VALUE OF YOUR BIKES?????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some sellers out there that know there are buyers with just that frame of mind..I HAVE TO HAVE IT as I said...there are parts out there and if you wait and research you can save yourself a bunch of cash to buy more stuff with.

Or I guess the biggest thing is the old rusty junk that is going for hundreds of dollars.....WHAAAAAAT??? WHY?

One of my bike hobbies is flipping bikes. It more than supports my fun builds and my keepers.

I even had a bike that I recently bought on CL for $60 and cleaned it and put it back on CL for $330 the very next day. I ended up selling it in about 3 weeks. It was a 7 year old Trek hybrid.

I use expereince and researching CL and ebay prices to decide on what price to ask. I am never in a rush to sell something, so I just wait until the right buyer comes along.

Depending on your area, you can make pretty good money at it. I have made well over $1 :p profit this year on yard sale bikes.

kingfish254 said:
Depending on your area, you can make pretty good money at it. I have made well over $1 :p profit this year on yard sale bikes.

Careful, you might make us all jealous with earnings like that! :wink:

my bike is worth ... ONE BILLION DOLLARS!!!!

*holds pinky finger to corner of mouth*

i don't know what they're worth. i have no plans to sell my main bike. i have maybe $200 in it, $300 at the very most (the little things that add up, but you forget about), plus a lot of time. somebody would have to jump to get me to consider it.

had a chance to maybe find out a couple weekends back. i was riding my main stretch and someone asked if i could build them one. i've never sold one though, so i just pointed him to ebay and told him to use "stretch cruiser" as the search words.

kinda wish i would have tried though now. i could use the money, i have the extra bikes made already (basic ones i made for family members who weren't interested in them), and i'd kinda just like to see stretches gain some local popularity. i have no idea what i'd sell one for. i was thinking maybe $100, or a bit less if i didn't have to come up with handlebars for it.

Odd- I wrote a post with pics and everything yesterday, but it didn't get posted. User error, no doubt.
Anyway- I draw a distinction between the value of my bikes, and their market price. I've had my three old Schwinns since 1980, and each one now has a long history with me. Those bikes have many years of riding, storing, moving, fixing, keeping an eye out for that one little missing piece, and then getting to take them for a cruise and knowing that the bikes are going to draw attention, remarks, and maybe even a small crowd if I stop for a soda, of a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Not to mention the time I've spent just looking at the bikes as if they were movies, or something- just diggin' how absolutely flat out KOOL.

I could sell the machines for a few hundred bucks each.
I couldn't get a dime for any of the things that give the bikes their value.

JWM

jwm said:
Odd- I wrote a post with pics and everything yesterday, but it didn't get posted. User error, no doubt.

I think if you write a new post on here but accidentally leave the Subject blank, when you click submit it just disappears.

Purchased for $10.oo at The recycle Depot

I spent one hour cleaning it, and sold it that night on Craigslist for $285.oo
I shoulda kept it!!!.... it's a MINT early 80's Japanese Road Bike, in my size :D :D

0025-2.jpg

0023-1.jpg

Heeee's Baaaaaaaack!!!!!!!!! :lol: 8)

Clothespin n said:
Purchased for $10.oo at The recycle Depot

I spent one hour cleaning it, and sold it that night on Craigslist for $285.oo
I shoulda kept it!!!.... it's a MINT early 80's Japanese Road Bike, in my size :D :D

0025-2.jpg

0023-1.jpg

I love all the responses. Sure shows the passion some have for this hobby. I'm into building for fun and to challenge myself to learn new mechcanical skills. I have never tried to sell anyo f the bikes I build. I started this POST just to see what the thoughts were out there. I watch CL and EBAY just to see whats out there and gets some ideas. But lately I have been seeing some really ridiculous ad's so I had to ask the question.

I realize that different areas demand different prices...sad to say the Phoenix market is pretty bad. I have said it before and I will say it again...for this area being so big, the BIKE situation here really sucks. I would have thought there would be a bike swap meet or something along those lines more often. There isn't a word said about these things. Guess I should shut my mouth and start my own meets right?? ha ha I know.

Check out Phoenix Craigslist sometime. The same guys post the same bikes day after day. :( There is one guy in Mesa that builds nice bikes yet he can't sell those things. Kinda sad...they are nice. But then again the reason for the post is " HOW MUCH IS IT WORTH" obviously not what he is asking.

I cant put a value on my bikes.

I have too much time,love and $ put into all of them.I could never get out of them what they are worth to me.

I let a couple of them go and took a beating and kinda regret it.(cant keep them all)

My friends have them...I can still see them.

naturephotoboy3 said:
I love all the responses. Sure shows the passion some have for this hobby. I'm into building for fun and to challenge myself to learn new mechcanical skills. I have never tried to sell anyo f the bikes I build. I started this POST just to see what the thoughts were out there. I watch CL and EBAY just to see whats out there and gets some ideas. But lately I have been seeing some really ridiculous ad's so I had to ask the question.

I realize that different areas demand different prices...sad to say the Phoenix market is pretty bad. I have said it before and I will say it again...for this area being so big, the BIKE situation here really sucks. I would have thought there would be a bike swap meet or something along those lines more often. There isn't a word said about these things. Guess I should shut my mouth and start my own meets right?? ha ha I know.

Check out Phoenix Craigslist sometime. The same guys post the same bikes day after day. :( There is one guy in Mesa that builds nice bikes yet he can't sell those things. Kinda sad...they are nice. But then again the reason for the post is " HOW MUCH IS IT WORTH" obviously not what he is asking.

I would disagree with you about the Phoenix area being bad for the hobby. There was just a huge swap in Tucson two weekends ago, I hauled tons of vintage parts down at dirt cheap prices and still hauled a bunch back. The CAzB swaps in Phoenix arn't too bad, you just have to show up early in the morning to get the good deals. East Mesa is a great place to look for old bikes because of all the snow birds, but you can't do it from your computer. Early mornings and estate sales in the East Valley are your best friends for scoring old bikes in the PHX area. Cruiser culture is huge in Tempe and Phoenix, I read that the Tempe Tour de Fat is the second biggest one in the country. I think you need to keep looking, old bikes are generally hard to find no matter what city you live in.

Tempe-Terror said:
naturephotoboy3 said:

I would disagree with you about the Phoenix area being bad for the hobby. There was just a huge swap in Tucson two weekends ago, I hauled tons of vintage parts down at dirt cheap prices and still hauled a bunch back. The CAzB swaps in Phoenix arn't too bad, you just have to show up early in the morning to get the good deals. East Mesa is a great place to look for old bikes because of all the snow birds, but you can't do it from your computer. Early mornings and estate sales in the East Valley are your best friends for scoring old bikes in the PHX area. Cruiser culture is huge in Tempe and Phoenix, I read that the Tempe Tour de Fat is the second biggest one in the country. I think you need to keep looking, old bikes are generally hard to find no matter what city you live in.

I took my family to the Tour de fat in tempe. It was actually pretty cool. Tons of great bikes. I asked around to see where people were getting their parts and bikes and no one really wanted to give up info.

So finding bikes around here is not all that bad....but the parts finding is horible. Craigslist in Phoenix for bikes is a joke. Once in a while I find some good deals. Just bought a Schwinn Hollywood for $25. It's mising the rims but everything else is there. And again there are some really cool bikes for sale on there...BUT..these guys want $600 for a Krate and day after day after month this guy list's the same bikes with no sales. I might want to drop the price a bit or stop listing them if you really dont want or need to sell.

Any ideas of local bike shops to get cool tires??

Usually I look for complete bikes that I can restore and ride. The parts in general are easy to find on line...I just hate doing that. Would be nice to have a reliable source right here in town. Or it would be really nice to have a swap meet or some kind of deal like that every month.

I think the main problem with craigslist is that most of the people who look at it are flippers, regardless of weather it's bikes, cars, whatever. So they call lots of ads with lowball offers, and sometimes they pick something up cheap. But then trying to resell it can be a problem! ..I posted some of my guitars for sale on the Musician's forum, and after 150+ views, no interest, despite their being priced fairly cheap. I've not bothered to try fixing up any bikes, as the local economy + the "I could buy one cheaper at Walmart" philosophy make it not worth the time. -Adam

No matter what you try to sell on Craigslist 99% of the time you get brainless lowballers offering you ZERO for what you have. But thats what CL is all about. Is any of us shocked??? But for free what do you expect?.

It would be nice to find a local Bike shhop that stocked an assortment of cool tires and rims. The on-line shopping sucks. I like to see what i am buying before I buy it.

Latest posts

Back