VINTAGE MOUNTAIN BIKES

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
d.rock said:
I was in your same spot, I was going to rebuild my Schwinn World Sport as a single speed since I didn't know jack about deraileurs and such, but I learned a lot just from watching Youtube videos. Search for "how to adjust deraileurs" and a ton of videos will come up. I just took my time with the rebuild, got it cosmetically where I wanted it, and then at the end of the build the deraileurs were the only thing holding me back from finishing it.

There is also the option of going single speed, if your local terrain allows for it. I live near the beach so gears aren't a necessity.

I think I may go the single speed route with it.. I live in the mountains but our town is pretty flat. I see you are in Norfolk. My brother lives in VA Beach and works in Norfolk (aka Navy Nuke).

jaysix said:
I think I may go the single speed route with it.. I live in the mountains but our town is pretty flat. I see you are in Norfolk. My brother lives in VA Beach and works in Norfolk (aka Navy Nuke).
Yep, Navy here too, I'm an electronics tech on the USS Iwo Jima. What ship is your brother on? I've got a few nuke buddies, the schooling they go through is ridiculous!

SS to me seems like a simple way to still enjoy an old bike. Bikeforums.net has a fixed gear/singlespeed forum with a lot of good info, if you can cull through the hipsters.

d.rock said:
jaysix said:
Yep, Navy here too, I'm an electronics tech on the USS Iwo Jima. What ship is your brother on? I've got a few nuke buddies, the schooling they go through is ridiculous!

SS to me seems like a simple way to still enjoy an old bike. Bikeforums.net has a fixed gear/singlespeed forum with a lot of good info, if you can cull through the hipsters.

He is on the USS Norfolk I believe.

005-74.jpg

004-77.jpg

Ill interupt this sleeping thread with my specialized hardrock I dont know the year altough i could guess mid 80's I bought it to learn to ride weeks ago and now I know I got a special specialized :lol: Its cr-mo...completly cr-mo :!: exept for bolts there all nasty :x

DSC00192.jpg

DSC00175.jpg

Pretty nice colors flat dark green/yellow/black!!

wolfy said:
Ill interupt this sleeping thread with my specialized hardrock I dont know the year altough i could guess mid 80's I bought it to learn to ride weeks ago and now I know I got a special specialized :lol: Its cr-mo...completly cr-mo :!: exept for bolts there all nasty :x

DSC00192.jpg

Looks like yours is a mid 90's. Check out this 84' or 85' Specialized, confirmed by the dealer who sold them back in the day

S7303161.jpg

S7303162.jpg

S7303163.jpg

S7303164.jpg

S7303165.jpg

S7303166.jpg

S7303167.jpg

subadrew said:
1984 Diamon Back Trail Streak. likely gonna take the parts I need then off with the frame and smalls.

stumpjumperandthings001.jpg

Thats a nice bike, I'll take it and send you plenty of parts.

Sinner4 said:
wolfy said:

DSC00192.jpg

Looks like yours is a mid 90's. Check out this 84' or 85' Specialized, confirmed by the dealer who sold them back in the day

S7303161.jpg

S7303162.jpg

S7303163.jpg

S7303164.jpg

S7303165.jpg

S7303166.jpg

S7303167.jpg

thanks for the clue to year. I love the bars to yours

My daily rider '92 GF Hoo Koo E Koo with one off sunfaded paint job! Someone put gripshifters on it, so I am on the hunt for period correct trigger shifters.
6319e1f2.jpg

4bbae2a5.jpg

Here is a teaser of an old one for ya!
:p :p :p

IMG_0309.jpg

Fresh out of the carton and ready to restore...

41DX said:
Here is a teaser of an old one for ya!
:p :p :p

IMG_0309.jpg

Fresh out of the carton and ready to restore...

Wow, that fork! :shock: 8)

My line up of some vintage parts. Let me know if they anr't too vintage and I'll remove them.

Need Extra Spokes???

S7303853.jpg

S7303846.jpg

S7303845.jpg

S7303850.jpg

S7303849.jpg

S7303852.jpg

S7303854.jpg

Well heres an old I belive late 80's very early 90's Raleigh Tecnium MTB. It has Cromoly drop outs and crown but aluminum main tubes. 1n1/8th steer tube. Turns out they built these here in seattle, with a few built just for SPD!! It was on the bottom of a pile of bikes that was under a 5/6 year old over grown blackberry bush. here are some before pics!
DSCF0233.jpg

DSCF0234.jpg

DSCF0236.jpg

:cry: :cry: :cry:

AND NOW FOR THE AFTER SHOTS!!!!! :D :D :D Just so every one knows this was built for my sister. Its got the same shifters it came with, but I had to track down some "NEW" DEORE LX Derailures. I had some whinmenn rims layin around that I cleaned then painted before I laced them to some machined Joy tech hubs. Upgrade the brakes to some tecktro m16 vee brakes!! And them Schwalbe BIG apple tires ride as smooth as glass!!! 8)
DSCF0246.jpg

DSCF0247.jpg

DSCF0250.jpg

DSCF0251.jpg

Latest posts

Back