1. The forum software will be upgraded on Saturday (April 4). During this time the site may be down for a period of time to make the change. Thanks for your patience as we do the work!
    Dismiss Notice

VINTAGE MOUNTAIN BIKES

Discussion in 'KLUNKERS & MOUNTAIN BIKES' started by Rat Rod, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Beau

Beau

@41DX

I also had a Comp-Lite in the ano green too! Very nice bikes and handbuilt to aircraft specs in Minneasota!

2. LIVE TO RIDE

LIVE TO RIDE

Man the welds on that M16 sure are purdy!!Thats one really nice MB right there.

3. Metal Militia

Metal Militia

here's a 1989 diamondback i picked up last year. hard to see the neon pink and green in the pics. nice riding bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. gaskill

gaskill

So this week i went to my hook up to see about getting some bikes, and bam, sitting on a table is this Stumpjumper. I looked around and also found the wheels. heres how it looked when i brought it home. I got it in a deal of bikes that i paid a wopping $30 for. I couldn't believe it.
    [​IMG]
    Then my buddy Smoopy had a specialized he had gotten in a pile...I did a little trading and scored it. I thought it was a hard rock, but we took it to a car wash with some oven cleaner and started to investigate what was under the psychedelic paint job. We made out the word stump on the frame while the letters faded away. Needless to say i was super stoked. I couldn't believe that i had found to jumpers in the same week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm restoring the black jumper to original condition. And the red one will be my new rider. I'll post a pic when i make some progress.
    If anyone could give me some exact years for these, that would be great.

5. Beau

Beau

6. Sinner4

Sinner4

A fresh find, Columbia All Terrain Ridge Runner, Unique stem and center pull breaks. 10 Speed with a free hub. All paint is faded and the only frozen part is the seat post. Ran it by Clancy he was thinking its a 83' to 85' Vintage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. gaskill

gaskill

thankyou. that is great help

8. Bendix

Bendix

didn't take long for the discount stores to roll out mtb copies.....i think this one is the worst offender i've seen from the early days...

oooh, it's shiny and chromish- just like a mongoose!

[​IMG]

those brakes (don't) look just like rollercams!

[​IMG]

suntour shifters! oh, wait......

[​IMG]

it must be a ritchey!! the most shameless logo ripoff i think i've ever seen......:oops:

[​IMG]

9. thekid

thekid

my 1983 RITCHEY built up with later (1988) Shimano Deore XT Components,check out that layed back headtube which makes that TANGE front fork way out there![​IMG]

10. 41DX

41DX

xxxxxxx

11. LIVE TO RIDE

LIVE TO RIDE

Looks like your Ritchey is part of the chopper series!!.... thats a crazy relaxed headtube angle.

12. alan67

alan67

13. thekid

thekid

14. Rat Rod

Rat Rod Owner & Founder Head Honcho Moderator

GREAT SCOTT! :shock:

:lol:

15. halsencrew

halsencrew

i got me a 87 kuwahara but needs a few tings like brakes and deriailer put back on wtc but its all there basically

16. Pinche

Pinche

It's not all that old but it's old to me. Paramount PDG30 mid 90's. It originally had a rigid front fork but it was bent and not able to be bent back safely. I didn't want a suspension fork but it was the only 1-1/8" fork I had. I'm still planning on racing with it for this upcoming XC season. Just need to pick up a new fork and wider handlebars and it'll be set. It only ran me 50 for the bike and 100 for new shifters, rear derailleur, chain, grips, v brakes, cables.
    [​IMG]

17. bikeriderx

bikeriderx

Nice! :mrgreen:

18. jaysix

jaysix

This is my 93' Cannondale Delta V 1500.. I got it back in 1997 when I was in 9th grade and proceeded to beat the piss out of it for the next 6 years. I then gave it to my brother to ride back and forth to classes at college and when he moved to South Carolina he gave it back to me and it has been sitting in my parents shed since. I really want to redo it and upgrade it but all the farther I got was ripping it apart and now Im stuck because I dont know the first thing about deraileurs and stuff like that so it may stay the way it is and never get finished. : (

[​IMG]

19. d.rock

d.rock

I was in your same spot, I was going to rebuild my Schwinn World Sport as a single speed since I didn't know jack about deraileurs and such, but I learned a lot just from watching Youtube videos. Search for "how to adjust deraileurs" and a ton of videos will come up. I just took my time with the rebuild, got it cosmetically where I wanted it, and then at the end of the build the deraileurs were the only thing holding me back from finishing it.

There is also the option of going single speed, if your local terrain allows for it. I live near the beach so gears aren't a necessity.

20. TheFlyingDingo

TheFlyingDingo

That is my favorite Vintage mountain bike designs...