Unofficial March Shootout

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm feeling the same way, garage is starting to warm up a bit, every time I get out there, I'm tempted to start throwing things together. I probably should have used the 7 degree weather we had to sling some paint, but rules is rules!

There's a few Bicycle Simulator apps that you may be able to use on Samsung to pass the time .

android-eats-apple-grab-the-wallpaper-android-central.jpg

Looking at wide tires for Schwinn HD build . I want the widest tires that will fit for sandy beach riding . After measuring a few things , looks like 3" (Plus size ) will fit the frame . The Jamis Boss donor bike has some wide Odyssey U brakes and Weinmann AS7X 1.75 wheels . Think I can get these tires to fit ?
Surly
Knard 26 x 3" 120tpi Tire

shipsfree.png

NG5sVjqiLlnQsyJhDi4N9lj7OXYapaVxX89qvV7EMpUKOviDkbHsEuBQKsmE5EH6wesLobA5a_piymMFR5ZxvHMnUOE=s390-l75-e7-rw

C9naQ-gu764RRPYk0xIP2HglbIpXpkbOemkh4CmLUA8urQehrDuLGxOdRzsLbgnFKGjU2lqC4OG_W_e9hoApUnZGRng=s390-l75-e7-rw

XwRKCEfj9wQngj83cCQmB5mF4ox_PptMbpkJyrmYiqUd7kP2Pf5CES28ZEwWoi24iW8v05EiZkcTPMErdlk5FDbkgozdxg=s390-l75-e7-rw

NG5sVjqiLlnQsyJhDi4N9lj7OXYapaVxX89qvV7EMpUKOviDkbHsEuBQKsmE5EH6wesLobA5a_piymMFR5ZxvHMnUOE=s390-l75-e7-rw

Own it now for
$3500
orig: $9000 save 61%

Put me down for a maybe. I want to fix up my Fuji Folder in time for my son's birthday the end of April as he has he as laid claim to the bike. So maybe I'll start it March. He's good with not painting it, so I may not paint it, just to keep the rattiness. LOL
IMG_20190825_123533.jpg

Looking at wide tires for Schwinn HD build . I want the widest tires that will fit for sandy beach riding . After measuring a few things , looks like 3" (Plus size ) will fit the frame . The Jamis Boss donor bike has some wide Odyssey U brakes and Weinmann AS7X 1.75 wheels . Think I can get these tires to fit ?
I have pics of my HD with 2.4" tires on it on this thread...
https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/i...ers-and-frame-comparisons.96642/#post-1127854
...there is some good reading on that thread concerning HDs, and other industrials, as well.

I think bigger than 2.4" is a sure thing. I think 3", especially on a wider rim, will take some adjusting to make happen. Might need to borrow a large precision engineering tool ...
7dec31b697dc691d2f32eea0815f3eba.jpg

I have pics of my HD with 2.4" tires on it on this thread...
https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/i...ers-and-frame-comparisons.96642/#post-1127854
...there is some good reading on that thread concerning HDs, and other industrials, as well.

I think bigger than 2.4" is a sure thing. I think 3", especially on a wider rim, will take some adjusting to make happen. Might need to borrow a large precision engineering tool ...
View attachment 114573
This is a 2.5" Kenda K Rad mounted to my Chuck SHD it appears that I could go 3.5" ? So I think I'm going to give the 3" Surly Knards a try ,
any thoughts before I make the jump ?

krad.jpg

Hmm... interesting. Have you measured the actual width of your K-Rad, as the fit looks way different than mine. Also...the limiting area on mine isn't the seat stays, but the chain stays.

I'll measure my 2.4 tonight...I think I have before and it was close to advertised, but I could be mis-remembering.

There are a couple variables on fitment. Width of rim for sure. Personally I like wide rims with a slimmer tire, gives them a lower profile. But hub width can spread the stays a bit. Also you can add to the dimples on the insides of your stays, with some extra crimpage to eek out a bit of room if need be.

Carl.

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk

There are a couple variables on fitment. Width of rim for sure. Personally I like wide rims with a slimmer tire, gives them a lower profile. But hub width can spread the stays a bit. Also you can add to the dimples on the insides of your stays, with some extra crimpage to eek out a bit of room if need be.

Carl.

I like the looks of a wide rims with a slimmer tires also . But sandy conditions like a big foot print with low tire pressure .

Also I've been rebuilding guitars to hide my time.
57ca9e927500ca534ed6204349a51901.jpg
d5f38b75599ff3620af46e72855b7e2a.jpg
e41fafc43a18d19d7be3159b1f817db9.jpg

Rat rod guitars?

How about rat rod trains? LOL
0d6363e307c541cc1bab8e1aa77f9e59.jpg
a5ee7c9de6bd332bac587955b78aa0ef.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

K-RADS mounted on 1.75 rims are 2.5" .Seat stays measure 3.5" . Chain stays are 3.25 " . Fork legs are also 3.5" . Maybe @ind-chuckz is actually thor in disguise ?
I only get 3.5" on the seat stays up to just over halfway to the tire...at where the bulgiest part of my tire I'm down to 2.95". Chain stays are 3.25" until just shy of the rim, and then start their curve in.

IMG_20200227_230906636.jpg

This pic is with the chain off and the wheel pulled all the way back in the drops...max clearance :nod:. Distance from knobby to stay in this pic is just under .12"...with the axle all the way back.

My tires are low...and I don't have an air gauge here. Back measured 2.25"…front 2.24". (aired up the front some, now 2.27"). So, for every .1" you add in tire width, you add .05" to the tire cross section radius. Going to a 2.45" (+.2" to my measured 2.25") will eat up .1" of my .12" chain stay clearance, leaving .02"... which isn't much :grin:.

It could be that there were changes over the years of the HD...you may have more room than me. Some ideas to maximize tire size would be to lengthen the dropout slots...or, some judicious tube crushing like Carl mentioned...or, more radically, remove the kickstand mount and reshape the chainstays.

Latest posts

Back