VINTAGE MOUNTAIN BIKES

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@41DX

I also had a Comp-Lite in the ano green too! Very nice bikes and handbuilt to aircraft specs in Minneasota!

here's a 1989 diamondback i picked up last year. hard to see the neon pink and green in the pics. nice riding bike.

P1100283.jpg

P1100288.jpg

So this week i went to my hook up to see about getting some bikes, and bam, sitting on a table is this Stumpjumper. I looked around and also found the wheels. heres how it looked when i brought it home. I got it in a deal of bikes that i paid a wopping $30 for. I couldn't believe it.
2011-01-05192527.jpg

Then my buddy Smoopy had a specialized he had gotten in a pile...I did a little trading and scored it. I thought it was a hard rock, but we took it to a car wash with some oven cleaner and started to investigate what was under the psychedelic paint job. We made out the word stump on the frame while the letters faded away. Needless to say i was super stoked. I couldn't believe that i had found to jumpers in the same week.
2011-01-07093956.jpg

2011-01-07094033.jpg

2011-01-07094051.jpg

2011-01-07094010.jpg

I'm restoring the black jumper to original condition. And the red one will be my new rider. I'll post a pic when i make some progress.
If anyone could give me some exact years for these, that would be great.

A fresh find, Columbia All Terrain Ridge Runner, Unique stem and center pull breaks. 10 Speed with a free hub. All paint is faded and the only frozen part is the seat post. Ran it by Clancy he was thinking its a 83' to 85' Vintage.
S5032868.jpg

S5032870.jpg

S5032875.jpg

S5032869.jpg

didn't take long for the discount stores to roll out mtb copies.....i think this one is the worst offender i've seen from the early days...

oooh, it's shiny and chromish- just like a mongoose!

DSC01600.jpg

those brakes (don't) look just like rollercams!

DSC01601.jpg

suntour shifters! oh, wait......

DSC01602.jpg

it must be a ritchey!! the most shameless logo ripoff i think i've ever seen......:oops:

DSC01598.jpg

my 1983 RITCHEY built up with later (1988) Shimano Deore XT Components,check out that layed back headtube which makes that TANGE front fork way out there!
Picture567-1.jpg

i got me a 87 kuwahara but needs a few tings like brakes and deriailer put back on wtc but its all there basically

It's not all that old but it's old to me. Paramount PDG30 mid 90's. It originally had a rigid front fork but it was bent and not able to be bent back safely. I didn't want a suspension fork but it was the only 1-1/8" fork I had. I'm still planning on racing with it for this upcoming XC season. Just need to pick up a new fork and wider handlebars and it'll be set. It only ran me 50 for the bike and 100 for new shifters, rear derailleur, chain, grips, v brakes, cables.
135_0128.jpg

This is my 93' Cannondale Delta V 1500.. I got it back in 1997 when I was in 9th grade and proceeded to beat the piss out of it for the next 6 years. I then gave it to my brother to ride back and forth to classes at college and when he moved to South Carolina he gave it back to me and it has been sitting in my parents shed since. I really want to redo it and upgrade it but all the farther I got was ripping it apart and now Im stuck because I dont know the first thing about deraileurs and stuff like that so it may stay the way it is and never get finished. : (

delta.jpg

jaysix said:
This is my 93' Cannondale Delta V 1500.. I got it back in 1997 when I was in 9th grade and proceeded to beat the piss out of it for the next 6 years. I then gave it to my brother to ride back and forth to classes at college and when he moved to South Carolina he gave it back to me and it has been sitting in my parents shed since. I really want to redo it and upgrade it but all the farther I got was ripping it apart and now Im stuck because I dont know the first thing about deraileurs and stuff like that so it may stay the way it is and never get finished. : (

delta.jpg
I was in your same spot, I was going to rebuild my Schwinn World Sport as a single speed since I didn't know jack about deraileurs and such, but I learned a lot just from watching Youtube videos. Search for "how to adjust deraileurs" and a ton of videos will come up. I just took my time with the rebuild, got it cosmetically where I wanted it, and then at the end of the build the deraileurs were the only thing holding me back from finishing it.

There is also the option of going single speed, if your local terrain allows for it. I live near the beach so gears aren't a necessity.

Latest posts

Back