"Vintage" lugged MTB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re:

Many LBS employees have never ridden anything but Shimano or SRAM. Bunch of pups!

Thanks for the info... Just installed the BBG bash guard. Nice piece, especially for only $18 shipped! Been riding this to class and around the neighborhood trying to wear out these tires, time to get it on the trail.
y3anaquq.jpg

Re:

Thanks!
Anyone know where I can get spacers to ditch the extra rear gears? That dork disc has gotta go also...

So I did some measuring and figured a 650B wheel set should fit... I picked up a Haro Beasley single speed wheel set off eBay for a decent price and got some 2.25" tires. Surly 21t sprocket. Since the hubs are already set up for discs I'll be going that way, going to use the original Dia Comp levers. I REALLY dig the look, and it rides like a completely different bike. Glides over bumps now! Hopefully I'll have the brakes on by next weekend and trail ride it some.
myde2ere.jpg

y7u5a9a4.jpg

I love the original curved Tange fork but I'm a little worried that it might fold up if abused. Thinking about adding some truss rods of some sort to stiffen it up a little. Thoughts?

Lovin' this build dude.
Those tires are baaaaaddddd...and with that lugged frame...perfect.

The truss rods are a great idea, I added a set to my DB rebuild (for looks mostly, it's offroad days are behind it). I added a spacer that is missing in the photo.

DSCF3764_zpsb2e04b11.jpg

Build on brother!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Re:

Thanks! I don't think it's fair to even call this a build though. All I did was take some parts off and put others on... I still haven't been through the BB or the headset, heck I haven't even cleaned it!
Luckily I got a part time gig at a bike shop a couple months ago, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have been able justify the tires, or the whole conversion really. Thankful for that!

Nice work on your bike! I'm really digging on the truss fork that the rigid Jones bikes have. Thinking about building something similar in style to that.

Latest posts

Back