before I sold it on to a collector.

PICT0017.jpg

P3020017.jpg

My dad's 1984 Columbia Trailmaster ATC that I brought back to life after years of sitting in a carport - all original except the saddle and new tires. Sold this one recently to a friend at work.

dadsbike1.jpg

dadsbike2.jpg

1986 (?) or so Jamis Explorer. Found this one at the thrift store and cleaned it up - pretty decent entry level vintage chromoly MTB. I also just parted out a similar year large frame Jamis Cross Country that unfortunately wasn't in very good shape, and have a nice Tange chromoly Jamis Diablo from about the same era that needs some TLC to get it up and running.

jamiscleaned.jpg

jamiscleaned2.jpg

Here's a CL find from a couple of months ago... an early (approx 1980) chromoly SE Racing OM Flyer that was built into an 18 speed MTB at that time by the original owner. Some very cool old parts on this bike. I'm in the process of going through it to get it back into rider condition. The OG paint is kind of rough and there are a few rusty spots, but I'm holding off on refinishing it since these are pretty rare frames.

om_mtb_2.jpg

om_mtb_1.jpg

Not positive but pretty sure the LD is a Scott Nichol. The bars are WTB. Speaking of OG though..... I would love to come across one of his early steeds for the collection. Classic.

Thank you sir- I raced the Retro once, right aftervbuying it. Also broke the *beauty stays* as the builder called them- where the seat stays pass the seat tube, got it repaired and had it powder coated to kinda/sorta match my first bike, a purple Stingray. The lower head tube is just slightly sloppy(can almost press the cup in by hand)so she's retired from real off-road use.

Here's my vintage mountain bike 1980's ? Diamondback Accent. So far I have put some new tires on it, added a rack, and swapped the plastic peddles for a pair of diamondback caged peddles (look like knock off bear traps) I scored it last summer for $50 at a yard sale with another bike I flipped for $75 profit so I decided to keep this one. Later I plan to upgrade the shifters and possibly add some shortie fenders.
Morestuff005.jpg

Morestuff006.jpg

Morestuff007.jpg

Here's some more recent pictures of my vintage Diamondback mountain bike. So far I have swapped the peddles from plastic to a nicer set of caged aluminum peddles from a DB BMX bike for better grip and they look cool (they even say Diamondback on them), Swapped from the old cracking dry-rotted 1.95 gumwalls to a nice set of black smooth tread 2.125 Kenda tires, added the rack to keep mud and rain off my back, and a set of chrome bar ends just for fun. Also talk about a long way from home this bike still has the dealer sticker on it from Circle Cycle in Torrence, California! How it made it here to Indiana over 2,000 miles away I don't know. IMHO the best $50 I ever spent.
image-159_zpse5c67ce3.jpg

image-159_zpsfaa9ebbb.jpg

image-159_zps578005e2.jpg

Don't think I ever posted these up in here.

First, finally finished the 81:

And a father son project we did together:

Hey 41DX is that a Ritchey?Ive had this Fisher/Montair frame/fork that's been hangin on my garage wall for 3 years.Yours is exactly like what I picture mine would look like.Its got og red paint and og decals still intact and just picked up a set of bright silver ano Arayas and NOS Fisher gumwall knobbies.Anyways what I was getting at is your bike is RAD!!!

Latest posts

Back