* Update * Need BMX Help...! Maybe '80's...?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I know some of you guys are knowledgeable about BMX bikes, (RatRod this means you:)) I however am not.
I have two, I think to be "Classic" BMX bikes and would LOVE any info anyone could give me to what they are, and relative worth.
I plan to sell them on CL in Phoenix. The last time I sold a BMX I sold it for $100 and moments later had other guys offering me $300 - $500. I don't want to repeat that mistake.

The first one I picked up on CL for the pedals. I think it's mid maybe late '80's ? From what I can make out it might say "SK 500".

The second bike a friend gave me, knowing I work on and sell bikes. My gut feeling is that this one is more of a trick BMX ?

EDIT: So I cleaned up the second bike and got better shots of it.
The Serial # is "M7IC11439"/"216966"
I'm going to try and post on BMX Museum as well, but I would love it if any of you could give me a price idea, which they won't do on BMX Museum.

I don't think either of these are Wally World bikes. I've seen enough of them to know, (at least that's what I hope).

Thanks in advance guys, I hope you all can help.
I can take more pictures if that would be helpful to anyone.

Last edited:
try the bmxmuseum.com
They will help you with the brand/model. Try to find any serial number. Don't ask the price, they will delete your post.
Then make researches on google yourself

marius thank you for your reply
I had done some "google" searches, but thought since I've been active here, I thought I'd start with you guys, (never had a bad experience here).
Spending a few hours scanning "Everything", I've found the top BMX is "ST Racing", apparently Huffy built with Stu Thomsen. i found this later model
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=445733
also this e-bay posting
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vintag...052?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3ccd2174
Neither matches up with the crank which doesn't look Huffy to me.
The graphics Definitely are early to mid 80's, as well as the pedals.
I would Love more info anyone can give though.

The second BMX, the closest frame I could find is a mid 80s Kuwahara trick frame, but there are minor differences. Minor differences can be Big in the type of bikes I'm familliar with, so once again Any Info would be Greatly Appreciated.

First frame is definitely Huffy Built, and Huffy did sell "Stu Thomsen" models (well-documented), and there are other references to Huffy bikes with ST Racing decals on them. Regardless, your frame/fork set looks like a Huffy Pro Thunder to me; I reckon that they might've had a pile of those frames, and put various different decals on them?
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/huffy/52733 Here's a chrome example that looks much like yours in most of the details.--Notice the dropouts and the gusset at the headtube. I'd date your bike from, say, '80 to '85. Probably made close to '80, and they may have tried to move some dead stock but rebadging them as "ST" bikes? That's my straight-out-the-butt guesstimate.... Hope it helps.

As for the second bike, i have no clue.... but there's enough idiosyncracies to help you narrow it down.... the frame has under-the-chainstay 990 mounts and a coaster tab on the seatstay, which is a pretty funky combo. The twin top tubes to the grab rail are not very common, either. I started lookin at some Torkers, but that seems like a dead end. Someone on bmxmuseum will have it ID'd in about 40 seconds, but they'll also try to make yoju feel stupid about it....

I got no clue about the worth of these things....

Hey guys. I edited my post here and took better pictures of the somewhat cleaned second BMX.
(See new pics above, including Serial #.)
As suggested I did post on bmxmuseum.com, but I would love your help because I know this forum and trust you guys.
I know some of you have good knowledge of BMXs, so please help.
Thanks again.

stick to it, the answers will come as soon as the knowing members log in. Nice frames!:113:

I've"figured out"(?) what kind of BMX's they are. A Bmxmuseum guy helped with the second bike.
The first BMX is a Huffy built Stu Thomsen, early '80's before he started designing his own bikes.

The second "freestyle" BMX is apparently a Raleigh Electro Shock, circa mid 80's.

Now that I have ID's for the bikes, can you guys help me with what they might be worth. Like I said in my intro I'm putting them on CL Phoenix and want to ask a realistic price where I'm not giving them away.
Thanks again in advance for any input.

Apparently the 2nd BMX, the 'freestyle", is actually a Raleigh Hyper Shock, 1986 or 87. They didn't do too many chrome versions of the "Shock" model.

So once again any of you BMX aficionados, any help on what these are worth would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Well I posted these for $100 and $200 respectively.
If any of you think that's out of line, (or you're interested) let me know.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back