Varsity Rebuild! My lucky find! Updated 6-5

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I had posted this bike in fresh finds. Now its time to get to work on it. I was very lucky to find this. In `71 I bought a new 22" frame orange Varsity. It was made in April as is this recent find. Now I will begin the rebuild.

As found, not bad shape, has most of most of its original parts and very little rust

The teardown begins

6-3-13
The frame and many components have been cleaned, polished and installed. Next up is wheel building. Waiting on the correct seat and fenders to come in the mail.

6-5-13
Front wheel is finished

Rear rim was just to rusty, so I will use the better one shown beside it.

Rear wheel finished and now adjusting gears.

More original parts going back on.

Fenders I picked up from ASBOLTNUT.

Nearing completion. Still waiting on the correct seat that's coming in the mail. I thought the white line tires would be a nice touch.

Today I received the seat from Ozzynut! Thanks OZ. So this project is now done. It rides great and brings back a lot of memories!

Had to do a little work on seat

After repairs

This is the finished bike

Coool! I have a 71 Yellow Varsity myself.. :)
20130616_144321_zpsc6457fa6.jpg

20130616_144411_zps94dc67af.jpg
:D

I've seen this bike in person...it's awesome.

Great back story too being almost identical to the bike you had as a kid.

Nice journaling of the rebuild too! :D

mitsal said:
Coool! I have a 71 Yellow Varsity myself.. :)
20130616_144321_zpsc6457fa6.jpg

20130616_144411_zps94dc67af.jpg
:D
Your Varsity also looks great! If it were the 20" frame it would be exactly like the one my brother bought that same year after he found out he liked riding mine so much! And thanks Steve for the comments. Nice to know that there are a few on RRB that actually viewed the fruits of my labor!

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
handsome bike. The fenders make it.
Thanks, I like them with the fenders. I just don't hardly see them anymore.

Man, that came out real nice, looks like Chevrolet orange, I see you have a couple of sweet looking chevy's in the background that compliment it nicely.

Latest posts

Back