Upside Down Xcess - Finished - New You Tube 8/6/12

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Flipper - Update Wheel Mock Up - BB & Seat Tube 5/28/12

thanx guys, the metal was still hot when I took those pictures.

I was worried about getting everything lined up, but am relieved that both welds look exactly where I wanted them to be.

This is gonna be cool! Don't worry about what the welds look like, that's what they make grinders for. :lol: They look solid & that is what really matters! 8)

yeah, they cleaned up pretty good. a little filler and they will be smooth.

I made sure that I had a good puddle going, so, I got enough penetration.
I'm just too shakey applying the filler rod.
Oxy-Acetylene is all I have to work with.

FLIPPER APPROVES!!!!!!!!!!!!Lookin' good bro!
flipper.jpg

Re: Flipper - Update new drop outs 6/10/12

With the bike swap meet and taking care of stuff around the house, I didn't get much done on Flipper this week end.

The stock drop outs on my frame would be just that, if my wheel came loose! Need to change the direction for safety, plus I want to move the rear tire back an inch or so for the thick bricks to clear the frame.

image2297.jpg

Rustled up this beat up old BMX frame I've had laying around forever.

image2298.jpg

image2299.jpg

image2300.jpg

Got the drop outs cut off and cleaned up. Now I need to shape them to fit my frame and weld them on.

image2302.jpg

Re: Flipper - Update new drop outs 6/10/12

Those beasts should work out great!

Re: Flipper - Update new drop outs welded 6/17/12

Happy Father's Day to all you Dads!

Part of "my " day was I got to work on the bike build some this afternoon.

I got the BMX drop outs cut down and fitted to the frame's drop outs.

I'm thinking of cutting them out a bit to make them more "swoopy" looking, or drill some "lightening" holes ala salt flat racer style.

What do you think?

I welded them up to the frame, which basically finishes up the frame.
Time to clean everything up, strip the paint and go into the "body shop" to smooth everything out and get it ready for paint.

image2349.jpg

image2350.jpg

image2351.jpg

image2352.jpg

image2348.jpg

Re: Flipper - Update new drop outs welded 6/17/12

Man those are some beefy drops!!
I like your idea of holes. Maybe from bigger to smaller.
Wings would be cool too!
Or bunny ears!

Re: Upside Down Xs - New drops welded 6/17/12 and Name Change

"Flipper" just seems to be too tame a name for where this is going, so I'm calling my one name change card to avoid any fish and bunny bumps. :D

Upsidedown Xs from here on out! :mrgreen:

Well, I couldn't find an X-Men Bunny to go with your new name, so here is then next best thing

287054-72477-bugs-bunny_super.jpg

Super Bugs! Thanks kingfish!

I'm thinking some holes top and bottom big to little like you suggest. plenty strong with all that metal there.

Re: Upside Down Xs - Some Progress to Report 6/24/12

I got some things done this week-end, but there's not a lot to see.

Installed the BB and new chain ring along with the rear wheel to check out the chain line.
Much to my relief, the chain line will be good, it will not rub the tire or the frame.

Installed the steer tube from the chopper fork, marked and cut the steer tube down to fit the frame head tube.
I'll take the steer tube by a LBS tomorrow and get the star nut installed.

I decided to add a rack, so I bent the braces out to clear the Thick Bricks, and have it c-clamped onto the drop outs.
A bit more adjustment will be in order, but I think I'm going to like using this rack.
My son, the artist, agrees that the triangles go well with the frame, but he kept saying he does not know bikes!
Let me know what you think?????

DSC02361640.jpg

I'm keen to see more of this, got an upside down bike of my own I've been considering, this could be the catalyst!

I like the rack as long as you paint it to match or contrast with your color scheme.

I am really surprised that there aren't more of the creme bricks floating out there in BO7.

I'm thinking your son,the artist,DOES know bikes :wink:

yeah, I'm thinking it makes the bike look longer, less like a bobber.

I do like the bobber look, but the frame on those MC's flow up at an angle,
this one will sit with a horizontal line, even with the chopper forks stretched out to the front.

I should be able to get a more completed view for you next week. I'm going to put it all together, then tear it back down to paint it.

Yep, kingfish, the rack will be painted and I have a small surprise for you.

Re: Upside Down Xs -Frame stripped - ready for paint 7/5/12

I took the week off work over the 4th of July and have some progress to show.

I had some issues to work out with the triple tree chopper forks, but it's fitted and in good shape now.

I got the bike pretty much together and rode it up and down the block just to check things out.

I spent about a day making up some brackets and fitting and painting them and the rear rack.

So, today I stripped all the parts back down and stripped the original paint.

image5537.jpg

Then I got the frame wet sanded and washed off with my power washer.

image5539.jpg

image5534.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to pick out a final color and buy some primer and get some of the nicks and scars bondo'd up.

I hope to have final color paint on it by Sunday.

Re: Upside Down Xs - Some Progress - 7/8/12 - Frame Painted

I finally got the frame in shape to be painted today.

I used 2 cans of Dupli-Color Primer and Bondo to fix all the boo-boos on the frame, and it was finally ready for the color coat today.

The color is a little bit darker than the original color, and I am happy with it.
Mrs jerrykr is the one who suggested that the original color goes well with the Thick Bricks, and I agree with her.

image2369.jpg

I also used Dupli-Color Effex Clear Coat which adds the metal flake sparkles.

image2371.jpg

image2368.jpg

The frame is now up in my attic where it gets around 115F in the heat of the day. That should cure the paint. :D

I also got a lot of parts ready to be installed, so it may start going back together next week-end.

Latest posts

Back