VINTAGE MOUNTAIN BIKES

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
santana1.JPG

95 Barracuda Cuda Comp (Project phase still)

Tom Teesdale designed and built some of the earliest Barracudas. He put his TET initials on the bb shell. I once had a later model, made in some South East Asian country.

003.jpg

Not really vintage I guess. Probably around 2005. Prototype Ventana, 29" front, 27.5" rear. I also tested a 26" rear. I loved this one with the 27.5". I wanted to call it the Mullet. But I got over ruled. They went with the 26" rear version and called it "El Chucho" (the mutt). The 27.5 size was so new to mtn biking at the time. They didn't know if that size would take off. Not many tire and rim manufacturers were producing that size. So they decided to stay safe with the 26" version.

One of my favorite bikes ever. I built this based on a little know Ventana called The El Toro Bravo. It was orignally a single speed race bike. I set it up for gears, single speed or belt drive. In the forth pic, yes that is after a crash. You can see the notch in the chainstay yoke for belt drive. Eventually 20mph downhills and no rear suspension got me (see fourth pic😵). Another bike I wished I had kept. Again not really vintage but it's a pretty cool bike. Plus you guys are all a bunch of gearheads and love this stuff. Party on Garth!🤘

20150513_164206.jpg
20150516_093417.jpg
20151207_122228.jpg
20151101_103527.jpg

Last edited:
One of my favorite bikes ever. I built this based on a little know Ventana called The El Toro Bravo. It was orignally a single speed race bike. I set it up for gears, single speed or belt drive. In the forth pic, yes that is after a crash. You can see the notch in the chainstay yoke for belt drive. Eventually 20mph downhills and no rear suspension got me (see forth pic😵). Another bike I wished I had kept. Again not really vintage but it's a pretty cool bike. Plus you guys are all a bunch of gearheads and love this stuff. Party on Garth!🤘

View attachment 257723View attachment 257724View attachment 257725View attachment 257727
Love it! Just my style………and it’s green!

I bought a Rockhopper Comp back in 1988 when I used to be a bike mechanic. I had just been out in Aspen with my previous bike and decided it's frame was too big so I sold that and picked up this. I then got a new job shortly after and never rode in the mountains again... and in fact stopped riding bicycles due to a new found infatuation with motorcycles.

Years later I decided to set it up to ride on paved bike trails. The frame was a bit too small for that so I put a taller stem and bars on it, along with a bigger seat and a few other mods. It ended up looking like this

I didn't ride it much after that either. A couple yeaers ago I bought another project that was better suited for paved trails and decided to convert the Rockhopper back to an "offroad" bike, which really meant something to ride on the dirt trails around here.

Here it is in it's current form

I've ridden it on the local "mountain bike" trails once. I learned a lot of things, including it's still not the right size for me and I'm not in nearly the kind of shape I was 34 years ago.

That said I'd kinda like to buy a current Rockhopper and try those trails again...
Forgive me quoting myself but it gives a little background so it seemed not all that inappropriate...

So yeah, I have an old Rockhopper Comp. I thought it was too small. I made lame attempts to find another one in a larger size. gave up. And then stumbled onto one! I'm pretty sure I posted about it here somewhere, but not in this thread, so I thought I'd add a shot of it for prosperity. (It's the one in the stand)

It was the next size larger, and the right year, and the right colors. He was asking way too much for it, but I had to have it and way too much was still not all that much, so I went to check it out. It was in worse shape than the ad let on... but I still bought it. Cuz I'm an idiot. But here they are.

RHCII_6352.JPG

Once I got into it I discovered it was in even worse shape than I thought. And... it was too big for any off road riding. The size I bought the first time was more "right" than this size. Oh well. I ended up turning it into a six speed around town cruiser that I can't find any pictures of!

Latest posts

Back